Windscreen washer losing pressure.

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Winged, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Winged

Winged Member

Hi, after pressurising my windscreen washers to 40 psi I was impressed to see I had a nice set of roof washers. Then 2 or 3 days later just a mere blub blub. Im thinking it must be a tiny leak to still have some pressure left to blub a little. The cap looks alright but who knows. Was wondering where are the common spots for this system to fail?
    Where I'm at with things are it is 1 of 2 things left for a roadworthy. I would prefer not to put in an electric one as I think it's a cute feature, i like original things and all in all not that fussed if i have to squeegy it when needed.
    Thanks for any help.

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

It should only be either the bottle/bag washer under the cap,or the hose from the bottle/bag to the wiper switch….there's nothing pressurised after the switch.
    Any hardware store will stock the clear hose you need - just take a sample with you…(could be that the old one is cracked at the switch junction..)
    Dip the end of the new hose in a cup of hot water to soften the plastic up…it helps when you push it on…
    Ah, just thought of another potential fail….the valve stem within the washer bottle/bag may not be as tight as it should be…you'll need a valve tool to tighten it up…cheap & available from most reasonable petrol stations or spare parts outlets….
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I see you did state "reasonable", which is a fair call.

Sad observation of mine, is most petrol stations just sell petrol, ice, an amazing selection of coke, and ice creams.

No longer can you source the basic automotive repair products.......o_O

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What's with the clear hose?

Isn't the pressure hose black rubber?

5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Might be the valve is just leaking

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The original hose is rubber but the plastic hose will hold the pressure and is easier to get.

I personally went to super cheap, bought a pump and fitted it under the tank and the wired a switch on to the dash. Gravity feed to the pump with the valve removed or the top loosened and works a treat. If the valve has had it, this may be your best option.

Adrian

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

He has to get a roadworthy.

8. Mordred

And? That is well within the specs for a roadworthy. A push button switch on the dash where it can be operated by the driver operating an electric pump to spray the water on to the front window, and label with a suitable description if you want to get picky. You just need to make sure the air can get back into the original tank to replace the water drawn via the pump. It keeps the original tank and sprayers, but instead of a pressurised system you are using a pump.

Adrian

9. Winged

Winged Member

I took off the kickboard and repressurized the bottle. then with some bubbles saw it leaking from the top hose where it attaches. Trimmed off the old section ( well it just broke) and reconnected it. Rechecked and seems ok for now. The hose is quite perished but will hopefully win me a golden ticket. Failing that Ill charge it up round the corner before I drop it in.
    Thanks all.

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not in NSW

11. Mordred

That's good to hear. A nice easy fix, but I still think where there is no fix there should be an easier way to get a suitably operating system.

OK, so what do all of the vintage car and hot rodders etc require. The valve in the wiper stalk is not available anymore and finding a 40 year old valve with a good non leaking seal is very hit and miss. I would like to see the requirements set down under the vehicle inspection rules that specify that this is not acceptable for a vintage vehicle (30 years and over) that original parts are not available for. Also I would be amazed if I lined all of the NSW registered kombis up and if half had fully original setups. Roy sells the original design water tank with the washer motor fitted in it.

Also there is a thread on here where someone has modded the original valve to operate a set of contacts instead, which give the same function as the old one with an electric motor. I think if you have a problem go to another inspection station.

Adrian

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  12. Winged

Winged Member

Push button switch / electric is would almost certainly be within Tassie roady specs but Im very keen after about 5 months to just be on the road and sweat the rest later. The mechanic is happy to give me one with working squirters and new flexible brake hoses. Ignoring the multiple issues I would be battling with for ages if I still was a Victorian. He was impressed with all the work that had been done on it but I never let on it was little old me that did it. Hooray for Tassie roadworthys keeping safe, solid but older cars on the road.
    Is the air filler tube with valve part available on its own?

13. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

The black rubber tube is available from both jk and heritage, or it was a few months ago when I changed mine, also did the jets, they too were easily available

14. Mordred

We are very lucky around here to not have the largely ridiculous demands for rego put on us. I am all for structural rust and fully operational safety items such as seat belts, but getting knocked back on an inspection because you have installed an electric water pump instead of a pneumatic system which works at least as well is stupid. As is a kombi going for rego with 8 seats and the original seat belt mountings, new seat belts and original factory seats being knocked back because the compliance plate is for a 2 seater (even though the original body was fitted with the mounting points). Then going back after a few hundred dollars with a piece of paper and no other work done, saying the standard mounting and seats are ok which is the norm in some of the states of the mainland.

That said there will always be examples of stupidity with inspectors, one of which failed a rally car for not having original seat belts fitted to the front seats (it didnt have a back seat although it is a wonder he didn't fail it for that as well), although it had 2 x 5 point harnesses connected to the fully race specced steel roll cage.

Adrian

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That is not the problem. ADRs specified that controls (wipers.washers,horn,headlight dipping etc) must be accessed without taking your hands off the steering wheel.

16. Mordred

So why didn't you specify that in your "not in NSW" post? You are a wealth of knowledge Phill, so why not share some of it to find a solution.

In reference to the ADR's then a floor switch or a push button momentary switch mounted securely on the stalk would satisfy the requirements. This is with the provisio of the ADR's when the car was manufactured specifying those requirements (which I suspect there were if you could be bothered going back to check. I reckon that type of requirement may have been in from even before the 70's). Lots of legal loop holes have been exploited by that one over the years.

Adrian

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

18. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Just before I sold my army kombi I had started at looking at fitting a micro switch in the stearing column switch assembly there is plenty of room and would only take a bit of shaping some plastic to make it all come together. Which would satisfy the Adr's

But I have to say though I had no issues with rego inspection in nsw with the push button on the dash - while technically should have failed ....

19. Mordred

As I said. I think it really depends on who you get at the inspection.

Adrian