1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970 Type 3 Squareback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by OSF, Nov 4, 2018.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Those nanny white walls look great:cool:;):)

2. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

No you don't Nozza! Once you have a Type 3 then you have enough cars .......
    Until someone offers you another one... or 2 .... or 3... or.....
    Well at least I have spares! :rolleyes:;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Took the Squareback for a service the other week and subsequently got the mechanic to replace the old 009 distributer with a Petronics one. I've heard good and bad things about Petronics over time and it's early days yet, but I got to say, it's starting and driving heaps better now. The new dizzy was dropped in a couple of weeks after the service and whilst the service itself lifted performance, there was a further increase with the new dizzy.

The Old
    20190703_114251 L.jpg

20190703_114332 L.jpg

The New
    Petronics.jpg

I didn't tell the mechanic to replace the leads and coil as well (as I stupidly just assumed he would do this), but I can do this myself when I get a sec and it's currently running well, so I might just leave it as it is for now.

Also, my new dizzy doesn't have the vacuum advance so I initially assumed it was the wrong one, but apparently not? A bit of reading tells me you don't need the petronics dizzy with the vacuum advance to replace the original 009 dizzy. I'm no mechanic (obviously) and the new dizzy seems to be working really well (the old vacuum tube is blocked off), so all seems right, but I'm happy for further comment or anyone's thoughts/knowledge/experience in regard to this as it's all good learning for me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    KahunaKombi likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

Some mechanics take the instructions to do something to a "T" :cool: ..... they no doubt have been abused in the past for replacing something they weren't asked to :eek: & customer got bill shock :eek:
    Was going to comment on those lead caps but you beat me to it ;) ..... try to get some better quality ones than the basic VW shop ones :)

5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah. When I told the mechanic to change over to a Petronics set up (which he recommended) and go ahead and order it, I assumed he'd buy it in a kit (I.e. dizzy, leads, coil), but he just ordered the dizzy. He is an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy and he certainly has been burnt before, so I should have realised this and been more specific up front. Bit frustrating though as my default preference is "do it once, do it right". But it is what it is and a set of leads won't take long to swap over.

David H likes this.
  6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

be aware type 3 leads are slightly longer than most type 1 leads sold and should have 90 degree ends at the distributor cap.

7. KahunaKombi

As Kai has mentioned ..... as Paddy's engine was built by Vintage VeeDub Supplies they'd be the place to look ...... seen them @ Mick Motors also -

Paddy Jan18 (3).JPG

8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip guys.
    This on one of those stupidly obvious details that wouldn't actually be obvious to me till after I had purchased the wrong ones.
    Gives me an excuse to try an swing by VVDS tomorrow. It has been a week since I was there and I was starting to get withdrawals anyway.