1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 Crewcab

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by slobus, May 2, 2010.

1. slobus

slobus Member

I found a 74 crewcab nealy a year ago, some work had been started but still a lot to do. Looks like the tray had been leaking into the rear, the floor under the tray was pretty rusty, including the rear seat and base. Sandblasted underneath to see what else might have been lurking...but only what I expected (whew!). No motor, but the previous owner had a 2 litre efi that he threw in with the deal...not much could be salvaged, nuts and broken threads dropped out when I removed the rocker covers. The case was beyond saving, reground the crank, but not much else salvagable. Am slowly getting the motor components together and hope to have it built by the end of the year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After blasting and removal of fuel tank
    [​IMG]
    Floor removed (long and painful process!!!)
    [​IMG]
    New floor ready to trim and fit

2. slobus

slobus Member

Cutting out the floor seemed pretty easy at the time...now I see why professionals charge so much for this type of thing! Every spot weld had to be drilled, mostly twice but some three times (when I could find them through the rust!). The new panels are from Roy (thanks) and are to fit a left hand drive transporter. The Crewcab floor has a few little differences that I've had to cut around and will have to manufacture some flooring sections to cover these.
    [​IMG]
    new floor in place, not welded yet
    [​IMG]
    the fuel tank was a bit of a mess, after a clean up found some small pin holes that need repairing. Also need to fit a return line for the efi. Notice the T section...held together with masking tape!
    [​IMG]
    2 litre donk...efi gear is ok, most of the tin ware is salvagable, don't think I can do anything with the extractors!
    [​IMG]
    Old and new gates...wasn't worth even trying to salvage the old ones.

3. slobus

slobus Member

Found a new rebuilt gearbox. Got a bit bored so thought I would tidy it up a bit. Ended up hand polishing the ribs and painting the rest.
    [​IMG]
    Before I started cleaning
    [​IMG]
    Thought it polished up alright!
    [​IMG]
    Progress is pretty slow as I only get about a day a month to spend on it. Hope to get the floor fixed in this week then back to the sandblasters for the exterior.

4. bradster

bradster New Member

crewcab

Hey mate, like the detailed gearbox!!, looks like this is going to be one very nice dc when its done, had a single cab few years ago and had a nightmare finding the drop gates, the gates i eventually got where far worse than your old ones, i reckon theres a buyer out there for them!!:cool:

Poptop likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Doing a great job and like the polished ribs :D

6. max auto

max auto Member

Great to see another DC resto.. where did u get the new gates from ?? and how much?
    looks like you are going to a great job going to all that detail... looks like i got to step mine up a bit !!

7. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Great job, where a bouts in Tassie are you? That DC looks familiar, seen it somewhere before... Mmmmm dunno.

8. StevieVW

Would you be able to elaborate a bit more here, I've got some DC floors to do and would be interested to know a bit more. What are you doing with your old gates? I've got a set that look a whole lot worse than those.

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Love the Gbox. Need a see thru floor so all can appreciate!

10. EvanNaarah

EvanNaarah Member

Great work. The DC crew is growing fast, we might need our own section/tab soon.......

11. shaven

shaven Active Member

hoohum another DC... just lovem. looking gr8.

12. slobus

slobus Member

Hi and thanks for the comments, yeah...I got a bit carried away with the gearbox, kinda couldn't stop after I started, took a long time to do it by hand! (not sure I'd do it again!!!). StevieVW, the history of the ute...PO was from Ulverstone, found an old registration slip from several years before when registered in Burnie. Spoke with a mechanic from the Tamar who knew the ute, said it had gone 'feral' for a while, then lost track of it.

Max auto, I got the gates from Split Parts (Elton) www.splitparts.com.au and are manufactured by Klassic Fab (klassicfab.com), price depends a bit on currency rates. Your ute looks great, mine was orange originally but with a bit of a mustard type undertone, want something a bit brighter but thats still a long way off.

I've attached a pic of the floor and circled (with a very shakey mouse) the areas that need to be trimmed. Just inside the rear door and directly opposite are two raised areas of floor that curve and sweep back to the sides. I've trimmed the new floor to slip in under this raised section and will cut a panel to weld on top, still in the process of doing this so will post a pic when finished. The replacement floor panel also has a seat base section for a microbus (which won't be seen under the rear seat) and had to trim around the partition between the underseat area and the fuel tank (circled in the pic).
    [​IMG]
    I also had to cut a strip between the rear wheel arches and might have to cut some extra metal to fit it all together
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and I'm located in the Midlands...but seem to be spending more and more time on the north west... seems to be a lot more VW action happening up that way! And the gates, haven't really thought about what to do with them yet, will keep you posted.

13. car_freak_tim with kombi

car_freak_tim with kombi New Member

How bad are the gates?

14. slobus

slobus Member

I'll try and get some photos of the old gates up but probably won't be until next weekend.

15. pyoties bro

pyoties bro Member

great resto thread! kee up the good work, its looking nice!

16. StevieVW

Cool, where abouts on the NW I'm in Somerset when I'm home.

17. slobus

slobus Member

I'm working on the ute in Penguin but we're regularly travelling between the Midlands, Devonport, Sheffield...we wonder why we're here in the middle of Tassie sometimes...oh yeah...work! No work=no pay=no progress!

18. StevieVW

Work's one of those necessary evils....

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Thats why I gave it up! Not going to be told what to do!

20. slobus

slobus Member

Little bit more work completed, have cut some floor section ready for welding and manufactured a small plate to go into the door frame where some rust was cut out. Have attached some photos of the old gates
    [​IMG]
    new metal to be welded
    [​IMG]
    old gates
    [​IMG]
    tailgate (probably the best out of the three!)
    [​IMG]
    bit bent and twisted