Windscreen washer electrification 74 Bay

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Burnstar, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

I've been thinking of doing this for a while but wasn't too game as the only thing I could find was the Samba thread on adding a micro switch. The 74 washer uses a similar system in the wiper stalk but space is really tight and mounting a micro switch is not possible.

I ended up just removing the switch and fashioning a bracket to mount the micro switch, the trick was to pull the end knob off the micro switch which revealed a hollow tube which I shortened slightly for extra clearance space. I then found a old fashioned nail that was in similar diameter to the plastic shaft on the old actuator and cut it down to size to fit in between the stalk and micro switch.

I then soldered the whole thing, added some electrical tape around the end of the micro switch to avoid any short circuits from the assembly body and then ran some wires and to where the other micro switch under the dash was and bypassed that (I already had an electric pump washer bottle), so now I can activate the washer by pulling up on the wiper stalk!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Great work
    I would have just put a switch on the dash somewhere - but people call me lazy

3. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

That's where the switch was before, I got sick of fishing for it. (I was also restoring the horn back to the steering wheel, it's button was next to the windscreen washer button)

4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That’s one way to do it.:)

5. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

6 wire washer switch.. without chopping holes anywhere.. the rest is easy after that.. and install a pair of holden non return valves just before the noozzles.