1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

75 Panel Van - Little Debbie

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by BargeArse, Apr 18, 2009.

1. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

For those that haven't seen her, I would like to introduce you all to Mel and my 1975 Type 21 (Panel Van), Little Debbie.

[​IMG]

I was originally introduced to Little Debbie (also often referred to at the time as Race Bus) while she was the travelling companion of a young American couple, Will and Sheila (who are on here occasionally as Bonzayanks).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys had met Jules (Kombigal) and her unique Kombi GAV while travelling up in North QLD during the middle of last year. They happened to be down in South East QLD around the time that we held the September '08 edition of Camp Keen, to which Jules invited them along to meet some more of the KC Gang. This was when we all had a chance to "oooh" and "ahhhh" over this very original Panel. At the time Lorraine and I had joked over who was going to be Little Debbie's new owner after Will & Sheila were due to head back to The States.

To quote Brett (The Brewmaster), along with one of his photos taken at Australia Zoo for Steve Irwin Day '08:
    [​IMG]

So for a few months, Little Debbie made a few cameo appearances at KC events before these "Bonza Yanks" had to return to The States in Feb '09. During the December prior, Will had contacted me letting me know that he was going to start putting feelers out to sell the van. Knowing that I was a big fan of her, he gave Mel and I first dibs. I decided,
    "What the hey, it's only money!" and after annoying both of our respective financial institutions, we were able to come up with the necessary funds in order to purchase this little gem. The rest, as they say, is history...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

3. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

where did you bury the body,s bargass???:wtf:

4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

5. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

A little place I call "Bangalow State Forest"...

6. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here she is sporting her latest addition - A Kombi Club sticker:
    [​IMG]

So I hope you like her folks. The poor little bugger is as ratty as, but she is so full of character that we have decided to leave her as she is for the time being.

Julian.

7. 4inabus

4inabus Active Member

The carpet and fairy lights are a nice touch.. just need some feathers ;)

Nice score though. :)

8. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Nice placement of the fire extinguisher Mr Ease.
    Is that in case things get a bit hot around the bedding area? ;)

9. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Little Debbie couldn't have gone to a better home and I am really happy that you and Melly are the new owners as I know you love her heaps, she certainly seems to run well even :heart:
    She gets to grace my front yard again soon with her new owners this time.
    Enjoy her.:)

10. billyjack

billyjack Member

From one little Debbie to another - nice van! not a bad name either!! hehehe :)

11. Melly

Melly Member

Thanks heaps, she is our baby ahhh :eek:
    And we were totally amazed at how many comments we got about Little Debbie - everyone loves her

Hahaha yes I been meaning to get onto that. As soon as I seen the photo I thought to myself.... hmm someone is bound to say something lol

12. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

What??? The bedding area just happens to be over the rear of the vehicle. The rear of the vehicle is where the engine (and potential fire hazard) happens to be, so it's only fitting that the extinguisher lives there... ;)

Say no more! :p

13. gsa2at

gsa2at New Member

looking good jules and mel
    you do know i own this bus in the FB wedding prenups :lol:

got one thing to say - drop it low and embrace the rat !!

14. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Would look a sweet rat!

15. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

You know what, guys? The rat idea is really starting to grow on me. Especially after seeing a fine example or two at Bonny Hills over the weekend.

So, there are a couple of things to do - 1) get her dumped... or at least lowered, 'cause I don't want her to be too impractical. Especially as she's our camping van. And; 2) figure out what wheels would look good in the equation - the ones that are on there now, or someting different? Stockies? Dunno. So many options!

In saying all that though, for the time being I'm just more than happy to have a Kombi I can jump in and drive!

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Def keep the rims!

There's something almost classic about those white "wagon wheels", (as they were sold as in the late seventies).

They were the fore runners, to all the alloys and mags you see today! :)

17. Kombigal

Kombigal Member

I am happy to be part of this love story. ;) It was Mrs Chopper and I that met Wil and Sheila and Wil (mechanic) helped Mrs Chopper (Rosie) get Joni started on a cold morning and ended up travelling up from Rocky to Mackay with us. It was a nice little convoy and Little Debbie got her name at Carmilla Beach when we were all sitting around the camp fire. She was unnamed at that stage and we pressured Wil and Sheila to come up with a name before we parted company. The next morning we christened Little Debbie.

I ended up running into them about 4 seperate times one of which was in Cairns and Wil fixed my handbrake for me. Nice couple and I think we may see them again one day but they have buckleys of getting Little Debbie back.

Couldn't have gone to nicer people.

Cheers,
    Jules

18. Kate

Kate Member

Little Debbie is hot as.....you have to keep the wheels! It makes her go faster without a doubt!

19. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Was on here yesterday admiring Little Debbie, and my PC froze and crashed, so I couldn't leave a comment.

Love Little Debbie. She sure looks roomier without all of the boards and stuff Wil and Sheila had in there - I think you could have fitted at least 2 of my kids in there with you over the Easter Break. I'm sure the fire extinguisher wouldn't have been needed in that case! ;)

Oh, and go the complete Rat. She'd LOVE it.

20. Melly

Melly Member

Doesn't a prenup require two signatures?:p
    I said to Julian 'in that case I get Jack' (meaning the beetle) but he said could work against me... as in jack all/nothing... hehe didn't think that one through before speaking.