1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1952 Kombie

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by moowooga, Jan 14, 2014.

1. moowooga

moowooga New Member

Does anyone have any1952 idea of how many 1952 Kombies came to Australia and how many are still about?

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

3. kombiing

kombiing Member

They didn't start selling them until 1954 in australia I know of one 1952 that was imported lhd and was converted to rhd here in australia, if it is a genuine 1952 barndoor with piano hinge quarter vent windows there few and far between

4. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Thats correct info right there, none came to Australia til 54, I believe there were fewer than 300 in total into Aus and NZ

A genuine RHD of that age would indeed be a very very rare beast, the oldest RHD known to exist is a 52 I think.

5. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

The 54

My dad had a 54 microbus with factory canvas sunroof. Sold in 1985. It has since been fully restored and lives in South Australia.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
  6. kombiing

kombiing Member

Wow that is a great photo, thanks for posting it

7. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

There was a piano-vent hinge barny 23 deluxe here in Sa, Sunroof was converted to a pop top(home made, about the size of the sunroof). Was a non rear bumper car, had been painted martini olive. I believe the car has since been scrapped when the owner rolled it. The pics were amazing. I have also owned several NOS early Barndoor vent window stays in the past. They must have been here for the bits to have been ordered.

8. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Thats a great picture and thank you for sharing...wish I could get my hands on that roof rack !! I'm after one if you still have it stashed away ha ha .

Interesting comments above about the non rear bumper bus and owning the NOS parts. I'm very confident that no buses were imported before early to mid 54 though, I believe the 1st shipment down under went to NZ, a total of 5 were shipped down and I'm also led to believe my 54 was one of that 1st shipment...not conformed yet though. I have found the sister bus to mine though, by all accounts on the ship down here, it's only 5 digits away on chassis numbers and is now restored and in the UK where it was shipped to years ago from NZ....still dove blue OG paint as well..

1500King...you have a PM

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

.....& look at the size of that engine bay hatch/door !! never seen anything like that...ever... !!

10. Pastit

Pastit Member

It's as big as a ............................................ barndoor.