1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

73 westfalia continental

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by MrBubbleHead, May 19, 2012.

1. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Things have been slowly moving forward with the Westi. In the last few weeks I've done the rear brakes and wheel bearings with new quality parts. I'm about to start the fronts as since I have a UK ordered bus which came with the 1600cc no brake booster was fitted so I've been collecting the parts to carry out this part of the conversion.
    I've also been busy finally putting back the interior after recovering the seats and cleaning things up a little (pics to come).

At last I finally scored a good front cab mat with no holes in it. Today I had an RDO so I made good use of the day and decided to re-card my door panels something I've not had to do before but seemed simple enough to do.

Here's what I started with

View attachment 22488

2. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

IMG_3710.jpg So as you can see its not to bad but its card is broken in two

heres a few pics to show the process I went through

IMG_3704.jpg IMG_3705.jpg IMG_3708.jpg

3. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

4. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

5. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

and finally reattaching onto the new cards I made

View attachment 22504 View attachment 22505 View attachment 22506
    IMG_3728.jpg IMG_3730.jpg

Finally done I'm happy with the results and I saved myself some bucks ordering the correct ones from overseas. They still need a final clean up but you get the idea.

Some good tips:
    1. I found to clean the vinyl use those magic eraser's with which ever cleaner your using and use tissues to wipe away the dirt as you go. This I found stops the vinyl re-absorbing the dirt you lifted up. The eraser's were kind to the surface no matter how much I bared down scrubbing on the vinyl. Forget using a scrubbing brush, tooth brush any type of brush get the magic eraser's, this combo was a winner so long as you kept using lots of fresh tissues every wipe I made.

2. Using a heat gun helped me lose any crease's and retention the vinyl also bringing back the suppleness to the 40 year old vinyl. go easy keep it moving, leaving it too long on one area will cost you, one mistake and you'll screw everything with no come back.

3. I brought a bag of plastic clamps from Master's for $10 it had 14 clamps of 4 sizes these were a life saver. I've done something similar using pegs which sucked as they didn't have the holding capabilities. Invest in some.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks great.....just like a bought one!

7. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I've got a few tears in my OEM mustard vinyl coverings. Apparently there were circa '71 models in Europe that used cloth uphostery. Rare but would give me an excuse. Looking nice.

8. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Here's a few progress pics of the interior not the best pics but you get the idea.

The interior is all back in and we have recovered the seats with new cloth, many thanks to my wife for stitching up the new seat covers. I've found a few of the missing bits like the sink top table which came from Sweden while I was in the UK and the buddy seat base which also came from the UK.
    New mats installed under the front seats while I restored the correct front seats I found locally. New coco fiber pads and TMI seat covers I fitted along with heated seat elements while I was at it . The switch I've hidden but is easy to use see pic. The relay slotted into one of the spare spots VW provided under the fuse board

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nigel

Nigel Member

It must be getting colder in Australia, if you need heated seats!?!

Judging from the blue-plaid upholstery, you must be part of an Australian-Scottish branch of the clan!

MrBubbleHead likes this.
  10. Nigel

Nigel Member

11. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Nigel I had been thinking of this and had read this thread awhile ago thanks for bringing it back to light nice work on putting the measurements for the strap type which is what I think I'll go for. It's not getting colder down here, I just thought why not our passat has them and I've done a few journeys through the night in my other kombis and the heating system starts to struggle during the cooler months in the early hours. I recommend anyone who's recovering there seats put them in there. I rate them as been one of the best mods I've done to any kombi

12. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Not far to getting the westfalia regoed and on the road just a few things to finish on the brake booster. Then once regoed I can paint the wheels and bumpers and restore the pop top, get the rear foam cut and covered etc etc

I'm looking at putting gas struts on the pop top to aid lifting it up. I've done hours of research and found a few places which sell kits but not quite the right for my early style pop top. Has anyone done this mod to there early westy top

13. bay window bandit

bay window bandit Active Member

This bus is coming along nicely, all that hard work is paying off.
    Could you do me a favour and measure the hole in the roof for your pop top? also if you could take a pic of its position too, that would be awesome, as I'm toying with the idea of replacing my small pop top with a full length roof.

MrBubbleHead likes this.
  14. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

[​IMG]

Hope this is any use bay window bandit I pulled the roof off last week and from these shots you can see the sunroof hole

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

So with Christmas around the corner I set about removing the pop top and took on the task of refurb. I didn't get any shots of before but the front roof hinge fixings had collasped from moisture getting down into the timber blocks underneath which then in turn started to rot and the pressure from the bolts caused the fiberglass to sink causing bad cracking around the fixings on the top itself. The tent was totally bugger ripped mouldy grubby the whole lot so this had to go.

Here's a few pics of the restoration starting from where I had removed the top and rotten wood mounting blocks from the structure then I ground out and feathered out the damage see the big holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old wood mounting blocks and new ones I made slightly longer

[​IMG]

Picture from underside passenger side note big hole 1#

16. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

Big hole #2 drivers side. As you can see I've already cleaned out the old fiberglass bonding which was holding the old blocks in place one of the blocks was so rotten it had half fallen out and was just small fragments of rotten wood hence only three in my pic above

[​IMG]

Luckily my long rails were in good shape but most of the supports had cracked so needed to be reattached here's one that was still good

[​IMG]

And one I prepped

[​IMG]

How most of them were found cracked

[​IMG]

17. bay window bandit

bay window bandit Active Member

Thanks for that, It does help. How difficult was it to repair the fibreglass roof?

18. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

I found the repair quite simple and straight forward. I did watch a few videos on you tube to sharpen my knowledge up on fiberglassing and repaires etc. it's genrally about removing cracks totally and blending over large surface areas. I brought my stuff from whitworths and also asked for some advise from them about different products.

Here's a pic of one of the supports I repaired using matting and glue compound I'm not the tidiest but it's not ever seen

[​IMG]

Blocks in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

So then once the blocks were set in I could concentrate on the corners were in I flipped it over and trimmed out the extra spill over

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. MrBubbleHead

MrBubbleHead Member

A few more layers of glass

[​IMG]

Getting closer

[​IMG]

And finally all shaped up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]