1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘77 T2 WITH POTENTIAL

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by GeorgiT2, Dec 24, 2018.

1. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

There’s a ‘77 T2 on gumtree for sale asking $9500 Ad ID 1196708937 in Victoria. I’m going to go inspect it after Christmas. I intend to repaint and overhaul engine and interior on our project van. With this in mind, any thoughts on this particular example?

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

considering you intend to paint, overhaul engine and interior this looks like it could be good for you.

opening quarter windows are a plus (as are the sliding windows). i don't like the rear wheel arches or sliding door but not a show stopper. i see the tools are out (photo 7) so it's probably not a case of 'oh doesn't start' - might need a bit of work - good to hear it turns over - can get an idea of (even) compression by turning it over slowly with a spanner...if you have the opportunity to 'feel' a good one beforehand, do so...check for spark and fuel. i'd have a very good look for rust - that can cost a bit to fix...i think it's blistering a bit on the door (I always park facing downhill so the water drains out)

good luck (i wouldn't be able to wait to inspect if i were you - but then again i've bought a couple sight unseen)

Patrick

Amandaandmichelle likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I guess it depends how quickly you want one but that doesn’t seem a bargain to me.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  4. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Looks like a factory deluxe, in '77 there were some fully imported and had no metal behind the front seats as was standard in'79. Few bits missing for a deluxe though like the clock in the dash and chrome trim on the interior cards. Sliding windows were not original in '77, so it's either a later model or some one has swapped the windows over.

As others have said, need to have a good look for rust, that will be a major part of the cost to restore.

Best of luck :)

5. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Thanks that’s really helpful. You guys rock. I’m going to have a look tomorrow, if it’s available.

6. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

I hope to inspect in a few days time. I’ll take a spanner to turn the motor through, see what the compression’s like. I intend to overhaul it anyway. What size spanner, and it’s just straight on the end of the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt?
    I’m hoping it’ll be a 2 litre twin carb in there.

7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

i usually put a shifter on the alternator pulley nut

8. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Ok.

9. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

have you had the opportunity to get a feel for others? it will turn easily - it's just how easily (and consistently)

while you are at it you could pop the distributor cap off, turn the ignition on and check for a (tiny) spark at the points at about 7.5 before top dead centre.

also, pop the air filter of and listen for a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump nozzle as you pull the accelerator cable

compression, timed spark and air fuel ratio =:)

Poptop likes this.
  10. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Ok.
    No I haven’t had an opportunity to turn one over.

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Looking @ photos have to agree ;) ...... repairs to bodywork and subframe (expected) will take $$$ and time :rolleyes:..... damage to sliding door could mean another slider has to be sourced o_O ..... it's what's not shown - out of sight out of mind :cool:

12. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Thankyou for your good advice. I can afford for the van to be off the road for a couple of years while I plug away at it, but I need a structurally sound base vehicle to start from. This one may not be it. I’ll take a look anyway. Someone mentioned the word ‘Patience’.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  13. KahunaKombi

Looking doesn't cost anything except your time ;) ..... oh and the petrol to get there :p

14. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Right well, I’m off in the morning to look at this Kombi, a ‘77 Microbus . I’m hoping the chassis number will start with 227 and be found in the engine bay which is also where I’ll find a type 4 engine with the engine number stamped on the casing between oil breather tower and fan shroud. The number I hope to see starts with CJ, signifying a 2 litre motor. This I can confirm by climbing under the rear axle and feeling for 6 ribs on the gearbox casing. Once satisfied all this matches the paperwork, I’ll be checking the body for rust, both obvious and concealed with bog, using a small magnet and judicious tapping. Areas of concern will be the doglegs forward of the front wheel arches, and main beams and structure running the length of the chassis underneath.
    I’ll inspect the sliding door to see if damage to the lower front corner is structural or just the door. Hopefully the track slider is not damaged. Front door lower section rust will also be checked. I’ll check engine compression with a shifter on the alternator nut, and spark under the distributor cap, if there’s battery power.

tintop and David H like this.
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan!:)

Don’t forget a little looksie around and under all the window rubbers.... ;)

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It can be difficult to determine 5 or 6 ribs on gearbox.
    The easy check is the top corners are round in a 6 rib and facetted at 45degrees on a 5 rib.
    Also check numbers on the side.
    091 or 002 within a series.

Check along inside sills all round from underneath.
    Rust holes there suggests its significant overall.
    While there have a look at floor. Especially under front cabin and battery tray.
    Check CV boots.
    Amount of oil spread from engine leaks and position.

Underneath edges of all doors plus inside folds for rust.
    Bubbles along exterior of all panels and doors.
    Same all window rubbers.

Feel of clutch
    Brakes
    Steering.
    Overall appearance.
    Condition of engine bay. ie any care and servicing or lots of dodgy fixes.
    Fuel line condition.

Check under carpets,mats.

Read alignment issues on tyres.

That's first impression.

Happy to check detailed photos.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  17. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Thankyou. Terrific.

18. KahunaKombi

One thing forgotten - check there is an Australian Compliance Plate ....... could be behind drivers seat or attached to the fresh air tunnel on the drivers side - location can vary and the VIN/Chassis No should be the same as that in the engine bay stamped into the metal on the LHS ;)

Barry likes this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

^^^^^ ......wise words

20. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

PERSPECTIVE?

Well I’ve been to inspect the ‘77 with potential. A few things come to mind.
    It’s my first Kombi inspection.
    The chassis number begins with 227 which means a ‘77 model year Microbus. Good.
    Both engine numbers match and begin with 002. The number of ribs and whether they were faceted at the top was unclear. I suspect facet at 45degrees, which along with 002, suggests an 1800 motor. Not resolved.
    There is a blue QLD issued compliance plate in the engine bay, specifying 2 people only. Yet the rego paperwork allegedly stipulates seats for 7. Any body have insight on this? Can I carry only two, or seven?
    Generally the amount and depth of body rust seemed reasonable, except driver’s door completely chewed out at the bottom. Minimal filler evident, or had broken down with time and exposure.
    The mechanicals were generally in very poor condition, there seems to have been no on going maintenance on the vehicle for many years.
    All rubber seals, steering ball joint seals, window seals etc perished and cracked. Extensive oil leaks under entire engine, transmission and up front under steering mechanism.
    Sliding door structurally sound but mechanism completely worn out.
    Interior not so bad, floor panels stuck down so no inspection underneath possible. Seats ripped but intact.
    Roof lining intact.
    Clutch, gear shift, brake pedal and steering actions poor and very loose.
    Overall I’m disappointed with the car, yet in the context of intending a complete rebuild of body and engine, maybe the wear and tear doesn’t matter provided the rust is not terminal. In that case , it’s still a goer, but not at $9500. It seems too high a starting point for the amount of expenditure required.
    What do you think?
    Also, if it’s inappropriate to publish a report like this if it prejudices the seller with other potential buyers, you’d better take my post down.