1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

75 Auto Camper

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by jtkombi, May 27, 2015.

1. JoshG

JoshG Active Member

Looking very nice

2. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Geez time flies, doesn't it. A quick update on the progress.
    We've had a few hold ups over the last couple of months. There was a delay in getting the fabric we chose, which pushed out our Christmas deadline out til well after then. Holidays saw us preoccupied until the end of Jan. The panel beater picked up the kombi to do the trip from Melbourne to Geelong, used a tarp to cover it to protect the new headlining as the windows weren't in and some of the eyelets on the tarp chipped the paint in the back. So the back got a respray. It's now back at mechanics getting checked over because she was running rough and had a fuel smell, I think leaking a bit from the carby and making sure that everything was fitted back as it should be. We should have her back in a couple of days. Ended up needing that tilt tray again :oops::mad: I jinxed myself.

3. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Whilst she was home I had a chance to get some stuff cleaned up

40 years of dust gone ready for Dynamat
    20180308_181729.jpg

Seat bases cleaned up and dynamated. Also cut up some black foam that we had laying around and lined the inside part of the seat base to stop some more of the rattles from the gear we store in there.
    20180311_140937.jpg 20180311_150225.jpg

4. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Picked up the seats from Dave at Volkstrim. Extremely impressed with his work and love how the colours we chose came out :):) He is a true craftsman

20180301_183417.jpg

20180301_183354.jpg

20180301_183501.jpg

20180301_183532.jpg

Syncro27, JoshG, OSF and 4 others like this.
  5. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

And with the front seats fitted. The seats had been recovered at some stage earlier in its life and been stuffed with a foam padding. It made long trips uncomfortable. We've had coconut pads installed like they would have been originally.

20180314_135726.jpg

20180314_135817.jpg

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The seats do really look nice and suit the car and colour well.They complement each other well.

jtkombi and OSF like this.
  7. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Nice

jtkombi likes this.
  8. JoshG

JoshG Active Member

Seats look great. Nice colour and material choice

jtkombi likes this.
  9. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Thanks for the positive comments. We agonised over different fabrics for ages and are really happy with the outcome.
    The door cards are getting picked up today too. I've seen photos and they are looking good too.

David H and JoshG like this.
  10. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Question for the gurus.

In the process of cleaning up I noticed these wires, yellow and black ones (not the white in background). It's been like this since I've had the kombi and completely forgot about it being hidden under the carpet. They come up from underneath the gear selector. Being an 003 auto I'm wondering if these wires are meant to run to a kick down switch? We've never had one in it. Changes gears fine when cruising around town and highway but when we cruised Tassie last year I had to manually downshift to get up some of the hills. I'm assuming this is the reason why and can I get a replacement (a quick google says no) or ok to leave as is?

20180314_171216.jpg 20180314_171144.jpg

11. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

What started as a couple of days ending up being months. I must admit that it was really testing my patience and I needed to have a break from the resto for a bit but happily, I'm back in love again.
    It turns out that the panel beaters inhouse mechanic was not very good, to be polite. A lot of the way it was put back together was less than ideal. Engine issues, missing bolts, loose bolts, dash wiring was a shambles with random electrics not working, broken speedo needle and other suspect things.

I got it back to the my mechanic and he confirmed that it was running on 2 cylinders, carby was leaking (we suspect that it wasn't the one he rebuilt a couple of years ago :mad:), engine leaking copious amounts of oil from the rocker covers, the coupling on the steering not connected properly that had the potential to come apart whilst driving etc. Days turned into weeks, then months as it would be given the go over, again and again, testing and finding any issues. Throw in a couple of electrical gremlins that were draining the battery constantly, a long overdue honeymoon on our 1oth wedding anniversary and the mechanics injury that put him out of action for a bit, we finally got her back about 3 weeks ago.

Whilst it was in getting the going over, we replaced the fuel pump for an electric one as the old one was starting to weep. We also put in electronic ignition while we were at it. The wires pictured above are for the kickdown switch that we've never had since owing it and couldn't track down a replacement. Our mechanic added a set up somehow so that it'll kickdown when under load, no longer having to manually shift down :).

Super happy that it's all coming back together now with all the dramas being sorted out. Summers approaching and we can't wait to get her out and about

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  12. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

I installed the weather membrane in the doors before putting on the door cards.

20181005_140133.jpg

and with the new door cards in.

20181005_152004.jpg

20181005_152027.jpg

Wayne murray, OSF and David H like this.
  13. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

On a side note, I thought I'd take a photo of the inside of the door as well. I was happy with how little rust was in there, especially when I've seen how bad some door bottoms can rust out. I've sprayed just about every nook and cranny that I could get into on the bus with lanolin to hold off the rust for hopefully another 40 years. After that, it'll be the kids problem :)

20180922_130052.jpg

David H likes this.
  14. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

The dash got a good clean up as well, removing as much dust and dirt as possible from all the plastics. Pic of the difference in the plastics after a clean and a dash of Meguiars

20180314_165601.jpg

Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.
  15. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

jt kombi. good to hear that your passion is up and running again. :)That things are moving in the right direction. I'm amazed how painters can loose and brake things that ,especially the speedo needle, to brake it ,it needs to be taken out:eek::confused: .I'm amazed at the bottom of them doors,I could eat my dinner out of there. Nice work keep the updates coming:D

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Kick down switch wires but the pedals are hard to get. It is just a micro switch that operates when you push the pedal to the floor. You could do the same with a micro switch on the dash that you press when pedal is fully pressed and the engine is loaded.
    [​IMG]

17. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Surely this is just a contact thing;). Anyone could make that contact & braise/solder to an after market pedal the contacts?
    I want one of those lugs on my manual pedal to make it go faster:):p. Kick down to turbo:D.
    I'm more interested about the spring:oops: at the mid point of the pedal??? Is there a resistance coming from another position?
    Cheers

18. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Thanks Wayne. I was happy with door internals, I think it speaks volumes of how well it's been cared for in the past. As far as the broken needle, it's a strange one that. We're not sure why, my mechanic has never seen it happen before. However, we've sourced a replacement at no charge and it's been so cleaned that it looks brand new. Looks like the other gauges will need a good clean now too o_O.

thanks for the pic Kai, it looks like a fairly basic setup. Our mechanic added something to the carby that does the same thing now. I'll post up a pic later when I get home.

19. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Kick down to turbo. That'd be fun :D... in a straight line. For some reason I now have the image of a kombi being an overweight Porsche 930 :p:p

20. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

I've become aware of my OCD on the small details since starting this resto. It's little things like reusing these finishing trims that you don't necessary take notice of like these that make me smile :). They may be discoloured and old but they are a part of it's history that I want to preserve. I actually bought new sunvisors too, but swapped them back to the old ones as they cleaned up pretty well, although one has a small tear on it's edge, I wanted to preserve them. Hit me up if you want buy the new ones.

20181005_152121.jpg 20181005_152132.jpg