1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2L Auto Trans Question

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Ralph, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Hi all , my first newbie question , our first foray into Kombi ownership saw us spend shirt loads on an old 74 Bay that we put a 2L and Auto into , it was never the dream bus we envisaged but ( loooong story ) we did really like the laid back driving experience , so our current 76 Sopru looks like getting an Auto , the million dollar question is which Trans should I be trying to hunt down and what are the numbers and codes I need to know , also if anyone has any leads it would be appreciated ,
    thanks Ralph

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

buy an automatic kombi it is far easier than converting one.

tinymcmassive and Miss Rosie like this.
  3. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Very true Kai , seems that anybody that has one is very reluctant to let it go , on the upside the wife said if we can get the porridge out of the shifter she would be quite happy to stay manual , so I think the more she drives it the more comfortable she will get , ( and the more beer money I will have !! )

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hell of a lot easier, and cheaper, to get a manual sorted than changing to an auto if that's an option.
    Better ratios as well :)

5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Often "the porridge" is removed by simply replacing the selector coupling & selector bush…….both very easy jobs & use cheap parts.
    …..well within the capabilities of anyone with an ounce of ability.
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Thanks Mark , have the tools and the space , nice to know it is possible to DIY , steering center pin and shifter slop high on the list , while tracking down the rattles , step by step little by little ,

7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Very easy job as Mark said. Shifter bush I did yesterday in 10 mins and $7.60 from JK. Allow a couple more mins if you have to take off the splash guard) Rear coupling is about 2o mins and $14.20. Steering centre pin, a day and a bit of patience and a bit of tool making. You need something to push the old bushes out and the new ones in. Have done it and there are lots of instructions how to do it out there.

BTW the way to set up the gearshift after you replace the shift bush is put it in 2nd gear, push the plate under the spring over hard towards the passenger side and make the first bit of the shift lever before the bend perpendicular to the floor at that point. Tighten the 2 bolts and it should be very close to perfect.

Adrian

PICT likes this.
  8. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me where I but a auto transmission service kit - for a 2L kombi - ie the gasket seal and filter I think.
    Thanks

9. Caravelle85

Caravelle85 Member

I have started using these guys for some parts - cheap kit but the shipping from the US will probably be prohibitive. Am sure someone can come up with a better local suggestion
    http://www.busdepot.com/010398009

Actually, if you look at the list of cars that the kit in the link fits (Golf etc) you might be able to order it through a local parts store such as Bursons? Or even a VW dealer service/parts centre

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    bagman and Mr Beckstar like this.
  10. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Hi - was able to source locally a service kit for the auto which included a filter and a black rubber seal for the pan ( looks like it fits into a groove set up in the pan- every thing is labelled t2 - to 79 .
    But there is something bugging me - from memory I thought the pan gasket was more like a cork flat seal with holes in for bolts of the pan ?. And assuming the auto is basically the same as a early T3 - can any one shed any light .

Oh the other bug bare is how some sites refer to the transmission but it’s really a gear box - mainly US sites - is it just me ?

11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

If you want to get really pedantic it is actually a transaxle as it has a diff. In an auto I suppose you could say the "gearbox" is the auto unit and the differential is separate, but a manual is definitely a combination of both diff and gearbox in the one unit - Transaxle.

Adrian

12. Caravelle85

Caravelle85 Member

If you don't get a response, I'd be tempted to contact 1500king on here as it looks like he does transmission rebuilds so he'll know for sure or try asking Dave Butler, I think I sent you a message with his contact details

bagman likes this.
  13. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Thanks - have been told the cork gasket was only up to 73 models - but will follow up your advice .

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

cork auto pan gasket is for 003 transaxle 1973-1975 - 003-321-371
    rubber auto pan gasket is for 010 transaxles 1976 on - 010-321-371/B
    have seen two different types of diff gaskets - 090-507-215

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Thanks Kai - getting more confident now