1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work Starts on Margo!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Mark77, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Mark77

Mark77 Member

So small progress today but seems like a big deal to me, one side D Pillar done, most importantly my first attempt at welding some thing that actually matters, and I think its okay! IMG_2121.jpg IMG_2122.jpg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

WOWSERS. ....... that is brilliant. Looks solid!

Hope you had a beer after

3. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Several actually!

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Great job Mark77. Bet those welds looked even better after a beer;). It's one of the joys of life to sit back at the end of the day & observe what we have achieved:rolleyes:. You achieved today & good on you:D.
    Cheers

5. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Thanks to Christmas and annual holidays there has been no time for the Kombi for some weeks, until now! Finally this weekend I got back to the old girl.

So now the second D pillar is done, (I feel like an expert in these now) and also the battery tray has been replaced. I have to say getting the old battery tray out was no fun! Thank God the other side is in good condition. With that out of the way she is structurally solid (at least around the engine bay. When I next get back to her, a little rust prevention painting and then beginning to close her back up. 47735D27-2BE2-493F-85A5-F798DFC7F1F2.jpeg

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Well done

7. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Back for an update, things are clearly moving slower than I hoped (mostly either because I struggle for time to work on her of when I have had time its often just been to hot!) But I have managed to give her a bit of time lately and happy to say some progress has been made. Having started on the back around the engine bay, thinking this was a fairly simple repair and a good place to start, finding out this was in fact a very complicated place to start, I can finally tick this box and move on! All the structural repairs around the engine bay, the D Posts and the Battery tray are done and the outer skin is now back together and in primer. A few photo's: IMG_2151.jpg IMG_2152.jpg IMG_2153.jpg

Wayne murray likes this.
  8. Mark77

Mark77 Member

I am feeling pretty good about whats been done so far, just trying not to think about how much there is still to do! A question for anyone that cares to answer it, I have to decide what to do with the old pawer inlet whole, weld it up or find a new inlet that fits (the old one is well past it!) The tricky bit is finding one that fits the curve of the panel where the original was mounted. Anyone know where i might find one? I have attached a picture of the mounting whole for reference. IMG_2154.jpg

9. David H

Clipsal IP34. Most caravan/RV shops, evilbay etc
    Cheers

10. Daz77

Daz77 New Member

I’d leave it in and go with one available from any good electrical wholesaler.
    http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOnline/Files/Brochures/A0000125.pdf
    Pretty sure you’d be after a 435VFS15.
    There are so many advantages of having 240V in the van such as running appliances, charging main and auxiliary batteries via a charger (only when plugged into 240V mains like a van park or your house).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2019
  11. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Thanks David, is this made to mount straight on a curved surface or do I need some form of shaped backing gasket?

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Maybe drill a couple of holes in the rear panels so it looks like it is original?

13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yeah make sure they supply the foam gasket - should do

14. Mark77

Mark77 Member

I did think about it Barry, I can’t help but think that those two holes are what let in the water that rusted out the D posts in the first place though! For the life of me I can’t work out what they are for?

15. David H

Foam gasket came with it:). P1110476.JPG
    Does seem to depend where the outlet was 'layed' re the curveo_O.
    And the rest of rust is just about electrolytic damage & the steel your bus is made of. And how often 240v was applied to this bus & how it effects the electrolytic damage. Seems to me it camped in caravan parks a fair bit;) with 240 connected. Mines had minimal 240 connection:p. Gas /LPG doesn't change the metal & it's behaviour! Electrons do;)!
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  16. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Thanks David, I was not suggesting a connection between the 240 volts and the rust! I was referring to the two holes in the panels either side of the engine bay at the bottom and Barrys suggestion to redrill them.

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I always thought those 2 holes were for allowing you to put in anti-corrosion and I thought they had 2 flat plastic round plugs. Might need to see a photo of a brand new one?

TeeBee likes this.
  18. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

I found these plugs on-line. It says they are for blocking off the hole for "wiring to the tow bar". They might be the plugs you are referring to, Melissa?
    Wiring hole cap.jpg

melissa, Wayne murray and tintop like this.
  19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

These little buggers:(, what the holes for not 100% sure but rust preventative treatment is one like what Melissa has mentioned:rolleyes:. I think it rusts as water and dirt can get in but the dirt can't get out causing moisture to stay behind causing it to rusto_O over the years. The only down side to having no holes, to me is if you plan on reselling it as people know rust work has been done.Luck for you,you have photo evidence of how the repair was done correctly :)and not bog job:eek:.

540.jpg

TeeBee and melissa like this.
  20. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Good point Wayne, if it is meant to be for tow bar wiring I have no idea how you would get the wiring trough given it leads directly into the centre of the DPost. Interestingly the rust repair panels I purchased did not have them, yet the replacement post sections inside did. I think I will leave it and as you said keep the photos to prove it was a proper repair.

TeeBee, David H and Barry like this.