1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1800 idling system distribution valve

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Stormin12345, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

EFE9D949-D1B2-41A7-94D1-97BA2B90A8CC.jpeg View attachment 60374 0D589D47-8C8B-43BC-8ED1-621A8685C26D.jpeg Hi all,
    Am in the process of getting ready to put my motor back together once it gets back from the machine shop. In cleaning and assembling parts and getting replacement fuel hoses ready, I started looking at the connecting pipe between the carbs for the idling system - two hoses off one carb and one off the other. The connecting piece (or distribution valve as Haynes call it) I have is in the attached pic, whilst the Haynes picture (attached pic also) suggests it looks very different. Also mine has 4 connections with one blocked off which seems very wrong. I know it worked as the bus was running before I pulled the engine out, but being my first kombi not sure if I have the right or functional thing or I should be trying to source a different part. Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2021
  2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

That small vacuum hose goes to the intake 'heater' on the right hand side

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry Tintop, it doesn't actually go directly to there, it goes to the left hand side nipple on the Thermostatic valve, mounted on the underside of the right feed horn from the air filter to the carb. The right side nipple has the pipe to the intake air heater valve.

Better explanation of the whole system here:

https://forums.kombiclub.com/thread...pe-iv-adjustment-procedure.45512/#post-488549

The pic below is from that thread, and there are a few extra pipes (in red) and a dual vac distributor as it has American smog gear on it but the orange/green pipes are what you are asking about.

[​IMG]

Adrian

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  4. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Thanks Adrian, better explanation of what I meant (on my phone so I kept it short). Patrick

Mordred likes this.
  5. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Brilliant thank you all! Adrian that picture is what’s been missing for me all this time - when I got my Kombi the layers of different bush mechanics over the years had meant it had the minimum to make it run - so there were many hoses that were simply not there or blocked off. I have been trying to reverse engineer everything from Haynes/Bentley - this is exactly what I need thank you. Paul

Barry, Wiz, Mordred and 1 other person like this.
  6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

The distribution valve is early 1700 only. (as in VW411 with oil bath air cleaner).

Stormin12345 likes this.