Windscreen & Flipper Window Installation

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Elsie 76, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Hi Kombi Klubbers,
    I am nearing the end of my restoration and have had two separate windscreen people remove and reinstall my front windscreen and it does no fit properly with the rubber sitting high on the top corner on the driver's side. The end result is a water leak. I also have 3 brand new flipper windows to install and would like a recommendation for a good window guy or girl to reinstall my front screen and my flippers. Any suggestions? TIA.

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What work was done around the screen?
    Any A pillars replaced?
    What brand rubbers. There are some rubbish ones out there

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

As Barry said, something is not right - either frame or rubber. :(

Must be someone capable of doing, or assessing the problem in the Newcastle area......:rolleyes:

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

PM sent Elsie 76. You've all seen the glass problem in my resto thread.
    Nah..it's how they do the 'circle' & which corner is first.....or last:rolleyes:. My guess is he's not using gravity to his advantage;).
    Cheers

5. Thanks for the feedback and questions. (Me an old spray painter from many years ago so I was sure to make sure all was sound easy to go back together). Both pillars are original with the passenger side only having a couple of rust bubbles removed. Very little repair work done and none on the drivers side. The windscreen rubber is brand new, German import from Busstop. The windscreen is brand new laminated.
    To be honest I just think the two guys I had do the windows were cash jobs, one when I did the restoration last year remove and replace and I wasn't there for the installation and the second time a couple of weeks ago was for the hood lining install.
    I want to use someone local that has a good history and thought there could be some recommendations locally that I can chat to.

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So with that info, it REALLY should fit. o_O

David may have a point, in it looks like now it's the way it was fitted.....o_O

When I fitted my T3 screen, I fitted the rubber to the screen prior to installing. Left it overnight to let it relax, and find it's comfort zone, then put alignment marks on each corner, on both rubber and screen.

When fitting, you could then see if it was stretching or shrinking too much during the process, and adjust if necessary.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    David H likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

They need to be "tough" about the way they install. Smacking the glass to 'bed' it to frame. I know your bus has no shape damage. Rubber needs lubricant. See my resto thread. The guy I PM'd about got front glass in & out with stone chip & no leaks. Spray painters not the same as glass installers:p. I'll call them tomorrow!
    Cheers:cool: