1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windscreen washer electrification

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by BrissyGeorge, Jul 27, 2016.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

After thinking about it for a long time - and having no windscreen washers because of the "unique/quaint" air pressure system, I converted the wipers over to electric - I replaced the valve in the wiper stalk with a small micro switch and added a small pump.

Not an original idea as I read it in a post on here some time ago and not too difficult - a micro switch from Jaycar($6) and a pump from JK ($13) and a bit of fiddling.

I installed it yesterday and fired it up - everything worked perfectly BUT the jets are blocked and a needle won`t clear them SO............. are there any tricks to getting them off - other than growing an extra elbow and wrist on my right arm:(

2. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

hi brissy george

i had the a same issue with blocked washer jets.

i was just using a needle

3. BrissyGeorge

Thanks Jim,

I already tried the needle - as I said - so I was asking for an idea how to get the jets off.o_O

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

They are meant to turn 90 deg and come out but usualy the clips ate damaged and catch.
    Usualy stuffed by the time you get them out.
    Most already damaged so easier to buy new ones and sacrifice the old.
    If needle didnt work then likely no use anyway.

Pinching the clips inward from behind is the best chance of getting them out in a condition suitable for reuse.
    A pair of pliers or multis may get the clips to close better than fingers.

5. BrissyGeorge

Thanks cbus -I`ll give it a crack at the weekend

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Needle you really on get the point in to try and unblock so you need to try a piece/strand of electrical wire ....... failing that as Col said, to remove & splurge on new jets ;)

Reminds me to look @ the Type 3 one as I can hear the pump working but nothing comes out the jet(s) being a single mount twin nozzle.