1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14 Inch All Terrain Tyres/Sizes

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Apr 30, 2017.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The point of fibreglass box is to ensure any leakage cannot build up inside vehicle leading to asphyxiation or explosion.
    No ignition source= no bang.
    Containing an explosion would be akin to squezing ones cheeks against a dose of Bali belly.
    Destined with failure.
    Kevlar bags probably best option.
    Removing likelihood of reaching combustible air/ fuel ratio via ventilated box and preventing ignition source is quite workable.
    The weak link being operator error of internal appliances.

Syncro27 likes this.
  2. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

No idea mate. I don't live in Nsw.
    Victoria is a nice place to go car shopping if you live in S.A. Better maintained cars and cheaper in theory due to abundance.
    Why do you want to come to Adelaide? Lol Not much going on here to be honest compared to bigger cities. But if you want to lounge about it's alright (or you like churches).
    If you do come to S.A. Take your van for a run south down to Robe and Beachport as well as north through the Barossa Valley. ;)
    Guess you can step up your lifestyle and become Crows supporter lol! (Go the Crows:p)
    (Or Adelaide 36ers mate!)
    Maybe you can find time to work on your raps bit more while your here.;)

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Just wait till you go in a car park and the metal height restriction bar as you enter, scrapes the roof of your van. Then you know your lift is good:rolleyes:

I got the absolute solution to your problem.
    Here's some tools you can buy especially for the job on your Vw T3 that will help assist you with this problem mate haha! ;)

http://www.trafficsafety.com.au/sho...ng-control/height-bars/height-clearance-bars/

That said, it got me wondering what the actual height was. Took this for an example.

Adelaide airport sez....

http://www.adelaideairport.com.au/parking-transport/parking-your-car/terminal-car-parking/

Oversized vehicles
    Height and length restrictions apply. Maximum vehicle height is 2.2m and maximum length should be no longer than a 12-seater mini-bus. There are limited alternative parking options at the airport for oversized vehicles.

http://www.adelaideairport.com.au/parking-transport/parking-your-car/terminal-car-parking/

More Wiki stats and facts....

Volkswagen Type 2 (T3)

Wheelbase2,461 mm (96.9 in) 2,456 mm (96.7 in) (GL syncro Camper)
    Length4,569 mm (179.9 in)
    Width1,844 mm (72.6 in)
    Height1,928 mm (75.9 in) 1,735 mm (68.3 in) (Carat) 2,055 mm (80.9 in) (Camper) 2,085 mm (82.1 in) (GL syncro)

GL Syncro height with roof racks measurement?

We are all going about this whole ride height idea wrong.
    We should be making T3 stretch limousines!:cool:

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/3518505929098960/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Syncro27 likes this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

When you need long distance recovery of a kombi by racq or whoever tell them its under 2m or they won't take it.
    Then ensure it is by whatever means necessary just in case.

Another listing of 14" and 15" in favourable OD.
    Can't confirm they actualy import any listed sizes
    Mud tyre . no idea how good but possibly an economical option for some local playing in the dirt.

If doing long isolated trips I would prob pay for best possible.

http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/ft-9/

beastieboy likes this.
  5. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Agreed - for local playing in the dirt.
    Don't think we will be crossing rivers or climbing mountains.
    General camping. Few winery gravel roads and light mud type tracks and maybe the beach is another to factor in.
    Anything else just buy something like this...
    [​IMG]

6. hdj80

hdj80 Member

I fitted a set of 15" Mefro with 215x75x15 BFG's A/T's IMHO they are prefect diameter, I really haven't noticed a loss of power and have actually made my speedo read correctly instead of the 10kph optomist reading I had.
    Definitely not a cheap option at around $3k for 5 of wheels, mounting kit and tyres but makes the Syncro look and feel the way it should... Side note I fitted a set of Old Man Emu Shocks alround but springs stayed and height was increased just by the increase in Tyre Dia...

beastieboy, syncro and cbus like this.
  7. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

What is the part number of the Old man Emu Shocks?
    Had a set of them pass by me the other day. I'll check them out...

8. hdj80

hdj80 Member

Sorry mate I don't know what they were.. I did have the numbers but can't find them.... I got them through ARB in canberra and they were stocked in Melbourne.

9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Try N37 and N38S

hdj80 likes this.
  10. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

11. HOMEWORK

HOMEWORK New Member

12. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

It says 14” in the title but the tyre listed is a 15”....so no lol if they were 14” then they would’ve fitted I reckon. Now to find an Aussie retailer...I’m gonna be starting the same hunt in a few months.

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You will see a number of manufacturers list 14" all terrains but not imported to au.
    Some even listed on Aussie spec sheets but N/A.

Anyone checked the practicality of importing tyres from overseas?

HOMEWORK.
    Have you checked tyre sizing calculators?
    Also keep in mind suitable tyre load ratings.

14. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Been a while since I checked this thread.
    Working on the van this morning. Caught this tyre thread again for a read.
    Think it's time for some replacements. Rears are 16 years old now. Fronts are 9 years old. That's what happens when you store a vehicle for a bit tho. I'm a little wiser about all this now after working in automotive for a few years since I posted. Worked for a couple of mechanics since and also a wrecker. Never saw a T3 arrive at the wreckers either otherwise I'd have probably bought the lot whole for spares.
    It was fun to work there. It got my forklift driving skills quite top notch, dragging cars out of awkward parks. Did drop a few cars too when I was learning to handle various weight distribution and learning how things balanced. It was good because no one cared and we had fun squashing them into blocks. Learned alot too, as it's always good to rip apart other cars and break things, make mistakes, and learn from it before having a go at your own.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019