1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1965 Split Screen Kombi Under restoration.

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by cruzr944, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rudy

rudy Member

Gday Cruzer, Looking good. Fun times ahead starting to fit up all the new new parts! Well done on the paint, colour looks really nice.

cruzr944 likes this.
  2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Looks great what have you used to remove the glue and built up tar etc in the interior - I have tried endless options but it is a very slow process with no product being a stand out

3. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

Hey Andrew Ive used sandpaper or paint stripper, you could try citrus oil, that has good properties Cheers Glen

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thanks Glenn - will give both a go - I was trying to get the bulk off and then go with sanding. Hopefully the citrus will move the bulk of it.

Much appreciated

Andrew

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Have heard that wd40 gets it off.
    the solvent for contact glue is GP thinners but that will attack enamel and acrylic lac very quickly.
    probably safe for a quick try on original paint and 2pac,

usualy best to try in order of strength. turps,-wax n grease remover,-2pac polyurathane thinners.
    the poly thinners will attack acrylic and air dry enamel but not immediately
    91 oct petrol is largely toluene but bad for health.

physicaly scrape as much as poss first as it spreads like mongrel with solvent

6. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

I have been doing a lot of work on the old car and its starting to get closer to getting some paint, just a few shots of it in primer, wow this is a seriously long project, Ive just gone back and looked how far it has come, many of these VWs would have been scrapped in its condition, oh well lucky not this one
    [​IMG]
    I still have to spot colour it for blocking and I have some imperfections to still sort. I've used epotec etch primer which is good as it isn't any where near as moisture absorbing as standard etch primers . It gives you time to keep repairing and stops surface rust.
    [​IMG]

Grantus likes this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Does it amaze you, as it did me, how finished and ready it looked before primer, but how many little bits you missed, that didn't show up until the primer went down?

Or was that just me, as a first timer......?:rolleyes:

And yes, serious amount of time required....o_O

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

A labour of love :)

9. chuck85

chuck85 Member

Unreal work mate. Looking good

cruzr944 likes this.
  10. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

Yeah its good when all those little bits just pop up, , I like throwing on some undercoat, helps to work on those bits ,

Ando_buderim likes this.
  11. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

I've spray-painted on a extra light coat of paint, a lot of thinner and not much paint, this is what is used to show up all the imperfections,
    As you sand back this coat which is on the high fill primer any scratches or shallows will remain the shadow coat colour. These imperfections can be filled with light coat filler, blocked back again , primed shadow coated ,
    until it all comes back to your high fill colour.
    [​IMG]

A good example is my Dash , you can see the high lighted low spots. Its an easy way of getting your surface smooth. Make sure your using a flat sanding pad and I'm using wet and dry for rubbing back.
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

Just read all 9 pages of your resto and have loved every photo and description. It may be difficult to juggle your time between work/family/Zelly but it's always worth it when it's done and you're cruising with your family. Not to mention splitty values have doubled since you started !

13. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

I am glad that you have enjoyed the story so far VZR, still more to come , I've got lots of goodies in the shed to dress it up with, They are an iconic vehicle , and its going to be great cruising in it. Its definitely been a journey, I thought it would take two years on it and its been three, but with the juggling you mention you get that, It will be registered before four years comes around , I hope. Its getting closer now. I look back at the journey also to page one , when I was overwhelmed and was going to sell it and am Glad I didn't. Thanks for your comment Glen

chuck85 likes this.
  14. Splash Pitman

Splash Pitman New Member

This is like watching you're favourite tv show that was canceled after the cliffhanger .

15. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Loving your work :)

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

And no updates in 2 years :rolleyes:

17. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

received_178691796775307.jpeg

Sorry, after reprogramming ,management ,problems, reschedule tasks, location movements and all and other excuses,it's been approved and the Resto blog has been 're allocated funds and is back on track, lost some viewing audience ,but hope to gain some new,

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    chuck85 and KahunaKombi like this.
  18. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

received_180390343226256.jpeg

So the paint is on and Windows are going back to where they once came from, albeit,with metal under them once again

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    chuck85 and Barry like this.
  19. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

View attachment 51895
    Alluminium mouldings are coming together, they come flat and instilled,they have to

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2020
    Barry likes this.
  20. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

received_226093821757298.jpeg

Aluminium trim mouldings are going on, Kombi coming back together

chuck85 and Barry like this.