Who was the first Kombi club member you met and where was it?

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by mish13, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

After meeting Royce, the next members I met were Lorraine & Andy followed by Michelle & Adrian on the Friday before Camp Keen.
    In at the deep end, Camp Keen for MardiGrass 2009,met so many people but the first two were Julian & Melly as they parked next to me at Nimbin showground after the convoy. :lol:
    On the way home it was meeting Jon Ward (&Sammie) for the first time. Picked up some wheels & tyres from Mr.Ward to deliver to Brendon (Redhotchilliwilli). It certainly was a week of meeting people.
    It was a hell of an introduction to the Kombi Club . :cool:

2. Sweeney

Sweeney New Member

Mine was you Don! Way before my kombi enthusiasm even began! Well the enthusiasm was there, but i never actually thought i'd end up with a kombi!

3. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

Random Meets

My first knowing encounter with a KC member was with Geoff Downes who sold us Muriel only a few months ago. (Found Muriel on carsales.com.au) Don't think he posts anymore though...

And then I met Grady at the local swimming pool - turns out we had been "meeting up" every Wednesday for at least 6 months without knowing... my children have swimming lessons where he works! :eek:

Small Kombi World! :D

(Oh, and my 3rd was only two days ago... MrP in Emerald!!) :)

4. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

I went to a Kombiclub meet at a cafe in Melbourne. I remember walking in and Dave (Necro) and Marty were sitting next to each other and I thought Dave was Marty's dad. Sorry Dave......and Marty :p

5. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

that's classic :D

6. Schtailhainus

Schtailhainus New Member

My first and only so far was Billy (Martini Olive), on the Nepean Highway in Mornington, Vic. I was driving back to work in my painting/work ute which has my name all over it and I spotted a kombi ahead with a Kombi Club sticker on the back. After numerous lane changes and hold-ups, I was able to pull up alongside. This was when the thought occured to me that... 1, He does not know me,... 2, I'm in a commodore ute,...and 3, If he looks over, this could get weird.
    So the traffic in my lane sped up before I got to look like a total tool and a feeling of awkward relief swept over me.
    5 seconds later Billy goes flying by waving like a loon with a big grin, obviously having read the signwriting.
    I too, waved like a loon.
    Even after finishing the bottleshop I was painting at some stupid hour, only to open the fridge at home to find it empty, I was still a happy little vegemite.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

And Marty does not look THAT young!

8. another Harvey

another Harvey New Member

My first KC member I met was Beerdoc years ago in the Elephant's cellar.. umm.. as it were.
    As I remember, in his hands he had approximately 2 washout cups, 1 fob detector, coils of BEVA lines, 3 keg couplers, 6 snaplocks, several compressor spanners, a gas lead, 2 regulators, a bag of non-return valves and a cup of coffee while delegating to staff, placate a Hotelier, answer his phone and politely answer my scientific question which would have been something like..
    "So, you're the Doc. Can you tell me what glycol is?"
    :wtf:

9. Doc

Doc Active Member

Lorraine and Andy in a pub in Gunnedah .....think they were passing through ........little did I know what I was getting into. Lorraine had a flower in her hair and Andy the regulation Hawaiin shirt :D Seems like years ago and just the other day.

10. greenbay

greenbay New Member

jon ward:eek:

11. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

For me 1st member was probably also KombiRescue when I got my 76 off Steve in Sydney. Then Kev76 guys when they passed through here heading west and popped in for a cuppa. Then Dan_b when he passed through heading the other way.
    Then Don & Lorraine in Nimbin followed by the many at the KC Xmas party 09.
    Only one I have seen this year is 3 amigos Dad :) in Mt Isa.

12. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

That was a hell of an introduction, Jono. I seem to recall the weather was somewhat warm ( at least for a southerner like me).:lol:
    You coming down for the party this year? If so, you'd better bring the T3 & not wimp out with the 'Cruiser.

13. Kombi Kapers

Kombi Kapers Active Member

Pre-Easter 2010 - I was looking for the kombi convoy from QLD heading for Mt Gambier and thought the best bet was to head for the Coledale NSW camping ground. And there they were.... 2 women huddled under a pine tree drinking coffee, trying to keep dry in the drizzle.

I said " You look like kombi people" (great opening line!)

Melissa and Judy replied "We heard you coming, ha ha"

And from this humble beginning some great kombi friendships have been forged. Looking forward to catching up with a bunch more at Old Bar.

John

14. BelnMic

BelnMic New Member

Who was the first Kombi club member you met and where was it?
    We met up at the Ballina Car show a few years back- Lorraine, Judy, Kelly, Celia, Mish. We took the holden:umm: and followed a fleet of kombi's back to Judy's for an early dinner. Was a nice sunny day, instant kombi love was formed. Thank you :heart:

15. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

You got a good memorie simsy the only not thing right would be the Coffee Dont have pub cof and always sit down no take aways ha ha

16. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Sorry ,to stay in focus with the thread, I cant remember the first ,but i know a lot now and they are all cool cats and look forward to meeting more

17. texmextiger

texmextiger New Member

Meet Alpal at a petrol station in Eltham. I was in search of a middle seat for my microbus and thought I would consult him. Very brief encounter.

18. Alpal

But memorable! Maybe a Yarra Valley crew meet one day?

19. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I live a few hundred metres from the Yarra - does that count? ;)

20. Alpal

The REAL Yarra Valley Wozzicle!