Wilson's Promontory

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by Marty, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Marty

Marty Active Member

[​IMG]

A few hours out of Melbourne, Wilson's Prom is a great place to stay for a weekend. The Tidal River site is very well equipped with facilities etc but it's best to bring your own food. In summer it can get very busy, but if you can stand it being cold & windy then early winter is perfect!

[​IMG]

There are some great walks and even better views, especially on a day with not too many clouds.
    In this photo Tidal River is just to the right of the upper part of the beach, where the treecover is a bit patchy.

[​IMG]

There are lots of rosellas, wombats etc around who make for great company, but don't leave food in the tent if you're tenting because the wombat got half-way through ours!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Marty

Marty Active Member

3. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Nice one Marty...i'll be sure to checkout this beautiful area when i'm in the neighbourhood.Thanks for sharing :)

4. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

I agree, the Prom is a great place to go. Plenty of walking trails close by, plus great some great views of the ocean, and some burnt out forests as well.
    It was actually the first place that soph and I took Sebastian, and was were kombikakes were invented!!

[​IMG]

5. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

Yep, have to agree with you, it's a magical place. Beautiful beaches with a really wild, untouched sense about them. In the daylight a wombat let my daughter & I get within petting distance; we could hear his teeth grinding and smell his breath. It was amazing. The wild birds are beautiful too, very friendly.

6. 4tune8

4tune8 New Member

you have to check out 'squeaky' beach too.......fine white silica sand, and if you look carefully, some huge whale bones in the dunes.....a good overnight walk to the lighthouse too, has accomodation in the old keepers huts.

cheers
    peter

7. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

Great spot. Watch out for the whale though!

8. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

Sorry forgot the photos of whale rock. Fantastic campsite, great wildlife but can be REALLY cold.

Attached Files:

9. Michael

Michael Member

Agree, wonderful spot. Walking, surfing, fishing, or just generally kicking back. Just beautiful.
    I see from the pics you did the walk up Mt.Oberon, worth the effort...what a view.
    And as for wildlife? ...stopped and said hey to a wallabie as I was walking up the trail back from a surf. The wildlife down there is unreal.

How about a convoy down there one weekend? I'd be up for it.
    Be well.

10. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

Just had a lovely few nights after Easter camping at The Prom. Squeaky Beach was gorgeous, facilities good. Wouldn't want to be there in the peak times though, I think it would be way too crowded.... you'd hear the neighbours snoring with the wombats!!

11. Hally

Hally Member

Apparently National Park entry fees are going to be abolished soon. Apart from Buffalo, Hotham, Buller and Falls Creek.

Even more incentive to go.

Cheers
    Hally

12. london_mike

london_mike New Member

Just got back from a week at The Prom - first time there and enjoyed every minute!
    Spotted four or five kombis too (including a small dsk/luft group).

Check out some of my photos here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  13. KOMBI NIKO

KOMBI NIKO Member

Learned to surf down there as a 10 year old and go back every year since :) Great place to explore new waves.

14. micklyan

micklyan Member

l am lucky enough to work down here looking after the walking tracks for the past 17 years.It's only a half hour trip in the Kombi from home and we even come down for two weeks holidays with the kiddos over xmas....sad l know. However, if you have'nt been down you must put it on the to-do list. Best times are outside of school holidays,feb-march,and you can always find a beach with nobody on it....lovely. And yes l get to see and meet some beautiful Kombi's and their owners Mick

15. micklyan

micklyan Member

waterloo (2).jpg Little Waterloo Bay looking tempting for a swim

16. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

How lucky are you to work down in that beautiful area.....remember camping down there during January! We were playing cards in the tent....trying to be quiet...really...trying hard not to laugh too loud...but alas...the rangers shone the torch at us and told us "bedtime" folks! It was 9pm! I think from memory we laughed even harder at that....then like good kids went to bed! Fabulous place....love the walks, the beaches, the flora/fauna and meeting of all cultures....MUST go back soon....

17. JameSquire

JameSquire New Member

I can't describe the awesomeness that is the 3 day Tidal River - Lighthouse - Sealers Cove hike! Ever-changing landscape with breathtaking views. 58k's isn't all that easy, but the payoff is phenomenal :D