1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

73 single cab questions

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by BrissyGeorge, May 23, 2013.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Hi,

a couple of questions re my new 73 single cab please:

First; on the dash, bottom left corner there is a single light - - something to do with the brake I think - whats its function? - to let you know that the handbrake is on? (anyone know where I am likely to pick up an owners manual?)

Second. The speedo is reading about 10% high. I was initially going to get the speedo recalibrated but then thought that because he has a 2.0l engine and tranny that might have a different ratio for the speedo?

As before, any suggestions will be appreciated.

cheers

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

10% is normal from the factory. Modern cars are around 5%.

What size tyres do you have 185x14?

3. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Guest

Hi, the light on the dash is to tell you the engine is on. - Liss

4. BrissyGeorge

Hmmmmm, I know a ute engine is very quiet but - perhaps not!!!! - its not the one in the instrument cluster, it sits all alone on the bottom left of the panel.

5. terbear

terbear Member

My ute engine's not quiet.... :cool::rolleyes:;)

6. Mr-Grim1077

Mr-Grim1077 Member

The little red or yellowish one down the bottom left I believe is to indicate whether or not the brake booster is working properly.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  7. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

A picture of the light would help :). It might be something that a previous owner has added.

Actually, do you mean the light at the bottom left of the instrument cluster panel?

If so that is the brake warning light.

8. lakepipes

lakepipes Member

The light on the lower dash should come on with the ignition and then turn off, its a brake failure circuit warning light.
    As for the speedo, check your tyre size, your speedo cable runs down to your front wheel hub, its not connected to your gearbox like a "regular" generic car.
    A change in rolling diameter from your wheel will change the speedo.

9. BrissyGeorge

The info so far:

Speedo - its not the gearbox (thanks Lakespipes) as it comes from the front wheel. Tyre size is 195-70R14 - slightly lower profile than the original I guess but I am not sure if that is enough to make the speedo show 110 when GPS says 100

Dash light - Thanks again to Lakespipes and Grim that the light on the lower dash has something to do with the brakes. At the moment it doesn`t light at all - when I turn the ignition on, start the engine - nothing. How do I test/know its working and if it ever comes on, what is it telling me?

10. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Some tyre stats to bore you.

Standard profile is 185 R14 which equates to an 80 or 82 profile tyre. This give you a rolling circumference of 204.7cm. The 195 70's have a rolling circumference of 197.5cm. The difference is 3.5% which combined with the factory settings accounts for you error of 10% overall.

11. BrissyGeorge

Thanks Aspro - so basically my options are:

Build a bridge and get over it - accept it as one of the utes challenges
    or
    take my speedo to a instrument repairer to see if it can be adjusted (if this is possible)
    Hmmm - need another beer to mull it over

12. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

13. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

Gee I hope that 110 was downhill!! Your poor ute shouldn't be pushed to such speeds. . . ;)

14. lakepipes

lakepipes Member

Capture.JPG info for your brake light... check to see if the globe has not blown and the wires are all connected/tight...

15. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

bleed your brakes and get some taller tyres :cool: