Your recommendations for a campsite in the Flinders Ranges?

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by DanSA, May 12, 2015.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Hi All.

We are planning to take the kids up north again in the in the next few months for a week or so's camping.

Last time we were up that way we went to Mambray Creek, Mt Remarkable. It was a great location, good sites and good bushwalking.

Has anyone got any other recomendations for good spots in the Flinders?

We do not need a powered site (solar and aux batteries) and aren't too fussed on a shower either.

What we are after, is something with good walks, great views and away from it all.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Dan

2. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

If you are fully self contained you may think of Arkarba Station just south of Wilpena Pound. It was a paid site through honesty box last time I was there. We camped at 31°39.801'S, 138°32.670'E. I found crystals on this property on a hill south east of where I camped. I haven't a GPS reference for the spot.

[​IMG]

Another site north of Wilpena at Aroona Homestead 31°16.625'S, 138°34.847'E. Again this is a pay site.

[​IMG]

Another at 32°11.085'S, 138°00.453'E is Warren Gorge. I don't think it was a pay site.

[​IMG]

Hope this wets your appetite.

Ian

3. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks a lot Ian, very helpful! :)

Dan

4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Well - we made it!

1,000km door to door - Kombi didn't miss a beat. Full report to follow :) .......

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Awesome - cant wait to see it.....

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Cheers...thanks for the steering .....;)

8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Sorry, my bad...

To summarise , we headed from the Hills, where we live, inland thru Clare, Orroroo, Hawker and then into the Flinders Ranges National Park. (495km)

We went past Wilpena pound, and turned off onto Bunyeroo Rd (dirt) towards Brachina Gorge.

Road was pretty bad in places, but fortunately dry on the whole. Lots and lots of creek crossings, imagine if there was a big rain you would be there for a while.
    We ended up camping at Acraman campsite, we took up all 4 sites (2 other families with us in convoy) which was great as the kids had their own place to explore and feel safe. Facilities was just a long drop dunny , but was kept clean and stocked.

Plenty of walks nearby in Brachina Gorge, and rock art, caves, and amazing landscapes. Plus absolutely no phone range! Yay!

Highly recommended. :)