1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

58 split screen found for sale, should i buy it?

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by michaelchurch, Nov 20, 2012.

1. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

FOUND A 58 SPLIT SCREEN FOR SALE WITH RUST EVERYWHERE, BEING USED AS A CHOOK HOUSE, LOOKED SOLID ON INSPECTION OTHER THAN RUST IN ALL THE USUAL PLACES, WHAT DO YOU THINK, SHOULD I SCOOP IT UP AND SAVE IT.. THEY WANT $1900 and its only 20kms from my place, was this meant to be :heart:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

$190 maybe/
    think theyve seen to many higher prices.
    looks like it will disintigrate if sandblasted

col

3. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

haha Its not to bad, seen worse, the color is orange, its not pure rust as it first looks

4. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

I would grab it, but expect to fork out $'s for rust repairs if you can't do it yourself

And welcome to the site

5. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

Well I guess it depends on two things, the first is do you have chooks want chooks and need a chook house, the second is are you a welder panel beater and have a love to sacrifice a lot of time to bring it back, oh and I forgot this one that you have a persoanal attachment to the year like the year you were born and really have heaps of cash to get some one else to fix it. Heaps of work mate, just my 2 bobs worth

6. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

Thanks Mike :) no idea how to restore, will be getting it done professionally , looking to spend 40k getting it on the road over the next 5-7 years , no personal attachment to the year, i was born in 90, starting while im young, i might get to drive it before i die if all goes to plan haha

7. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Nah don't do it, send me the address and I'll get rid of it for you :) . 58's a cool bus.. very cool.

8. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Nothing is really beyond repair anymore.

If that bus has some parts that aren't shown in the pics then even if it's so far gone that it would crumble if moved, it's worth the money IMO.

Has it got bumpers, Rear valance, seats, lights, engine lid, ...speedo, uncut dash.....do you see what I mean ? Even if it's a crumbling wreck, the money being asked makes this a good buy if you have some good parts to sell and perhaps put towards another project if this is not viable. All IMO of course...

9. Ged_Palmy

Ged_Palmy Member

Do it Mick but do a cash deal and bring a trailer

10. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

has uncut dash, all doors, lids, steering wheel , windows, except front 2, both bumpers, rolls and sears, has front seat but will need to be recovered , missing engine , lights, front windows

11. Roo

Roo Active Member

What's so cool about the '58, Dak? Are you showing us your age??

Looks like a starting point Michael. You certainly have a grand plan and hope it comes to fruition mate. Agree with Ian, some good parts that you can use on another one if it comes along and/or trade for parts you may need. P.S. Welcome to the KC and what area/state are you in?

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Semaphores???

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If that's the budget & timeframe...... GO FOR IT!

Still worth haggling down the starting price, replacement chook houses aren't that expensive, to relocate the current tennants!:)

14. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Roger that!!

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You will need to double the budget if getting a 'restorer' to do the work

col

16. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

I agree with Col. If you're paying someone else and want it done properly it will cost you way more than 40K. And really, it won't be original anymore - it'll be 50% (or more) funky green panels. $1900 seems cheap now but unless you can weld and weld well, don't do it.
    Have a look at Chuck's thread to see how much work they are doing to his bus. He has had to replace a lot more metal then he thought, and Chuck knows Kombis!

If you can't do the work yourself you're better off saving your biccies and buying a more original, rust free splitty.

17. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

More like 80 - 100 k , let's be honest. Rat the hell out of that thing, then 40k will do .

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

50% bay once you replace all the running gear:p
    Ill bet all the gear is unsalvagable. have a good look underneath and check if theres enough floor left as a base to atach new sections.
    Ill go for it being a nightmare and bottomless pit.
    Hopefuly i might be wrong ?

just the flipside:)

col

19. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

AHEM.... :wtf: , hey, at least it stops :lol:

20. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Don't need bay running gear, keep the split front and use per 65 type 3 transmission, works a treat on my 63