1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

73 westfalia continental

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by MrBubbleHead, May 19, 2012.

1. type2mania

type2mania Member

Lucky there was no rust in floor under the ply wood! You're doing a great job mate! Keep the pics. coming. Cheers!

2. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I realise you are in Melbourne and I'm not but where did you find the ply?

Looks like you are making plenty of progress.

As mentioned I ended up using a colour wash on the worn ply and the replacement for the rear hatch (it was falling to pieces). I also gave it a coat or two of Cabothane to seal it. The fluorescent on the roof has since been replaced by the correct type of lighting as have the curtains. The roof ply has not been restored.

[​IMG]

3. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

I got the ply from PLYCO based in Melbourne they had the correct 3.5mm ply in stock. cost was I think about $68 a sheet with GST. I picked it up in the 78 kombi and slid it into the rear from the rear hatch no problem. I had a quick search and found Sydney would be your best bet I'd talk to these guys and go from there they don't show it on there web site but I recon they would have it, you might get it closer you never know.
    http://bruynzeel.rtrk.com.au/?scid=58416&kw=4683058:21956&pub_cr_id=7859658714

I then set about making templates from the originals and used a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut them out. Tip : cut from the back side that way any rough edges are on the back of the board and you get a perfect edge at the front (I researched this first as I had no room for mistakes) Drill any holes from the front as the back tends to be the messy side of the hole. Once all the panels are cut out I sanded the surfaces and edges starting at P120 grade paper down to P400 by hand is the best I found.

Next I had a few nights messing around trying to get the right finish and tint using these products (a lot of luck and guessing)with a scrap piece of light colour ply. I knew it looked like some kind of lime wash base on the original just tinted down a little (no I've not ever done this before I just figured if you use the good products from the same range you'll get no chemical reactions) all I had to do then was play with the applications and colours and finishes. (PITA)

[​IMG]

products used lime for the base the new baltic pine as a tint-er then polyurethane as a sealer. The practice tints I made the on the left one is what I ended up using the other is too dark seen on bottom pic

[​IMG]

first practice board

[​IMG]

Practice makes close on perfect

Here's what I came up with

1. cut out and sand the panels

2. seal each one with a layer of the poly-finish and leave to dry over night

3. sand again with P400 and wipe clean with a turpentine soaked rag

4. lay on a layer of straight lime leave for ten mins and wipe off with a rag (with a little turps on it) wipe off exposing a little of the grain. Keeping it even and not patchy (again practice first on a scrap piece then you'll start getting the idea of how much to take off ready for the next wash)

5. let it dry over night and sand with 400 and wipe clean with a turps rag

6. then use your tinted lime wash you made and do another layer again let it soak in then wipe off evenly.

7. if your happy with the grain and texture clean and sand with P400 then coat with two coats of the poly-sealer

Tip during the processes sanding can help even out any heavy limed or tinted areas.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Heres a few more of the floor resto.

[​IMG]

Painted

[​IMG]

new ply sub floor cut and fitted

[​IMG]
    I used a laminate floor as I've had good results in using these before and I didn't see any vynal which was close to the original or hard wearing so for now laminate is the go.

5. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

A few more of the panels been made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

From this
    [​IMG]

To this
    [​IMG]

To this
    [​IMG]

7. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    vent window fitted, new mirror, and testing out the deluxe trim with doulble sided tape just for effect, still not sure wether to use it. I've also got some Vw america front and rear deluxe overiders I've had on the 78 for the last 7 years which will come over onto the westi

8. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Last night I fitted up the jail bars to the rear window and screwed them in. I've finished making the last of the panels and staining them ready for fitting up. I mounted the sliding door panel which has really come up well, not a bad day really.

9. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

here's how the rear hatch is now looking minus the top curtain rail for now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking back note the extra panels I made for the sides of the luggage compartment yet to be fitted up. these are a slight change to the original. The originals are just 60mm strips that go at the top of the panel edge, I thought I might experiment with these side pieces as I had enough ply left over to do it. The roof ply is going to stay original as this is in really good original condition.

[​IMG]

Still playing with the idea of the Deluxe trim

10. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

This kombi interior looks so tidy it's nice to see a good original. I've made the move to obviously move slightly away from the original as I carn't get the material for my seats, but I'm going to clean them and cover over so the next owner will have the option of going back to original if they wish.

11. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Great job. '73 was a fairly unique year for Westfalias with the mustard cloth covers.

The luggage bars always set the vehicle off. Done on mine as well. As regards the deluxe strips - it probably suits your vehicle. I wouldn't mind installing deluxe trim on mine but it will cover some of the "artwork" (which I'm increasingly in two minds about anyway)

12. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Well not to much has happened since I last posted but I have got a good 2ltr motor ready to install. I've still got to get a 2ltr gearbox so I can complete the conversion. Still moving on with putting the interior back in all cleaned and freshened up and new seat covers fitted.

13. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Slowly moving forward with getting the front doors built up with new rubbers. Once the funds build up I'm recovering the front seats which I now have the correct ones for this year then new rubber under seat mats kick panels and floor mat and door cards just stock original nothing fancy.

14. kombivan

kombivan New Member

is it a 1600 or 1700 I have heard the 1700cc are better than the larger engines.

15. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

It's a 1600cc which I'm planning on putting a 2ltr box and engine into. It doesn't have the engine hatch which if you ordered the 1700 would of come with the hatch.

16. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Love your camper.

Cant beat a Westfalia for a proper well designed and constructed camper vehicle.

I like the deluxe trim too - I would run with it.

Cant wait to see it all finished!

17. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Yeah I agree having had a few campers and taken out this interior its really well made compared with others, easy to take out and put back (I presume, I haven't put it back in yet).
    I'm going with the deluxe trim idea but I'm missing a few clips (approx 20) which I can get new but are pricey so I'll ask about before paying out for a new set.

I'm in need of a few Westy only items like:

The correct fold in half main dining table
    The cooker is missing its original pot/pan support ie the chrome wirey thing the pot sits on.
    The rear cushion for the rock and roll bed. the one that sits in the rear over the engine. easy to make but an original 73 only cloth would be good
    The buddy seat base cushion and wedge cushion again easy to make but the 73 only cloth would be good
    The sink fold out shelve which sits over the sink when folded away.
    The coolbox wire tray is a bit average to so I might replace it.
    The cutlery tray is missing but I don't think I've ever see one so maybe make one would be better.
    Original westy sink tap / faset , I can get one of these new.

That's all the hard stuff anyway there's other small stuff like broken handles and plastic fold down cupboard door support/stays, Curtain hold back clips etc This stuff is easy to get new and would be better off with new.

I'm also after an uncut dash for a good price, as if not I'll get the radio hole repaired back to a pre butchered state.

If anyone has any of the above bits or can help source one in this country I'd be happy to hear from you.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  18. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

008.jpg

Very happy this week managed to find a klms trip speedo which the owner didn't want to take one of my organs for payment. Upon removing the mph original speedo from the dash the klms speedo has exactly the same manufacture year and month as the original, Its a match made in hevan or just mabey a pure fluke. Now all I need to look out for is a clock for the right price.

19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Nice find. I'm lucky that my '71 Westy was Europen delivery so it's was in kilometers originally. My aim now is to clean up the face plates of the instruments and replace the lighting. They are ok in daylight but at night... And a clock would be nice too.

20. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

I was looking for a clock as well then I saw Aspros tachos better than a clock I recon and the money you pay for a clock I thought might as well go towards the tacho. My other bus has a clock which I found I used more than looking across to the stereo. I always thought a factory looking tacho would be an awesome thing, so from now I'll be happy using the stereo or my phone for the time keeping.