1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Bay Indicator woes

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by friz, Jul 24, 2019.

1. friz

friz Member

Dear All, after replacing rear indicator assemblies with new ones I have had an issue which has led to more issues. The original metal insert on the rear indicator bulb housing had 2 x spade connectors on seperate sides of the lamp housing. A good idea I have learnt as the new ones have the spade connectors on the same side. So it seems the two spade connectors came into contact with each other at some point and blew the indicator relay + fuses (Now fixed with some heat shrink for insulation). It took two burnt relays to find this out and several fuses. My dilemma is I have now replaced the Electronic flasher indicator relay with a new Narva P/No 68238BL see https://www.autobarn.com.au/narva-flasher-electronic-12v-3-pin-68238bl. From my research these should be compitable as appear to have same pin outs as the one I took out which was a "Kracker Blinkgeber 20.0900.10" see https://www.conrad.com/p/kracker-20090010-automotive-relay-12-vdc-20-a-1-maker-504045 ?. I have ordered another relay from a reputable VW supplier but it does not arrive for a few days. My blinkers and hazards don't work with the Narva installed Symptom is I get the green lamp on solid on my dash but no blinkers when I activate them from the stalk or hazard switch. Is there an issue that anyone knows of with the Narva Electronic flasher or have I perhaps blown some wiring in the process of locating my original issue of the spade connectors shorting out? Many thanks for any info.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Something doesn't sound right. I have used the Narva flasher as a replacement for an old failed relay and it just worked. Loose or bad earths are a cause for no flashing (low voltage meaning low current through the relay) and you will want to check all of them including the ones in the front and rear and under the dash about the middle of the front panel.

You might have done some damage to the Emergency switch. That is a very complex beasty with a lot of connections on it and it is integral to the indicator circuit. I would eliminate the earths first.

Adrian

friz likes this.
  3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Some relays need 6 globes to make them tick over

friz, KahunaKombi and oldman like this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

As above......go through and check all the bulbs....one dead one will affect the flash interval....
    Cheers,
    Mark

friz and KahunaKombi like this.
  5. friz

friz Member

Hey Guys many thanks for the tips. My issue was eventually fixed. I found the front PS blinker was connected wrong i.e. Positive lead to earth. Blame the apprentice. This was enough to blow my relay eventually but not enough to blow the fuse. I am guessing the short was only momentarily there as the relay(before it blew) would put power to the blinker then off again. Again Thanks for the support problem solved,

Mordred, cbus, oldman and 3 others like this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

What size fuse ?
    Can't recall without checking but most are 8 amp.

friz likes this.
  7. friz

friz Member

I think it was a yellow one. Lol. 8 amp ?

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Tricks them every time :cool:

friz likes this.