1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

34 Pict 3 & 009 Dizzy Flat spot

Discussion in 'Performance' started by sosage, Aug 6, 2012.

1. sosage

sosage Member

Hey all, so i'm running a bocar 34 pict 3 + 009 Dizzy and am told there is no way arond havin a flat spot as this is normal for this set up.

Have looked on a few websites and they seem to have answers to fix the idel/low rev flat spot

http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/ - this seems easy enough and I could try this, but I was also looking at a new Dizzy which is more compatable wit the 34 carby...SVDA = Single Vacuum, Dual Advance Distributor. The read is here http://www.aircooled.net/vw-distributor-options/

Im happy to spend the $300 for this dizzy Pluss $89 for the Petronix Electronic Points if it will def help...Btw what do eletronic points do and does this mean I have to buy all new higher performance leads, coil etc as well?

Cheers Sos.

2. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

ther are some rally crap 009s about
    there are some that work
    The sdva from aircooled is an excellent option especially on a standard donk
    the leads and coil are optional
    the petronics remove the points
    go and see Brendon at his workshop he will sort you out.
    Mitchell

3. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

x 10 Aircooled.net sells top quality gear, get there SDVA dizzy about $199 from memory + electronic ignition in it.

4. Carter

Carter Member

electronic ignition replaces the need to change the points.... how ever often they are supposed to be changed / gapped. Not a real performance gainer, which a lot of people think they are, but might make starting easier and possibly if teamed up with hotter coil etc, you may see a slight improvement in economy over a long time. Definitely worth it, unless you love doing your maintenance. SVDA dizzy is 100% a goer too!

5. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

One of the major issues is the pre-heat on your manifold IMO
    If you have a stock exhaust or one that works with the heat risers you will solve most of the problem.
    Apart from that you will want the vacuum advance dissy. Both are necessary.

6. JayBone

JayBone Member

I had the same set up as you, same problems, installed a SDVA still with points and it runs alot better, albeit once it has warmed up.

With a standard engine, i would stick to standard parts, and they were meant to be Vac advance :)

7. sosage

sosage Member

Just bought:
    Pertronix 40kV Flamethrower Ignition Coil, Chrome, 3 Ohm, Oil Filled
    Aircooled.Net SVDA Distributor with Upgrade to a Points Replacement Dev Pertronix Brand Electronic Points
    Should be here in 2 weeks

Another question is that my inlet manifold has a couple of big rips in the steel, could this also cause any problems with the engine at all?
    Cheers for your help.

8. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Show us a pic of the rips

If it is letting air into the system after the carb then nothing else you do will solve it.

9. JayBone

JayBone Member

Holes in the manifold?? That will cause alot of problems! Vacuum leaks, you are sucking in too much air, your mixture will be way out.

10. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

might be rusted out pre heat tube.
    The Germans did think it all out and didnt put stuff on an engine unless it was needed.
    Get it OG and working and it'll drive sweet. Mitchell

11. sosage

sosage Member

My mechanic has taken out the pre heat tubes, sealed them off and put J pipes on. The inlet manifold holes are pretty nasty but was told by a few different people that this is not a problem with anything at all? I might just buy a new one of JK to tidy up the Engine bay. Havent got a camera with me atm so I cannot take photos. Cheers Sos.

12. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Lack of pre-heat tubes will make your single carb never quite right.
    Bad call to get rid of them.

13. sosage

sosage Member

Have still got them, plus does it matter if I have changed it from the oil filled airfilter to the Air filter on top of the carb? I will put all this back on as I still have all the parts. Funny how no one tells you any of this when you "upgrade" your engine...

14. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

You may have to change your air/fuel mixture if you change your filters.

15. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

The J tube make no difference the riser for the preheat tubes comes off the muffler. you can have the standard muffler and j tubes with the manifold preheater connected . As vassy69SC says if you are running standard everything else then you need everything else or it will never be quite right . Mitchell