1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was the first Kombi club member you met and where was it?

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by mish13, Aug 21, 2010.

1. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Aaaaaah, those were the days, weren't they lovely fella?!? :heart:

I think the first people I met face to face were Joe (Kanaka) and Col (cbus) at the SuperAmart carpark on the way to a run.

Actually, I lie. It would have been Jae - he came around within the first week I bought Lola and was kind enough to loan me his VW Manual to check through a few things. Bless his little cotton socks!

2. Royce

Royce Active Member

Wow, I think it was the 2007 Bus Stop, and we were checking in at Sutton , and this bloody tall clown was in front on me, in full drag - god did I feel underdressed!

3. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

I met my first KC member long before the penny dropped!
    I attended a BBQ once and another KC member was coming along..."Live N Direct" - Rowan. As soon as he arrived I thought "omg, I know this bloke!". All the while as each of us had been posting on the KC for some time not realizing that we worked 15 metres apart at the same company!!!

Technically, my first real life meeting was Necro, Marty and Paul when we met to salvage some gear at a wrecker followed by a BBQ. A great crew to start with!
    Rich

4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

First memeber met was Kyra at VW Nationals 2009

5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

:eek: My memory is not that good but I'm sure it was Roy, when we were buying for parts for Maggie off Ebay and went to pick up more from 'Classic VW Pacific' as 'The Bus Stop' was known as then.

6. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

The first KC Members I met face-to-face, were Woz, Alice and Marty when I flew down to buy Daisy in Melbourne in November '07. It was at Warrandyte up the Yarra, while they were having their Kombis featuring in a music video shoot. Actually, I even remember the date: 24th November - Federal Election Day! Daisy's test-drive consisted of the previous owner taking me to a polling booth that could do Interstate absentee votes...

But I digress - physically meeting Woz & Marty was just a follow-up for all of the great work that they had done during their pre-purchase checks for me. Plus they had to make sure I was in tip-top shape for my big trip back up to Brissy, being rather green to the whole Kombi ownership thing at that stage and all. ;)

7. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Tom. He camped next to us at the first Easter Bustop in Canberra.

Ian

8. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

Kombi Rescue as I bought a great bus off him in Byron...
    after that an early Brissy crew for a trip out to Somerset Dam...boy was it hot that day !

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Old Dubber and that was before the KC started :D think it was at a client seminar.

When the KC formed it was Roy and most memorable Happy Hippy (aka Kalvin) at Run to the Sun @ Bribie Island a few years back (Yes Run to the Sun has been around for a while and think it was 2 Bribie get togethers then it slid sort of for the Steve Irwin Day for 2 years and then reborn in 2009)

10. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Like Bert I was around before the KC started.. so I have met a few of the "pre KC original members" years beforehand.
    I remember getting a email from Roy asking if I knew of any kombi 4 sale he could buy :lol:

I also went to the 1st Run By the Sun at Bribie Island...that was a great weekend.
    There I met a few of you....but one stood out....Lorraine...
    we had heaps in common so we stuck up a great friendship straight away....as did with many that weekend :)
    & I was the only one who went in a beetle...BWAHHHH
    my bug was the 1st bug to go to many KC events...copped alot of sh** over it...but I still keep coming....proved it wasn't what you drive.....its the friendships that you make ;)

11. marcus

marcus Member

First person I met was Melissa at the Heatherbrae Shell Servo for the Central Coast meet up for Bus Stop 09, She was, and is so friendly. From that point on it was Shaun & Wendy.

Couldnt say a bad word about anyone, had a great first "event" and while im kombiless at the moment i miss the people as much as the kombi :(

12. YogiDub

YogiDub Member

We meet Roy at Dubs by the Pub 2009

Then our first campover at Paul & Lynn's Cornish capers, I taught the campers Yoga next to their pool - great memory of all doing tree pose beautifully xx

13. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Let me think... probably

Kombi Rescue (Steve Muller) when he rescued Janie 1 for me, then...

probably in this order when we had a driveway meet & BBQ at my place...

KOM123 (Scott)
    Jerry's Bus (Chris)
    Syncro (Phil)
    Bazzamon

Then it was probably Melissa at The Canberra Bus Stop... I arrived on Saturday morning just as everyone was heading out on a trial.

Then I met a pirate and a scary clown...! :wtf: :lol:

Baz

14. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Had to be Threshermans in carlton. Apart from that the Elzymers has taken over!

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I'm liking the idea of not just the first, but the next few you met. !:)

Coz I thought it was Melissa prior to Old Bar 2009, when we cruised into town in a convoy of 2 two tone blue T3 Caravelles, till I remembered I met Paul prior.:rolleyes:

Then it was Lorraine, Doc, Mish, Craig, amongst others, in an overload onslaught of KCer's attending Old Bar 2009! :eek:

:lol:

16. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

This look familiar, Leanne? ;)
    [​IMG]

17. arkemup

arkemup Member

On our first trip to Pottsville in Eleanor went for a drive to Nimbin and guess who:eek: Hi Lorraine:lol:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  18. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I knew alice a fair while before I had anything to do with the club.

But then I went to a meet in Melbourne and met a few crew :D

19. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

As with Alpal, for me it was a KC "coffee and chat" at Threshermans in Carlton.

Present on the day were Alan and Carol, Woz and Alice, Rod and Marg and I'm sure there was at least one other there on the day, but I can't for the life of me remember who:umm:

That was back in July 2009. I've been to several camp-overs, including Bus Stop 2010 since then with various KC members and to my dying day I'll swear that buying a Kombi was the best days work I ever did:D

Incidentally, what's happened to those lovely Sunday afternoon coffees in Victoria??????? We haven't really had one since the very successful Yarra Bend meet:mad:

20. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Alpal has organised one for next weekend in St Andrews .... Alice and I have been busy the half dozen weekends so haven't been able to attend any meets, hence haven't organised any - but I will post one up for next month unless someone beats me to it! :)

As for the first KC members I met - well I think that may also have been on a Sunday coffee meet, at Thresherman's, Jan 06 2007. :) Pat, Necro, Marty, Cammo and Paul were amongst the attending members ....

[​IMG]