1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiper Motor Issues

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by nikferatu, May 26, 2018.

1. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Hi guys, it's been a few years since my last confession...

My kids like to play in my 77 deluxe micro. Despite warnings my son occasionally turns the wipers on (why do these work without the key?) and after the most recent time the wipers don't work.

I've managed to remove the wiper motor and arm unit. The steel drive axle that comes from the gearbox - which rotates constantly in the one direction when the wipers are on - moves freely out of the gearbox which I'm guessing isn't quite right, ie you can pull it all the way out. The steel shaft has a cross-hatched area at the inside end, it appears to engage something inside the gearbox - it was dark and I was wearing my crappest glasses but the corresponding item inside the gearbox appears whitish so I'm guessing nylon parts in there.

Are these components replaceable? The unit seems to be otherwise ok, ie. when the arm selector is moved you can hear the unit power up and step up through the speeds. I'm guessing the motor is ok but maybe a nylon component is stripped so: no go at the wiper blades.

I haven't taken the unit apart yet. I have a spare unit but it must be an earlier model (70, 72, or 73, I forget which but it's one of those) as it has a larger motor can and it looks like it would mount the other way up, if that makes sense, so I can't just slap that one in.

Can the gearbox be pulled apart and repaired? Can I steal anything out of the other spare unit to make it work?

2. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

3. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

So I took it apart and this is what's clearly stuffed. Can this bit be replaced?

4. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

I think the only way is to replace the motor with a new one.

The only new motors you can buy are the brazilian ones and you can get them from places like Mick motors

there is a thread here http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/brazilian-wiper-motor-swap.39013/ on how to fit one (the site was down when I posted this) as the motor faces the other way.

I nearly fitted one to mine and I even bought the new motor but found my motor worked and someone had just plugged some wiring in wrong grrr

A google Cache as they are trying to fix their forums.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iKy_VJevL1AJ:thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/brazilian-wiper-motor-swap.39013/ &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  5. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Thanks man will have a look. I'm also going to pull this other one apart and see if it has a similar part which isn't munted like this one.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Yo Nick, wipers working without the key I expect is a wiring issue :rolleyes:

7. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Yeah the push-button starter will also engage without the key in the ignition. Someone wasn't paying attention lol

8. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

Probably just the fuse wires in the wrong place...

9. KahunaKombi

Bugger :eek:

10. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I think I might just grind a roll-pin sized slot in the end of the drive axle and a matching recess in the buggered plastic cog and slap it all back together.

Barry likes this.
  11. KahunaKombi

Do what the split owners do - apply Rainex to the windscreen thus avoiding the use of wipers ;):p:eek:

nikferatu likes this.