1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 Microbus Deluxe - Daisy!

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by BargeArse, Nov 27, 2007.

1. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Everyone, meet Daisy!

She's a '74 1.8ltr auto Micro Deluxe that I purchased from the nicest couple Allison and Justin in Melbourne, and then drove back up to Brissy. I tell you what, there's nothing like three days of 'bonding' to get to know your bus! And I think she's learnt a little about me now too...

I do have to give the biggest shout out to Marty and Woz for their never ending help and support. Seriously, without these guys' help, the trip and general whole experience wouldn't have been as smooth and easy as it was. So for that, I thank you both. (Woz, I think your Kombi Karma account has been topped up a bit over the past week!)

I found Daisy on carsales and posted a thread seeing if anyone could go and check her out on my behalf - to which both Marty and Woz replied. And apparently made a day of it too! They then PMed me her condition details and pics, based on which I decided to purchase her.

The trip back home was great. I finally got out of Melbourne (after catching up with Marty, Woz & Alice and Peter & his boys at their buses' video shoot) about 6pm on the Saturday evening. I figured it was better to get out of Melbourne while I still had light! I did initally have to adjust to driving at 80-90km/h, but once used to that (and not worrying that "there's someone catching you up"!) it was a breeze. The only hiccup along the way was a potential blow-out near Shepparton. There was a retread on the back right that got a little wobbly. So that marked my first night's sleep for the trip. Thankfully the Bridgestone dealer there does a Sunday call-out, so I was back on the road the next morning.

Over the next two days I didn't have a drama, and was happily home by 4pm on Monday afternoon. I'd say she's caught a bit of a cold along the way, 'cause when she's warm she's a bit cranky when idling. I'm guessing it's just a tune thing, 'cause the nice grey looking exhaust would indicate that she's still running healthily.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings! Here were a few of the pics that Marty took when they went and checked Daisy out (which means, I can't take credit for them!). Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Julian.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

Congrats Julian, she looks a beauty. Well done to 'the boyz' for helping you out. Interestingly I have the back set up the same with the middle seat in, the back seat out, and the plywood sheet behind it. It makes for the biggest wagon payload in the world. Luckily I'm only short because it's a tight fit head to toe even when sleeping diagonally.

Nice curtains too.

3. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Oh, and here's a few that I snapped on the way home. Unfortunately I kinda forgot about my camera for the most part, but here you go.

Here's what Daisy looks like first thing in the morning - this was just before 7am on the Sunday morning. My first night in the bus.
    [​IMG]

And here's poor ol' Daisy waiting for the Bridgestone guy to come and open up for us.
    [​IMG]

I took this shot outside the pub in a small town called Tallygaroopna just north of Shepparton. It's where my Mum and her parents first lived when they migrated out from England in the 50's.
    [​IMG]

And finally safely back home in Brisvegas (and no that thing on the road beside Daisy isn't from her... thankfully! I only just noticed that).
    [​IMG]

4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Thanks Vanders. For the most part I just did the diagonal thing while sleeping... although I got wise on the last night and just popped the folding part of the seat backrest forward, and that's where my feet went. Problem solvered! And yeah, with that arrangement I'm thinking the drumkit will fit nicely in the back and still have plenty of room for people.

The curtains are lovely, aren't they? It's funny though - as much as they're daggy, I don't mind them at all.

5. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Nice bus mate, what a great way to get to know your new toy.

Enjoy yourself, theres nothing like owning a Kombi!

6. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hey julian ...well done mate,Daisy's a beauty.She seems to have a lot of character about her already,is that a bicycle horn on your drivers side rearview mirror?

7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Julian - she's a beauty. Look forward to seeing her in the flesh one day.

Don't think I'm stalking you, but I know where you live. Right near the best bakery in Brisbane! :) There's a red Microbus down near your place, isn't there? Is it yours or someone that you know?

See ya,
    Kyra

8. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

What a bargain BargeArse, a new bus and road trip in one hit. Make the most of it mate, see you at a nearby do. Dean

9. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Kombirod - there is nothing like it. I'm still grinning thinking about the trip back.

Indigo - yep, that certainly is! It doesn't work 'cause the plastic's all perished from the sun. It's been on there for a few owners now, so I think I'll keep it there for a little longer. All adds to the character that is Daisy. And she's got plenty of that!

Kyra - it's a pretty kickarse bakery, hey? I was kinda cheeky in posting that last pic 'cause you can see the bakery in the background... either that or you've noticed her parked in the front yard over the past day. The red beastie down the road is a little worse for wear. I had a bit of a squiz at it once while walking past. More bog than you can poke a stick at, unfortunately. I don't know the owners of that bus (or is that the people that the bus owns? I always get that wrong!). But my housemates have stopped a few times and chatted to them about their dogs - they've got a black lab and a golden retreiver.

Dean - and a constant grin as a consequence too! Was the best experience. Which only means more to come.

10. heartland

heartland New Member

What a great adventure - driving home in your very own Kombi - and what a nice looking Kombi she is too - I really like the orange ones!

That smile on your face will never go - mine still hasn't.

P.S. I love your username - who didn't love BargeArse!

11. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Oh yeah. :D They do the best lamingtons ever, and I don't even like lamingtons! Pies are good too. Yeah, the red one needs a bit of TLC, but I'm sure the owners still love it immensely. There's nothing wrong with a bit of bog, either - it's the newspaper you need to look out for. (This attempt at a joke has possibly gone WAY over your head, but there was a bit of a kerfuffle on here earlier this year about a resto that had quite a bit of newspaper in it).

Sorry for hijacking your thread completely. :)

12. Ray

Ray Member

Looks like a good find. Also nice to see another orange bus coming to the sunshine state.

Will most likely see you on the road or at a meet etc.

Congrats

Ray

13. kombiluv

kombiluv New Member

nice!

sexxiiii! xoxox

14. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Jane - thank-you. Only problem is I want to drive her around all the time at the moment, but a combination of her needing a big tune-up/service after her long trip + having to get all the stuff done for the roadworthy to transfer the rego means she's sitting put for the moment. Thankfully I'm going to see a local VW mechanic on Monday so she'll be back on the road in no time and that'll keep the grin going. Oh and I was a HUGE fan of the D-Gen when they were about, plus it was my nickname at school, so hence my username choice.

Kyra - I just re-read what I posted - I probably should've re-worded what I said about the red bus, 'cause it kinda came across a little harsh, didn't it? I totally didn't mean it that way. And you're right, it probably is loved immensely. And newspaper as a form of a restoration technique?? Oh dear! That'd be a lovely moisture trapper...

Ray - Thanks mate. Yeah, you'll no doubt catch me around. I plan on getting in amongst the thick of things once Daisy's all rego'ed up and out & about.

kombiluv - thanks so much. I'll pass that on to her. You ever seen an orange bus blush before...

15. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Julian, don't be silly - you're a delight, and I didn't mean to make you feel bad about it in ANY way! :D

16. kaptv8

kaptv8 New Member

Great trip isnt it!

I have just done the very same thing as you but in reverse (yes we do go forward as well! :) ). I saw my kombi for sale here on KC but it was in Qld and i too had some KC members check it out and i too purchased sight unseen!

I drove back from Qld to Mel and arrived exhausted.

Good luck with your new purchase. Smile and kombi wave to all!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well done Julian - hope to catch you at one of the meets :)

18. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

kaptv8 - I was an awesome trip! I was kinda glad to be home at the end of it though. Was pretty much longing for a nice hot shower and a good sleep. I can't wait for my next adventure though. Oh, and yours would have been an easier trip - seeing as you were going south, it technically should have been all downhill... :p

KuhunaKombi - thank-you thank-you. I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone at a meet soon too.

Which brings me to a quick Daisy update - I dropped her off to a local mechanic (on Kyra's advice - thanks a million! :) ) to have everything checked over in readiness for her roadworthy and subsequent becoming a QLDer. Hopefully there's nothing too horrible that's going to be found. But I guess we'll see.

Julian.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  19. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Guess who's now a QLDer...

Armed with my freshly acquired safety certificate, I yesterday paid a visit to the lovely people at the Queensland Department of Transport. This was the result:

[​IMG]

Phew!

It's a big sigh of relief to know that 'legally' she's all roadworthy and registered now. One less thing to have to worry about. Which now means I can get on with driving Miss Daisy around.

Right!! When's there something on next???

20. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Good to see you got her out there J. i got to see her the other night, cruising past in a taxi with a slightly drunk Kyra pointing her out to me and Bec. Cheers.
    i think the next thing is the yatala drive in night on the 12th Jan, better get that bed set up.