1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1800 Engine assembly head gasket question

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Justin Lush, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Justin Lush

Justin Lush Member

Hi all,

Had a small issue with the van and had the accelerator jet fall into the engine and made its way into the combustion chamber.

Anyway question, I have put type 1 engines together before so very new to the type 4 motor.

Do I need to reinstall new head gaskets?

In the past I have always lapped the barrels to the heads with grinding paste, this gasket thing is new to me and I would prefer to remove them as one was leaking anyway, the piston has 4.8mm clearance from the head so it shouldn't be an issue with clearance but I would like to check.

2. Justin Lush

Justin Lush Member

3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Justin.. I re-use them unless I'm putting on AMC heads which have an extra step and tell you not to use them

(here's a thread on the Samba where it is discussed)

Justin Lush likes this.
  4. Justin Lush

Justin Lush Member

Just found a crack in the exhaust port and a piece broken off, so will be buying a set of AMC heads now.

BrianK and Mordred like this.
  5. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

I don't use them but my Kombi runs LPG so it appreciates the extra compression. You can shim under the barrels to make up for the thickness of the head gaskets and lap the barrels into the heads, but that tends to add places for oil leaks. I've heard of people using Maniseal (an exhaust sealing compound) laid sparingly in the head so it compresses and seals the head and barrel with great success, but I've never tried it myself. I have used it to seal up a crack in a head because I was desperate and it seemed to work fine so I can't see why it wouldn't do a good job of sealing the head to barrel joint. If it doesn't burn away when used between a turbo and the exhaust manifold, it won't burn away in the combustion area because that area is protected by the gas shield that stops the head and piston from melting. It is only when that gas shield leaks away that things melt.

T1 Terry

Justin Lush likes this.
  6. Wiz

Wiz Member

Microbus engine is currently getting complete rebuild with a reputable local engine builder.
    I know that he laps the barrels to the (mine will be new) heads - no gaskets, haven't asked if he shims to make up for gasket thickness.
    PR

Justin Lush likes this.
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

If they are AMC heads then gaskets aren't required - and you don't need to shim to make up for it because they have an extra step in them

Justin Lush likes this.
  8. Wiz

Wiz Member

Thanks for the info, not sure if they are AMC. He knows his stuff so I didn't bother to ask...
    Sometimes in life you leave it to the professionals :D
    PR

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Ask him what compression ratio he is setting it at.

What “squish”

Squish is the distance from the top of the cylinder to the top of the piston.

Should be 1 - 1.5mm

10. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

David H likes this.
  11. Justin Lush

Justin Lush Member

Started to clean the gearbox ready for the reinstall.

found this!!

Anyone have an old gearbox case they might want to sell. 85CAC8FA-4857-418F-9873-89602BD9F76F.jpeg D14930C0-3F97-461C-BB33-8FFE01738D0C.jpeg

12. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

you would only need a new bellhousing (correct one) but a bit of welding would probably do

Justin Lush likes this.
  13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You got a 1800 gearbox I take it?Is the bell housing the same as a 1600?

14. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Justin - I know you have a 1.8l engine but considering the year model you might still have a 6 rib gearbox (from a 2 litre). Best to post a pic of the whole gearbox. Also can't be sure which bellhousing you have because they get switched around when people put in different engines - 2 litre bellhousing is 'deeper' for a bulkier clutch (what size clutch do you have?) The starter motor on a 2 litre is also a bit different (part number starts with 091)

Here's a brief description of the gearboxes 002 3 rib , 002 5 rib, 091 6 rib are the ones of interest
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143138
    some more info here
    https://ratwell.com/technical/FAQ/FAQContent.html#faq-trans

maybe a bit of welding is the better solution

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Justin Lush and cbus like this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Second tintops advice.
    Weld prob cheaper and easier.
    Does look like a 6 rib.

Justin Lush likes this.
  16. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Take it to someone who knows how to weld magnesium.

Justin Lush and cbus like this.
  17. Justin Lush

Justin Lush Member

After taking the engine and gearbox out I have discovered that the engine is a 2L, the fan housing was stamped as an 1800 (AP), but the engine case is a 2L (GD). The gearbox is a 2L box (CP).

This is good news, when I first got the bus and saw the front engine number on the fan housing a assumed that it was a 1800.

7BF5C59C-F0EB-4640-A80E-2DD62E2AB451.jpeg 9F7A79CD-26AB-4B58-9B70-5692DDC73CA8.jpeg 54DE1160-D0A6-4F66-9EDC-6562EF683EDF.jpeg

18. Wiz

Wiz Member

I had to drop into the engine rebuilder today re another project, so I asked...
    Yes, they are AMC heads. They will be disassembled, all surfaces checked with surface finish tester, cced, etc etc etc then reassembled.
    The boss wasn't there so I wasn't able to confirm squish or compression ratio.
    New barrels, all reciprocating parts balanced.
    His brief was to build a reliable engine.
    PR

David H, Justin Lush and Barry like this.