1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 auto bay

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by dbs, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dbs

dbs Member

Well the time has come... the start of the story is here

and it continues here....
    converted the old washer bottle to electric with the original mechanical switch receiving a break down and reconfig as electric.
    reconected the horn and fixed the steering column so it doesn't go off when ever you turn the wheel.
    rebuilt the steering wheel.
    ripped the dash out for a respray...

I know, I know, no pictures... it didn't happen...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now I just have to get it back in again... might just tidy up a bit behind while have good access.
    ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Good to see another one getting a tidy up.... looking good so far, about to do the same with the wipers.......Would love to see pics or description of that switch mod.

Cheers, Chris

3. dbs

dbs Member

Sorry, didn't take photos... but you can read about it here

it's amazing how much difference cleaning up the wiper arms can make to the look of a vehicle... have fun.
    ;)

4. dbs

dbs Member

Dash is back in
    [​IMG]

Just needs a new stereo
    [​IMG]

Demistor trim,.. black, too samey... chrome, too bright... polished metal with clear coat, just a nice contrast...
    [​IMG]

5. dbs

dbs Member

and installed.... 2 pics to show how it picks up the colour of its surrounds and reflects it back (this was an overcast day, yes raindrops on the windscreen).

at an angle... reflecting the black of the dash
    [​IMG]

directly above... reflcting the poor light of the sky
    [​IMG]

I love how these came up.. I think the only thing better would be black chrome.
    ;)

6. dbs

dbs Member

While I was around the dash I was cleaning up some of the dodgy electrics (by cleaning I mean removing)... one item on the list was the demistor blowers... turn them on and there was a god awful grating noise! So nothing for it other than to remove the covers and see what lerked within.
    I now know why the windscreen was replaced with an Australian made tinted screen... yep you guessed it... the vents were full of smashed glass that poured out every where as soon as the covers were removed.
    A quick clean out... put it all back together and beautiful airflow with a fraction of the noise (sound like high powered ducted fans not screaming banshees)
    ;)

I wonder if that is why the left heater control won't work... to much broken glass down the centre tube? have to look at that next....

7. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Looking good, I was thinking of respraying my dash, previous owner resprayed it same as the car, think black looks more Dash like.....

8. dbs

dbs Member

Well worth it imho, Kombi dashes should always match the colour of the plastic bits attached (beetles should always match the colour of the car).

looks much better now compared to:
    [​IMG]

undoing the 5 nuts up underneath off the back of the soft leading edge was the hard bit.

just been playing with the heater to find broken glass is not the problem, rather a ceazed cable... the one that runs from the fulcrum at the base of the vertical heat riser to the cool air control half way underneath the kombi. given it a soak with crc sprayed down the tube... if it is no good in a couple of days then it's a new cable.
    :(

9. dbs

dbs Member

stripped the seats,... anyone for the terminator look... (I don't think the RTA will approve them like this :()
    [​IMG]

treated any surface rust spots on the cabin floor and gave all a coat of killrust
    [​IMG]

10. dbs

dbs Member

washed the matts thoroughly and a good coat of tyre black to give them a new lease of life
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. dbs

dbs Member

Removed bull bar and front bumper,... a little surface rust but otherwise rock solid :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

looking good! can't wait to see the end product :) Those seats ouchees! I think i will try what you have done with a can of black tyre spay,good idea :)

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

At least HP is good for something... :)

Looks neat it doesn't look that bad

14. teeveezed

teeveezed Member

Looking good! I have an auto 74 bay as well, and doing many of the things that you are doing and loving it!

15. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

I also own a 74 auto ( and I thought they were rare Ha! Ha!) those mats came up a treat they look like new. I agree with you that a dash should stay black, I think it looks much better.
    Keep the photos coming.

16. dbs

dbs Member

yeh,... not much good for anything else :p

it is very straight and very lacking in rust... which makes me very very happy... no full restoration required, just a clean up :D

more pics to come soon

17. dbs

dbs Member

so far one in Qld, one in WA and 1 in Vic. I still think they are pretty rare...
    ;)

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Does a 73 auto count? It has a fuel filler flap :) Then there is one in NSW

19. dbs

dbs Member

one each state,... I think that is fair. Welcome to the club

20. teeveezed

teeveezed Member

Of course! :)