1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter is coming! Do you use your heater?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Blue76Bay, May 2, 2007.

1. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

the heater in our camper has never worked, but the gas stove was great for heating up the van (only used when parked!) Now taken out for space.

2. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

We use the heater all the time in the bus. I reckon we could make toast on it on the way to school if we got up late!!
    The Beetle heater could probably do a roast!

Ray & da Boyz

3. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

A pulse-jet?? :D

4. tstrawb

tstrawb New Member

Only sometimes in winter after going for a surf in the morning. If i lived down where some of you wonderful people live i'd have to wear my wetty home( and yes i do pee in my wetsuit lol !!) :) :)

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes, the same idea.

6. Archeress

Archeress Guest

We dont have a heater so will prolly get a hair dryer with cigarette lighter attachment and prop it on the dash to heat us up.....wont leave it on too long though.............That way we can pick it up and warm places that go cold.

7. kombi74

kombi74 Member

burn baby burn....kombi inferno....

MMMmmm....a few weeks ago I had a ceramic heater going from the 12 outlet...... it warmed up the cabin .....and then all the wiring and the plug melted:eek: ..........use with caution if not at all.

Ian

8. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Thanks kombi.....i will keep it in mind......Thank the kombi angels that i only have 9 extinguishers located in various places around the bus.........lol.

9. Mr J

Mr J New Member

I remember when I picked up my 2nd kombi the heater levers, cables etc were broken and the PO had rigged it to be on all the time. It was OK for him doing only small trips, but gee it got hot at times on the interstate run home.
    It was during winter which made it bearable.

I was pulled over at one stage by the Police (Kombi had no number plates being driven with a permit) I was sitting there with thongs, board shorts and no shirt - the outside temp was only about 10C and in the kombi it would have to been 30+C. The copper just checked my paper work at shook his head. I didn't try to explain.I sure he thought I was high

Maybe I was high on heater fumes or suffering heat stroke.

But gee those heaters can pack out some heat when working well.

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Oil und Gasoline! Perfume for drivink mit!

11. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

no fun without fumes...

Mmm, maybe I should get the mechanic to reconnect our heater...

12. Blue76Bay

Blue76Bay New Member

Heater Redesign!

Just reading another thread about fume smells in Kombis. I thought there maybe solution to the fume smell that Kombi owners are experiencing from their heaters. It involves a redesign of the original system used for heating. I think there are two basic design flaws in the original heating system. They are:

1. The heater exchange boxes aren't sealed therefore oil from leaky pushrod tubes etc can enter and lay in the bottom of the heater exchange boxes. This then heats up giving off an oil fume smell.

2. Air that is used for heating from the air cooling system is contaminated either by oil, petrol or exhaust fumes before it enters the heater exchange boxes.

My solution is to weld or seal the heater exchange boxes around any section where oil can get in. I don't know if this is possible or not. Block and seal off the entry where the air from the air cooling system enters the heater exchange boxes. Cut a hole in the top of the heater exchange boxes say 60mm diameter and weld in a small section of 60mm pipe. Attach a section of 60mm flexible heat resistant tubing and run it back towards the front of the bus say until the middle. At the middle of the bus mount the heater blower fan taken from above the engine. If air flow is poor a stronger blower fan could be used. This has the advantage of relative fresh air being heated and if the heater boxes are sealed no oil contamination should be present either. Do you think this could work?

13. Blue76Bay

Blue76Bay New Member

Just had another thought! There would be no need cut a hole and weld on a 60mm pipe to the heater boxes. Just seal the boxes from oil ingress and block off air from the air cooling system entering the heater boxes. Leave the Heater blower connected the way it is but connect a hose from the front of the heater blower and run the hose up the side of one of the fresh air vents in the engine bay. This would make sure only fresh air enters the heater system.

14. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

My solution:

My solution to the heater problem is simple.
    I go north for winter.
    Ha Ha!

I was advised by my doctors to avoid cold climates as much as possible. Thanks to global warming and the drought I have been able to spend more time in Melbourne than before. But as the temp plumets my old bones ache so I could really use a heater right about now. Under my carseat cover I have a heated seat vibrator. Great for long drives. My bum and back stays warm if nothing else Ha! However true to my plan in about 4 weeks I will head north in search of sunshine, warmth and pain relief.

15. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

I now have mucho heating again thanks to ModelJets sending me a required knob in the post, which arrived this morning. :cool:

Still can't operate the heater controls without giving em a bit of help from outside the car, but at least I have that option now. :)

Mmmmm toasty!

16. Alpal

Had mein heater blastink today. Slightly shmelly but just cracking the vent und didint feinting.

17. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

I only seem to get bad fumes when I start the Kombi. For the first five i leave my beanie on, after that it is a great heater. (or the fumes are kickin' in!)

18. Alpal

Thought of this also. Anyone tried it??

19. Spinner

Spinner New Member

HEATERS??!! KOMBIES HAVE HEATERS???? Why didnt someone tell me? I thought the slidy knob things were for warp drive or something. I figured that my trilithium batteries were on the fritz.... damn,... heaters!!!

20. perksyaus

perksyaus Member

I have yet to turn on my heater for real - before I do I will have to get rid of the terrible noise that the fan makes - just got to make the time. I assume the heater works ok - my dad used to live in Canberra - can't see him driving a car there without a heater!!!

Denise