1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1972 Type3 Fastback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by KahunaKombi, Apr 21, 2016.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

After enduring a drivers seat that you cannot incline fully and unable to find any seat adjuster cams, spoke to cbus and he had a passenger seat with cams (right fits both seats right side adn left both seat left side) on it which from the picture looked good and which he gave/got to me through tin bits but alas the the shaft on the left one was almost worn through so as nils was doing 3D printing thought could they be done so after many PM's and photos here is a prototype in plastic ..... fitted nicely and now to move to metal be it CNC, 3D printing or casting????

Original against 3D printed Right side cam -

3D Printed Seat Cam.jpg

Fitted up and compared to left side for position, operation and function -

DSC01008.JPG DSC01010.JPG

DSC01015.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. KahunaKombi

Early start today with a trip to see Pete and Clive @ Custom VeeDub in Stafford -

Right Hand Side

DSC01016.JPG

Left Hand Side

DSC01017.JPG

Syncro27, oldman and Resnort like this.
  3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

The join to the heater boxes looks pretty tight. Was that what you were thinking about welding?

4. KahunaKombi

Wasn't sure Brad but after speaking to Boris @ VVDS he said you won't have to cut the pipe but still have enough room for a nice fit ..... were able to fit the bolts from the front with room to spare. As for welding I thought there may have been a bit more room and Peter wished there was but he did a good job all the same.

68BUS likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

Went out for a kruize yesterday arvo and the new Vintage Speed exhaust is quiet, got home parked in the garage and the Mrs comes out and asks where's the noise? .... that is quiet ..... no exhaust fumes odours either :eek:

Syncro27 and cbus like this.
  6. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

More RPM!

7. KahunaKombi

Should have mentioned in earlier post that I'd highly recommend anyone with a Type1 or Type3 style engine with the clamp "sealing" connection to the exhaust would do themselves a great justice with moving to a flange adaptor set up as I've done and others have vouched for. If you have J pipes then you'll have an easier job.

It's not a big job - to remove the old exhaust and do the dry run to tack adaptor plates in place, remove, weld and refit and test would have been 1.25 hrs - 2 sets of hands helps but not essential if you have a welder and can use it.

8. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Somehow missed this, nice fasty Bert. So glad you have a car to play with again and for us to watch as it all come together. Nice VS exhaust :) Hard to beat that sound.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Once you do this mod you really become a convert.
    It is just SO much better-er.

Somebody needs to get Mr Peabody's Wayback Machine and go back and belt whoever at VW thought it was a good idea to go with clamps.

You also realize what rubbish it is that is sold as "a quality clamp set - no leaks!"

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  10. KahunaKombi

Done a few trips since the new VS exhaust installed so yesterday afternoon checked it all out and nipped up the nuts seeing the flange gaskets expand and contract ...... :D:p

11. KahunaKombi

Have been contemplating changing the instruments/gauges from the Aussie style flat face to European recessed which in my opinion look better ....... the Aussie style was specifically built here by VDO in Australia to comply with local content laws that came into effect in 1972 ALSO instead of MPH the speedo with trip meter will be in KPH ...... a picture of each style -

Aussie Style (from Col's daughters squareback) -

Type3.11.jpg

What I currently have (not a good picture but you can get the idea) -

DSC01081.JPG

European Style -

vw_wagon_type-3_gauges_s_73.jpg

12. KahunaKombi

Got a delivery -

DSC01022.JPG

DSC01026.JPG

Did a fit up to wrecked seat and reported findings back to Nils so he can make sure his other (accounted for 9 sets) are ok for fitment.

DSC01029.JPG

DSC01028.JPG

Next step is remove drivers seat and fit these up :rolleyes:

Resnort likes this.
  13. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

We've got the Euro ones Bert. Reckon they look better. Check with young Denver, he may till have some, I got a spare clock off him before Xmas.
    Those cams look great. Can't wait. Might get our seats refurbed while they are out.

14. KahunaKombi

Terry show us a picture of your dash gauges/instruments - I've found the 3 to swap in (all from different people) but the seat cams taking precedence ;)

15. KahunaKombi

Yesterday was fit up day on the new CNC'd 6061 Al seat cams with the help of my friend John (retired Fitter/Turner/Boiler Maker).

Getting seat out and apart was easy enough to reveal the condition of the original cams -

Right one well and truely knackered >

DSC01031.JPG

DSC01032.JPG

Left one not in great shape either >

DSC01033.JPG

Showed how people didn't know how to adjust seat incline in the first place and 101 rule release pressure on the back rest DON'T try to assist with your weight.

Now wonder if the leaver releasing the backrest will work better and the function will now be smoothly/as like new.

A better picture of the Cams >

CNC 6061 Seat Cams.jpg

Without going into the fine detail, there was some damage on the left side of the seat where the cam is housed so this had to be repaired by a bit of metal beating and filing. The damage and resultant change of profile made just enough difference across the width of the seat to mean the right cam needed a little filing on the radii on the 2nd & 3rd steps/lugs - this took a few fits then remove of the shaft with cams until we were satisfied a smoothly transition through the full range of adjustment was happening :)

To the final fit and they look this -

Right Cam (before MolyGrease)

DSC01035.JPG

Left Cam (before MolyGrease)

DSC01036.JPG

Once the MolyGrease was applied and a few movements through the range we were happy as to how smooth it was and so put back in Paddy - test seating = weird feeling the backrest at the shoulder blades when before it was only at the base of the spine ;)

As for the access to the back seat ...... :rolleyes: ..... no more fighting to get it to move :eek: ....... smooth as the day out of the factory :D

Taken some time to get to this but been worth it to have a NLA part made up and copies being sent to the USA for other Type3 owners as well as to some in Australia.

BIG thanks to Nils for taking this on and delivering :cool:

Dapom, Wayne murray, David H and 3 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Great stuff.

17. KahunaKombi

Next on the to do list is get the European/USA style gauges with KM Trip Speedo and swap them in so they'll have chrome rings like this -
    Found KM Trip Speedo in Spain, Fuel Gauge in Germany and Clock in the Netherlands (just have to get this joker to reply to my emails) otherwise could be a replica Tacho :rolleyes:

1972 Samba Speedo.1.jpg

[​IMG]

OSF, wombatventures and prone like this.
  18. KahunaKombi

Speedo and authentic in box lockable fuel cap with keys on their way from Spain ;)
    Fuel Gauge and bulb holder on their way from Germany :)
    Clock from Netherlands - :( seller at least made contact as he has man flu and been out fo action for 2 weeks :D after I sent another email & PM opening with "this is my last attempt to contact you" @ least it worked with an apology :confused:

19. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Just spotted this Bert, went out to take a photo but the sun's straight in the windscreen. Will do it asap.
    That Tacho is awesome. I'd gladly lose the clock for one.

20. KahunaKombi

Terry, it was a hard call but USD225 for the tacho then 50 postage it was hard to go with - opted for one of those clocks.
    First couple of things have arrived, next item well DHL is slow and 3rd seller had man flu so gave him answer my 5th message or the tacho it is - amazing he made contact ...... if not retired & had an regular income then tacho it would have been ;)