1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 Bay of interest

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by GeorgiT2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Seeing where the bits came from when dissembling it yourself is def an advantage, unless the time between dissemble and reassembly drags out long enough for the memory to fade! It does happen! :eek:

Luckily, at the end of the 16 months of my SC project, I had another similar one here to look at, to refresh the memory. :rolleyes:

However, one of the many benefits of being a KC member, help is only a question away, from those other knowledgeable members.;)

tintop likes this.
  2. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Sam didn't come with a VW badge on the front...……..

Grantus likes this.
  3. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

And this KC resource is part of the reason I would attempt a project in this manner.

Grantus likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

hopefully the previous owner might of been kind to you and have all the parts labeled in bag,that would help you.

5. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Sheesh!
    thanks. An inventory of the parts or something along the lines you suggested is one of the things I’ll be checking tomorrow.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Nozza and Grant make a good point.
    ( even if grant is timepeice fobic he does tend to be on point. :rolleyes: :D)
    Unless you are pretty fluent with resto, and in particular familiar with kombis plus having a spare, reassembling a jigsaw puzzle is likely a very long term project.

To someone familiar with where everything fits the one in Qn represents a good option.
    Alternately, not knowing what is missing and a spare for comparison would be a major test.
    I have spent many years panrlbeating and still benifit from having something to check against at times.
    Hence numerous " garden ordaments".

Still worth the journey tho in my opinion as you may decide that it suits and maybe buy a $500 rustbucket for extraneous bits and mudmap.:eek:

Take lots of high res photos to remind yourself when trying to recall details .
    Also another set of informed eyes would be valuable to compare notes and play devils advocate/ sounding board.

David H likes this.
  7. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Tha
    thanks. Yes someone to look with would be a help, but the inspection has all come together at the last minute.

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work Chuck ;) be great for Paul to get your help :D

9. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

H
    Hey Chuck I’ll take you up on that. I’m on a train to Hornsby now at 0807. Sounds like I have to catch a bus from Hornsby to Warnervale due track works. So I guess 10 am or so arrival.

10. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

O
    oooh. I know where you can get a $10000 VW badge.

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Good man Chuck!
    Hope it all goes well....
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

.....as my 737 blasted up through the cloud layer enroute to my inspection my ears were ringing with tinITYS. “I Told You So”.
    Am I fuelled by courage or blissful ignorance of the task ahead? I think a mix of both. What I do have in my arsenal is space to work, time, a clear vision, an enthusiastic teenage daughter, charging through her hours to get her licence.
    I like poring through manuals and tech diagrams, and studying forums like this for information. Will it be enough? Don’t know.

David H likes this.
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Approach the project as a learning curve....... a steep learning curve !
    It will cost you more than your budget......that’s a given.
    Also, be aware that there are parts suppliers and Parts Suppliers...always ask here for assistance with anything you are not sure about.
    You will always get what you pay for......there is very little, if any ,cheap, quality product out there.
    Buy once, cry once.
    Exciting times !
    Chuck is well connected and can advise you accordingly
    Following with interest.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Thanks Mark. Good advice.

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It is also normal for most purchases to take and cost more than envisioned.
    Even buying a running bus under $30k.
    So even buying a runner is going to cost more.

Talk through the process of finishing plus a realistic estimate of budget with the guys.
    Both will be well placed to provide a lot of useful info and comparative pathways.

If you have good covered space to work and daughter is actually invested in the project both points helpful.

More work but a better result .

GeorgiT2 likes this.
  16. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Thankyou.

17. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Well i picked paul up from the train station 40mins away from my place an went to mathews place to check out the kombi.
    All small parts were in plastic bags an labelled, and all parts laid out on the lawn for viewing.
    The car body it self with the dipping of the shell (reciepts for over $5k showing this) shows everything up and the doors / panels were pretty damn good.
    Extra things that were with the the car were a stack of reciepts show work done going back to the 80,s.
    It comes with a fullwidth Kustom kombi rear rock an roll bed trimmed in blue fabric.
    Also the front 1/4vent flipper windows an a slimeline swagman poptop.
    The engine was a 2ltr an gearbox an cranked over with a spanner.
    The running gear looked like it was serviced an maintained with some new parts over time.
    So i dropped Paul back to the station to catch his ride back to sydney an a plane back home.
    Its a big project for some new to vws , if i was after a camper myself id take it.
    But it maybe too much for Paul an his family as we talked about it,
    so well have to wait an see.
    Cheers chuck

Grantus, cbus, oldman and 3 others like this.
  18. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

My inspection of a dismantled ‘77 Bay on the Central Coast yesterday was very productive and interesting. I assessed it as a pretty honest sale package at a reasonable price for the amount of work that’s already been done with few opportunities for hidden costs to appear from behind paint or filler. I apologise if I already said this, thought I posted already but now I can’t find where I wrote it. Sheesh. Doh.
    Anyway.
    Nothing like a dismantled bus with all parts in a multitude of boxes on the lawn and an engine on a pallet to learn how they’re built. This is a project I feel I could do. But here’s the thing; There’s no escaping the underlying fact spending 30 grand on a car is not viable for us right now or in the next two years. That’s not to say I don’t think it would be worth it, it would. There’s no relativity compared to buying a new car, but the value of owning and living with a Kombi exceeds the sum of its parts, I expect.
    I appreciate the benefit of this forum. Despite being prepared to do a lot of the labour myself, the cost of acquiring a reliable functional Kombi seems about double what I expected, to do it properly. That’s without going to ‘show car’ standard. I’m going to keep learning about them and reassess things when my daughter finishes school next year.

oldman likes this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I would agree.
    Sounds like very good value for someone with time and cash to finish but would be very hard to do at 30k
    Often people keep wanting it with all the fruit ( professional trimming, new motor, straight paint, full soundproofing, new canvas, dual batteries, so expect nearer 60k total.
    Also keep in mind that buying a 15 k on road bus is going to add up in a similar fashion.
    A 30k bus for first car is a biggie from my perspective.
    ( both my kids may have had kombis early in the piece but they weren't perfect and prices were much lower then).

I'm guessing a t3 doesn't have the appeal.
    It is a very good option even if not the visual recognition but that is changing.
    Good ,ready to roll examples avail at $15k

oldman likes this.
  20. tintop

tintop Active Member

Hi...you wrote it in a PM to me. Patrick