Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Keni, Sep 16, 2013.
Love it and your progress though.
Looks good, are you going white belt line up ?
Cheers Mike, yes will be white from the belt line up and a white interior.
It's been a while since my last post but progress has continued. Finished stripping back the inside and then primed and painted. Have also finished the underbody, all painted and ready for the engine and gearbox. Amongst all this also welcomed a baby girl to the family so despite the lack of sleep still trying to keep the work going.
Help needed, so I've been progressing week with the Resto and have some photos to upload. Trying to install the gear shifter and while I can find all the gears with it loosely installed as soon as I tighten it up I can't find 1st and 2nd. I'm tightening it up while engaged in 2nd. The only thing I can think of is the new connector bushing at the gear box end is slightly shorter which is causing an issue, any one had a similar issue?
Here are some more pics of the progress
Really great job - I have just bought a 1976 kombi - very happy as kids we had a 74 with many great memories. You have done an amazing job doing it all yourself must be very satisfying great stuff - what have you done re the interior
Try installing in neutral and tightening in neutral, is the "selector" plate between the lever and floor correctly in position (right way round and not upside down. Might be the adjustment at the front (under side of the floor where gear rod is) needs some adjustment, are the gear rod bushes all new and in properly? Is the pin on the ball at the bottom of the gear lever seating correctly in the cup to stop movement?
Love what your doing here. How did you flip/ roll the bus for the underside work? Rotisserie or roll cage or other? Looks great. I would go the 2pack. If only for better assurance against stones and mud in the long term.
Does the motor and gearbox need to move forward slightly, seeing you think the connector is short, does the engine seal fit properly or are you having trouble fitting it, as I can see it loose in the engine photo you posted, moving the engine/gearbox forward will move the selector rod forward, this might solve your gear problem, just a thought
While where at it, did you put a new gearbox mount in
I haven't quite finished the interior, but the intention is to get the seats re covered in white with a teal trim. This is where it is at currently
I used a rotisserie for the under side work, best money spent for the whole project. Made the underside and roof so much easier. I ended up with the 2 PAC in the end, probably fair to say I got better as I went along. I will go back and do the average bits later but I had to get the bus on the road before th end of the year as we are moving back to Perth, so it needed to be drivable to be able to go on the truck. Nothing like a deadline to push a project along...
I'm not sure it can go much further forward,as there isn't much play in the engine mounts. I think the gap is due to the new tinware as it doesn't quite seem to fit as well. After thinking it some more over the weekend I don't think its the connection bush or the length otherwise I wouldn't be able to get 3rd and 4 th so it must be that the gear box is slightly scewed to the driver side.
Separate names with a comma.