1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1961 split screen kombi resto. maby make it a samba?

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by mitch 116, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mitch 116

mitch 116 New Member

hi all ,

I am 15 years old and my dad and i have gone halves and have just bought a 1961 11 window split screen kombi. i love this modle very much but i also love the samba modle, 21 windows
    i have seen on the the bus stop.com skylights in rows of 4. i was woundering a few things
    one,
    did vw make a 1961 21 window samba with twin round Tail light/blinker combo on Aussie '61 kombis.
    two,
    do all these windows make it hot in side the van. i am from south austraila. it is not the hotest place in austraila.
    three,
    it is an 11 window it would need to have two more windows in the back. is that hard?.

this is mine i have not started yet but i am in the planing prosess
    DSC00136.jpg DSC00141.jpg DSC00150.jpg

all help muchly appreciated

regards,
    mitch 116

2. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

G,Day Mitch. samba,s in 1961 were 23 windows,they went to 21 after 1963.....:rolleyes:

and YES all those windows do make it a bit warm,especially sitting at lights.....:cool:

as for modification to a 21 window...that's alot of work......good luck.....:)

3. tombi

tombi Member

Hi Mitch,
    Great to see young fellas getting into kombis. Why not work with what you have and enjoy the standard 11 window bus. You can work toward getting into your dream bus, whilst enjoying this one.
    There is a fellow on the split bus forum who has grafted 2 more windows (and rag top sunroof) into his 11 and he was telling me recently what a massive job it has been. It looks brilliant.
    Good luck with the journey.

4. olovw

olovw Member

hi there
    trust me man, you will regret modifying it, hope its kept standard:)all the best with it
    o

5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't make it something it wasn't meant to be............

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Spend the $ and time where you will get the best gains. Safary front windows maybe?

7. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Heres some of the parts you will need to change it to a samba copy....
    roof window panels off the busstop when they are available....$1425 plus postage.
    http://www.thebusstop.com.au/busstore/products/62/203/samba_roof_window_sections/
    ragtop roof frame .$1900 usa plus postage..
    http://vwsunroofs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1045
    ragtop roof..$220 usa plus postage
    http://vwsunroofs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1175
    Then theres the corner window sections which are super hard to get,maybe gersons make them but havent seen anyone else do them so it would have to be found in a rusted out one or hand made.
    last corner set i saw sold on the samba sold for $450usa each corner,plus postage lasted forsale one day.
    then theres the glass for it all....big $$$$ plus what ever else ive missed!
    So now you can see why not many people change them into a samba copy.
    Youd spend easily more on the roof bits an fitting it then you would just fixing up your car as is.
    Hope this helps...
    chuckster

8. IN2VWS

IN2VWS Member

..........don't forget the belly pans.
    The rear seat can cost you upto $4000 per seat also, and you will need 2 of them.

9. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

And large rear window, don't do it

10. smithy658

smithy658 Member

Dont do it mate not worth all the trouble and $$ just sell it to me and buy a yumos kombi ;D
    http://www.yumosvw.com