1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970 Type 3 Squareback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by OSF, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hah ha ha.

Bloody red wine!

OSF, David H and Grantus like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If I was a real bast$&d I would edit and say “what you talking about?”

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You could try that - but you can’t edit my post, where I quoted you. ;) :p

Barry, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

One of my early KC learning experiences:(. Need to lift your game understanding @Barry;).
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Mind you, it doesn’t always work. Mods have the power to edit your quoted posts, especially if you have quoted them............. as I have discovered in the past.:D

Barry likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Some days you've just got to be a Kombi driver & go with the flow:).
    Sorry OSF for the thread hijack.
    Cheers

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

i should go back to AVD where I have “the Power”

8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

All good.
    Soooooo. Bert / Barry / Other

Just for clarity.
    I buy the exhaust which comes with the standard flange bits that would otherwise be clamped to the heat exchangers. I also buy the 35mm flange adapters.

What then does the end of the Heat Exchanger actually get welded to? Looking at Bert's pic (below) it looks like there is another flange there that the flange adapters then bolt to. Do I modify the flange bits that came with the exhaust and weld the end of the Heat Exchanger to them, or is there another flange bit I need?

Also,
    Is there any issues welding the two different metals of the Heat Exchanger and the VS stainless steel exhaust?

Does this weld create a weak spot in terms or corrosion and if so, how should I treat this.

Exhaust-1.JPG

Cheers

9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Pic showing the end of my Heat Exchangers. I'm not sure why there are two different clamps on there.
    P.S. Yes I know my air hose on top is missing. I'm replacing this as well.

1564057189560_Heater Clamp.jpg

10. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Why can't you just weld on the flange bits that come standard with the exhaust? I.e. just weld them where the clamps would normally go?

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

When I got Paddy's from VVDS I stipulated I wanted the flange adaptor plates to weld on (35mm I think is the size needed) and not the clamps - they just swap them out

The kit I got is on the following picture -

Paddy New Exhaust  (3).JPG

So the exhaust, headers x2, flange adaptors x2 - you get the adaptor plates to weld on (TYPE 3, TYPE 34 Flange Adaptors for other brand heater box with flange: Extra two flanges for welding to heater boxes included Please choose 35mm, 38mm, or 42mm ..... https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/205-FLANGE-ADAPTORS-p132825538.) All the other hardware - nuts, bolts, washers, studs & gaskets are included.

There is not much room to weld the adaptor plates on - you assemble the lot and fit it up insitu finger tight on the nuts and tack the plates onto the heater header .... this is cast steel so the welder won't be happy but it can be done ...... once tacked on removed it and finish welding the plates on then put it all back on once weld has cooled. Takes about an hour to do with 2 people.

Why yours has 2 brackets I've no idea - could be to get a better seal but with the VS one not required.

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I am guessing the heater box end has rotted and an extension piece is required.

I am guessing you will need another heater box as trying to fix that up will be an effort

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Because the heater box pipe is a larger pipe than the exhaust pipe (one slips over the other) then the flanges need to be different holes as it needs to be a snug fit.

With the VS the exhaust needs to be stainless flange and the heater box a mild steel.

Can I STRONGLY suggest if you go to this effort then get your heater box ceramic coated.

I will dig up the AVD link where I did all this on my 1303

Westy should be able to sort all this.

Give me a call if you need more help.
    My mate is working in Qld but comes back down.
    They would be able to do it all so as it is just a bolt on

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

OK - now looking on the computer I am going to say the casing is "loose" to the j pipe.
    They quite often wear here and someone has worried that too much air is escaping instead of going forward.

Again, I would be looking for a better example if i was going to flange it and definitely if you are going to ceramic coat

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Wayne murray likes this.
  17. KahunaKombi

Did mine on Igor also - Looked great @ first but dulled except for one section ...... heat direct from headers wasn't its friend :eek:o_O:confused::(and

18. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hmmmm
    As usual, one question leads to many more.
    Didn't get a chance to crawl under Olive on the weekend and have a better look, but I did manage to consult my Bentley. Bentley doesn't say anything about the two clamps, but it does actually show them in a pic. As such I'm now thinking the two clamps are actually original and not associated with a repair. Bentley also shows a retaining ring and seal that goes in there as well, either between the two clamps or under one (?).

I also note my Heat Exchangers have some kind of insulation wrap on them (not shown in my pic) and I'm not sure they aren't actually in ok condition. I probably need to take them off to have a really good look though.

A quick Google and VW Heritage actually sells a set of Type 3 Heat Exchangers with a flange that are also ceramic coated
    https://au.vwheritage.com/ac2551224c-big-bore-flanged-heat-exchanger-right-ceramic-vw-spare

This might make things easy if they are right for Olive, but the only thing... these are for a big bore. I intend to upgrade the engine down the track, but not just now. Does anyone know if these be equally ok for my stock 1600, or no good?

Also ... they are branded EMPI and I'm not normally a fan of EMPI, but I'm also not sure they are all actually made in the same place anyway (Jopex)?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  19. KahunaKombi

20. KahunaKombi

Found this picture of the Over The Top exhaust - the muffler is on the top close to the cool air bellows :confused:

[​IMG]

Wayne murray likes this.