1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1982 T3 Camper - Help Needed

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Joels73 Panel, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Hey everyone, been a while since my last post, good to be back. I've just recently bought my first T3, it's a 1982 2.0 Auto. Very smooth bit of moving, interior is mint and the engine runs great once warm. I'm hoping to do a lot of travelling on the mainland in a about a months time so I want to have it running perfectly. I do have a few problems that I was hoping some of you more experienced T3 owners could help me with. The cold start is cooked, when starting the van I have to physically hold the throttle on until it's warm. Where can I buy a new cold start setup for an 2.0 efi? Also From the pictures below could you identify which camper conversion it is? I can't find the factory fitted sticker to tell me, anyone know where it should be? It's not in the front of the cabin below the dash. Much appreciated, Joel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Joels73 Panel

3. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Great looking camper. It is not the same as my '82 manual Camping Industries so you can rule that out. I source bits for my T3 from Nick at Volksparts here in Bungendore. He may be worth a call on 0412 345 126.

Any particular part of the mainland that you plan to visit?

Ian

4. Joels73 Panel

Thanks for the info Ian, hoping to climb up through the East Coast until I reach Northern end. Travel along the Northern Territory and peel back down through the middle

5. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

great to see you got another bus.....shame you had to sell your split thou

6. Joels73 Panel

Sure was a shame mate, always glad to start a new chapter though.

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hey Joel, great to see you back on site again mate, So you will have to call into the mount at some stage, you still owe me a beer. Great looking bus mate.

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Joel,

Cant help you with the engine parts oor actually the fit out.

It is one I have never seen before - not a Camperize or Trakka or Frontline and not even a Westfalia or other import that I have seen.

They sometimes put the label in the battery tray area and sometimes on the side of the step and in some cases behind the driver seat just under the upper seat belt mount. Go grab the torch and search.

Was there any paper work to give you a hint in the glove box?

Great van by the way and welcome to the T3 fold.;)

9. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

That's a real "In your face camper" love it, welcome to the ever increasing T3 mob.

10. syncrogreg

syncrogreg Member

That is an odd ball roof Joel. Never seen one like it. I can only assume it was individually imported or a trial fit by one of the aussie mobs.
    You probably are all over this but make sure your tin ware (+clean the fins) and fuel lines are top notch before you head up north, the ambient will put real stress on an air cooled engine. Have you thought about adding and aux oil cooler.

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have done about 300,000km in my T3 camping in all parts of Australia. I agree that the tinware must be there. I didn't run any extra oil coolers etc. just made sure all was in top condition before I left. Most of my travels have been with a 6X4 tradies trailer in tow with a stack of camping gear. I got sick of unpacking the T3 each day. Works extremely well. I do run a locking diff (though will be an LSD in the future), have the vehicle at the height of a syncro, run a second battery off solar and run 15" Mercedes rims. The only mod in the future is I will convert the beast to diesel. I know I have been talking about it for the past couple of years but it looks like the stars will align this year. The longest trip was in to the Kimberly's.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?1061-Kimberley-Trip

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?1438-Kimberley-Trip-Pt-2

When on your trip please drop in if you are in our area. i.e. Bungendore.

Ian

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  12. Joels73 Panel

Thanks for the replies and info everyone, I'll have a good look around it, see if I can find the sticker. Also I would love to catch up with you all during my travels

13. Rach

Rach Member

Hi Joel
    Don't know much about fittouts but maybe it's a DIY? Inside looks good, mine is a Trakka and the sticker was on the sliding door with the number on it. I had to use it as proof it was a genuine fitt out for insurance after having a whole heap of work done on the interior. They are the best, wherever we go, people are sooooo envious...

14. Joels73 Panel

Hey Rach, I'll have a good look through the whole van. I'm having the same problem with insurance, need to find the sticker

15. Rach

Rach Member

Hey Joel
    Who are you trying to insure with? I ended up going with CIL

16. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hey Joel mate, shannons buddy. By the way . Hows your dads clipper coming along?

17. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hey mate, can you not get any info from our friend around the corner at caravelle autos?

18. Joels73 Panel

Anyone I can Rach. Hey Brian already been to see Pete, he's not sure on the sticker location either.

19. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

If Pete dont know mate, then its a big mystery. Hope some one can find some info some where for you.