1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

75 Kombi 2.0 Engine revving high as it heats up.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Xombi75, May 12, 2022.

1. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

All looks nice and clean. You are on the Kombi learning curve!
    If I was keeping the sway bar I would be modifying the shocker mounting to give more ground clearance. Or never leave the black roads?

Xombi75 and oldman like this.
  2. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the theory is that the sway bar mount is so close to the shock absorber that ground clearance is not likely to be a problem?
    Half way down this thread on Samba, kevineo shows how he flipped the mounting bracket.
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431999&postdays=0&postorder=desc&start=0
    PR

Xombi75 likes this.
  3. Xombi75

Xombi75 Member

what's the highest kms you guys have even seen on a kombi engine?
    Yeah it's a nice bus.

A spot of rust on passenger door, about a ring-finger nail in size. a smaller spot under the driver rear tail light ... but a bit of cracking and the start of bubbles above each vent, under the sills.

Might have to sand it all back, strip it back, weld in new plates and re-spray it within the next 6-12 mths.

Hopefully sort out these carbs and i got a good bus for the next decade or two!

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

sway bar mount.jpg

If the 2 cup washers and 1 of the red buffers is removed and a shorter bolt used the ground clearance at the centre would be ingreased {providing the bar does not bounce on anything!). Maybe just give it the flick? Not standard and mine has survived without it.

KahunaKombi and Xombi75 like this.
  5. Xombi75

Xombi75 Member

The update:

Took to Mark @ Veedub parts in mermaid.

The timing was so far advanced he was surprised i didn't cook the engine. And the grub screw was fine on the hex bar, it was the holding nut the keeps it from sliding into the carb. that had given way.

A quick air/fuel mixture tweak, idle tweak and she's running excellently.

Got the rwc late this arvy and Jenny will be on the streets early monday morning.

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That’s great news!
    Nice to get it set up properly so you have a base line from which you can judge ….
    Cheers,
    Mark

Xombi75 and Barry like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

As said, nice base line to work with.

Happy cruising

Xombi75 likes this.
  8. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Great news! It's nice when the problem can be found quickly :)

Xombi75 likes this.
  9. Xombi75

Xombi75 Member

Cheers folks!

I'm stoked on the outcome! She drives like a dream.

I do have to get rid of the cheap chinese carbs and upgrade. i'll do that over the next 5000km before next service. I'm thinking about gutting the insides keeping what i can and then sending her off to have the sills stripped and new ones welded on, before those little bubbles turn into full blown rust.

Then at that point, dare i say, she's finished. should be good a solid decade plus of driving & enjoying!

Mordred and oldman like this.