1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50th Birthday a Few Months Early

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Maxa1967, May 17, 2017.

1. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Our Kombi is coming up to its 50th year in a few months so a few upgrades are in order, motor and drivetrain have had a little tweek so now it's time to re-cover the rear seats and mattress. Was trying to keep it all original but the material is out of my price range at the moment. The fabric we found cost the same to do the whole job as 1m of the original pattern material cost from Europe. The only things that need doing is the pop top canvas and trim other than that she is pretty much as she was when she was picked up from the factory in Germany in 1967 and 65,000 miles ago

Attached Files:

Syncro27 and vassy69SC like this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Maxa 1967,
    Congratulations on your golden anniversary:p with your bus. Did you pick her up from the factory?
    Nice that she's original. Do your best to maintain that! Must have so many memories. Could you share some on this forum?
    ;)
    Cheers
    Another GIF creator ..........sheesh.....I'm feeling old!:rolleyes::(

3. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

That is fantastic!! Absolutely love it.

4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow nice 67 Westy.

That looks like its in fantastic condition.

Thats a keeper!

5. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Hopefully I can hand it down to my daughter when I'm too old to drive. Its been in the family since new and I was there when it was bought from the factory in 1967 prior to it being driven out to India and shipped to Darwin. It was my uncles and I have had it a few years but had not driven it much as I hadn't wanted to bring it out here to Western Qld until I had upgraded the motor and I had left it stored at my parents place which is about 1000 k's from here. Now that it is home the fun begins. Just replaced the rear shocks as one of the originals started to leak and it's now on its 3rd set of tyres since new.. I must say a big thanks to Geoff Scott for his work, done on time at the quoted price and without any bullshit in fact quite a lot extra at no charge.......brilliant. Did the 1,000 km home in the one day and the motor was starting to loosen nicely, impressive!
    I don't intend doing a complete resto on it as I don't see the need just an ongoing replacement of bits and pieces as necessary and keeping it as close to original as possible.
    I just pulled the westfalia fit out out which is probably the first time since new to replace the floor covering and the material on the rear seats and mattress and much I am impressed with the whole fit out as it can all be pulled out in under 20 minutes plus I found a few little bits as in the photo's. Does anyone know if westfalia provided utensils as I found a little chopping board which fits exactly into the draw plus a little salt and pepper shaker?

Attached Files:

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Got to be wrapped with that ride :cool:

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Maxa1967,
    What a fantastic inheritance. Just 3 sets of tyres. I'd guess mine's on his 15th seto_O. Fancy a shock absorber leaking after 50 years!!:p. Don't make 'em like they used to:rolleyes:.
    How many miles? It's very unusual & also exceptionally handy to have total provenance of a vehicle of that age. So many get passed around & subjected to all sorts of treatment.:rolleyes:. I'm impressed;).
    Cheers

8. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Just coming up to 65,000 miles. The shock leaking was a bit of a po, bloody German engineering!! I am having an interesting time chasing bits down as quite a few are still split stuff and other bits are different to AUS assembled buses even down to the sun visors. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to treat the hood lining with, it's insulated with a full plywood covering and is looking dry, I have given it a wipe with o cedar , any other options?