1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

73 westfalia continental

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by MrBubbleHead, May 19, 2012.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Awesome looking speedo cluster you have there.

The camper iss coming along nicely now!

2. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Still plugging away on this bus I need it ready for this summer.

I've pulled the engine out and i'll be removing the gearbox next as I now have the 2 liter box and engine. I've been busy taking the windows out and cleaning up any damage too the paint.

I received my tacho from England and fitted it to the dash cluster, should give me an even better indication of how hard the long hills are affecting the bus revs.

[​IMG]

I also decided to remake to dodgy old kick panels which the PO decided would make great speaker enclosures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

So I then used them as templates and cut some fresh ones. I know you can buy these but I've only seen ABS plastic ones and there $70 plus postage. Plastic just doesn't sell me to be honest just doesn't seem right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a quick spray and there as good as new I might add some black contact to cover them if I can find the right sort with the leatherette grain to match original

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Here they are installed

[​IMG]

5. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

I've been busy with any spare time the last few weeks pulling the 1600cc engine and gear box ready for the type 4 2ltr conversion. while I was doing this I prepped the 2ltr engine and gave it a check over and replaced all its seals, put in a new clutch and stripped and painted all its tin wear. The fan housing I was going to paint but I wanted to see how hydro blasting brought it around so I paid the extra and did so. I wrapped I did as its come up really nice, even close up you'd swear it looks painted but this will dull down in time back to a grey.

Here's how its looking now I've just one carb and the air box to clean up before I plan on installing it hopefully this week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

[​IMG]

I've got the six rib 2ltr box in the kombi ready and a recoed starter motor along with the alternator which I only had recoed under 4000 klms ago. I'm wainting on the heater boxes to come back from a little fixing up but they can wait until its in the bus.

Next job the brakes and interior covers including curtains.

7. Barney Barndoor

Barney Barndoor Active Member

The Westy is Looking good mate, good stuff..love the 73's

cheers Barney

8. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Nice work Mr. Bubblehead. Still following your Westfalia efforts. My '71 Westy is still going well.

9. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but what did you make the new kick panels out of? Engine looks very tidy BTW!

10. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

For the new kicks I used hardboard from Masters it comes in small sheets and looks like its meant to be kids black board material so one side is already black but I grabbed a $3 can of flat black paint while it was there. Beats paying $70 plus postage. All up they cost me under $20

11. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Came up alright - thanks for the tip, was thinking about doing something similar...

12. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Found this pic the other day and love it. love a bay on 17 inch wheels

[​IMG]

bay window bandit likes this.
  13. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Arrr! So on Monday I arranged for a vw mate to get the engine onto gearbox. I'd already had it to the point of sitting it into the engine bay and using my ever handy wooden blocks got the engine elevated so I can slide a jack under it. Anyway so we got the engine onto the splines no problem, but bugger me couldn't quite push the engine all the way home.
    It didn't mater what I did I still had at least 6mm gap to pull up snug the engine to the gearbox bell housing. I've done a few engine now and never had a problem pushing them onto the splines.
    I was going through what it could be in my head. Ok clutch is new 2ltr carnt be that next the flywheel yep that's 2ltr engine is a 2ltr and the gearbox is defiantly 2ltr. Hang on I didn't check what the bell housing was you'd think a 2ltr gearbox would come with a 2ltr bell housing not in this case. It seems to be a 1600

So pulling the engine back off the splines and back onto the blocks of wood we poked our little noggings behind to look at the bell housing and sure enough the tell tail marks of fresh metal inside the bell housing where the clutch plate was pushing hard up against the inside of the housing.

Well a phone call was made to a friend and today I picked up a 2ltr bell housing plus gasket, from them plus the final missing bits of heater box risers. Not all bad then

So with that lesson learnt check your bell housing if your doing the type 4 conversion apparently heaps of kombis are running around with the wrong bell housings as over the years people didn't want to fork out for a new clutch and/or 1700-1800 starter or a 2 ltr starter motor meaning they could use there 1600 clutch and motor. Big savings there.

So tomorrow I'll be pulling out the box and swapping the housings over. Quite looking forward to it to be honest.
    Next job onto the brakes.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  14. Nigel

Nigel Member

1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental

In 1975, I retro-fitted a home-made, full-width, supplementary plywood cutlery (i.e. cooking & eating utensils) drawer, to my British specification, 1973 VW Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan.

This was made using ¼ inch plywood for the front, back & sides, plus 1/8 inch plywood for the base and five two-thirds depth, internal dividers. The drawer runners, were made from off-cuts of rosewood.

Other illustrated items, include the momentary, push-button switch for the retro-fitted, Denton Greenwood "Evenflow" electric water pump, a Swedish-made, splash-proof, 12VDC accessory cigar-lighter socket, fuse holder for both electrical systems and a pair of hinged stays, for the fold-down flap.

[​IMG]

The original cutlery drawer isn't very useful for cutlery, but we use it for storing small plastic containers of condiments, jam, marmalade, chutney, and pickles, etc. I cut the shaped hand-hold, so that the original lower drawer could be opened.

In circa 1988/89, I retro-fitted a 12VDC electric water pump, to supply the sink-unit's hand-pump cum faucet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  15. Nigel

Nigel Member

The following section, is an excerpt from the forthcoming issue of Transporter Talk magazine, published by the Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club, in Great Britain.

Nigel A. Skeet, "Free storage containers, for use in your home, garage & campervan", Transporter Talk, Issue 127, March & April 2014

Although in mid-1975, I had fabricated a supplementary five-section cutlery & utensil drawer, for the sink-unit, of our 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, this was not well suited to the storage of larger, bulkier kitchen utensils, such as spatulae, ladles, whisks and wooden mixing spoons. The cheap and simple solution, was a tall, circular cross-section, washing-up liquid bottle, whose truncated conical top section, was chopped off and discarded. What remained (70 mm diameter x 220 mm tall), was positioned upright, in the rearmost section of the fold-up-cooker cabinet, where the larger utensils reside out of harm's way, but are immediately accessible to the cook.

Washing-up bottles of this shape, now seem to be few and far between, but other plastic bottles (e.g. Mrs Cooper's Best Towel Reviver, Dr Johnson's Sterilising Fluid or Sainsbury's Basics Shampoo) are probably equally suitable. The Mrs Cooper's Best Towel Reviver 1-litre bottle (82 mm diameter x 198 mm tall, with the top cut off), is a snug fit between the back of the cabinet and the gas pipework & hose, so 82 mm diameter, would probably be the largest bottle size one should contemplate using. One might even consider using an off-cut, of circular cross-section, plastic rain-gutter down-pipe, rather than a cut-down bottle. I suspect that square cross-section, plastic rain-gutter down-pipe, might interfere with the cooker's gas-valve knobs, but I don't have any with which to check.

In the past, we had struggled to find suitable containers for milk, fruit juice or other liquids, which could be accommodated by the in-door storage section, of the insulated food cabinet (aka ice box) beneath the sink-unit, of our Westfalia Continental. However, during the mid-1980s, I discovered two types of washable (using a bottle brush), translucent-plastic bottles, which together, fitted the available space quite snugly, without incurring any distortion, of either the cabinet door or the three bottles (two large and one small).

The smaller of the two types, was a square cross-section (66 mm x 66 mm x 171 mm), screw-top bottle, of circa 0•6-litre capacity, which had originally been used for surgical spirit, of which my father (a GP for 25 years) used quite a lot for cleaning people's skin, when administering injections. The other, of optimum height (58 mm x 99 mm x 220 mm tall), was a 1-litre sized container, of irregular octagonal cross-section (two long sides & six short sides, having two axes of mirror-symmetry), with screw-on pump-dispenser, used for Tesco's own-brand, budget-priced, hair shampoo, which at first sight, might have seemed unsuitable, owing to the lack of a proper top, but further investigation revealed, that commonly available screw-tops, originating from plastic soft-drinks' bottles, were a perfect fit; also fitting the surgical-spirit bottle. Ideally, to maximise storage capacity, the small bottle could have been about 50 mm taller and the large bottle 2 mm thicker, but one cannot have everything!

Although milk in Great Britain, is now commonly available in translucent-plastic, 1-pint & 2-pint cans (i.e. 0•608 & 1•136 litres), neither of these fit properly. Given that 0•1%, 1%, 2% & 4% fat (i.e. skimmed, demi-semi-skimmed, semi-skimmed and full-fat) milk, are typically sold in translucent-plastic cans, with red, orange, green or blue screw-tops respectively, one could similarly colour-code one's re-useable containers, using corresponding colours of screw-tops, originating from plastic soft-drinks' bottles.

The LPG gas-cylinder storage compartment (below the fold-up cooking stove), which is vented through the floor, was designed to store two refillable Camping Gaz 907 butane-gas cylinders, which are commonly available in Great Britain & Europe.

Refillable Camping Gaz 907, 904 & 901 cylinders

[​IMG]

This is an excerpt, from the British specification, 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental, campervan handbook, showing the upholstered, plywood-based, elevating-roof bed (in raised & lowered positions)

[​IMG]

Here's a topic thread, which is likely to interest any Westfalia campervan owners:

Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Body > Gas struts for Westfalia elevating roof

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=21732

I believe it is still possible to obtain the 1973-only upholstery fabric, of which I think the colour is called "Autumn Gold".

One can also obtain complete new sets of the white, yellow & brown checked curtains, but they are horrendously expensive!

http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/216-we...t-11pcs-white-yellow-and-brown-chequered.html

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    bay window bandit likes this.
  16. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Nigel

Thanks for your responses there's heaps of bits of info which will be of use. I've just returned from a trip to England where I managed to find a flip top sink table which I was missing it came from Sweden and I just fitted this last night it looks great. I also fitted the new sink facet I brought a few months back the original had been replaced with a later type hand pump type which was looking out of place. While I was working on the sink unit I replace the shabby looking handle and the broken hinge stay with new reproductions. To be honest your hinge stay is better where did you find that it's a perfect fit ?
    I brought enough handles to do all the cabinets but I've hit a snag the cool box Handle (which is cracked on one of the mountings so needs to go) it's screws are hidden behind the plastic inner bottle rack part on the back of the door. I had a look behind the seal and saw this is affixed by small staples which I'll have to remove very carefully as the plastic looks brittle I can then access the securing screws for the handle which I can swap over for the new one.
    Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the plastic insides of the cool box as mines got alsorts of stains in it?

17. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Nigel

Thanks for your responses there's heaps of bits of info which will be of use. I've just returned from a trip to England where I managed to find a flip top sink table which I was missing it came from Sweden and I just fitted this last night it looks great. I also fitted the new sink facet I brought a few months back the original had been replaced with a later type hand pump type which was looking out of place. While I was working on the sink unit I replace the shabby looking handle and the broken hinge stay with new reproductions. To be honest your hinge stay is better where did you find that it's a perfect fit ?
    I brought enough handles to do all the cabinets but I've hit a snag the cool box Handle (which is cracked on one of the mountings so needs to go) it's screws are hidden behind the plastic inner bottle rack part on the back of the door. I had a look behind the seal and saw this is affixed by small staples which I'll have to remove very carefully as the plastic looks brittle I can then access the securing screws for the handle which I can swap over for the new one.
    Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the plastic insides of the cool box as mines got alsorts of stains in it?

I really liked the tip for the cutlery draw and it's nice to see the original draw as mine was missing ( like many other bits) I can now use you pic as a reference to make a new one and I think I'll be pinching your top draw and larger utensils storage in cooker idea that's brilliant.

Whilst in the UK I brought a few things for the bus.

I brought a set of the uber rare reproduction rear three point inertia seat belt posts along with new Securon seat belts to go with them not really a cool accessory but more piece of mind for the safety of the kids.

The sink flip table as previously mentioned

A original buddy seat base in the correct 73 only material as the original was missing and someone had made up a replacement (quite badly) which came with the bus which wasn't even close to an original.

I brought a pair of reproduction westfalia inner window seals for the louver windows. These tidy up the interior part of the window and generally weren't fitted to most westys but finish off the untidy gap around the window on the inside hiding all the screws which hold the window in.

More updates soon...

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  18. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I had reasonable success by laying a bleach soaked rag on the stains for a period of time (your milage may vary). It was out of the vehicle so could do it at any angle.

Mine also had a couple of cracks and holes in the plastic lining. I sealed and filled these with white silastic and that worked fine. It all seems to seal well as, loaded with cold bricks, it has kept items cold all day.

19. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Awesome tip I'll be giving that a go for sure. Cracks wise I'm ok just one small one about 15mm in the top right corner where the drinks sit in the door

20. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Ok jumping back to jan / feb the engine was been a pain in the arse refusing to slide back onto its gearbox splines fully a
    I was working without a hoist and had limited available help with the heave hoeing so once the gearbox bell housing was replaced I had the engine in and out refusing to locate onto the splines so with a hand I dropped the engine and box ( again) and bolted them together on the ground then put it in a one unit. I've never had to do a kombi this way but this one was been ' special'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ahhhh it's in

[​IMG]