1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Brakes

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Jon Baldwin, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Jon Baldwin

Jon Baldwin Active Member

I take it there are 2 brands of calipers and 2 brands of rear drums/shoes? T2 76

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Maybe different calliper brands but rears same as far as I'm aware.
    Size wise no change since about 73?
    Think ATE rear cylinders are the preferred pick.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Two original brands that VW used on kombis are ATE and Girling, for calipers. Most kombis in Australia where given ATE and only heard of the other brand, never seen one of the other brand. Not sure what you wanting to know for replacement parts or refurbish original items?
    For calipers if it was me I would refurbish old original ATE calipers. Buy new seal kit, FTE brand is available ,ATE parts are hard to get and cost a bomb. Clean the calipers completely ,check for corrosion on the piston and the groove that the seal sits in on the calipers. Make sure all passageways are clear.
    There is also different calipers during the years, they are only 71-72 only, Just be aware if ordering parts!
    Rear brakes again ATE is dominant brand used, not sure if there was another brand. In replacement parts there are several brands available, ATE is the pick except again hard to get and costs.
    wheel cylinders there is also Varga (Brazilian brand)which might know be called TRW There is a (Danish brand)can't remember , There are other brands with different cost.
    Wheel cylinder piston is 23mm
    Drums there is Zimmerman. Not sure other brands.
    Rear Brake shoes not sure what brands, I normally get mine relined at a brake place. You keep your original shoes. Unless yours are bugged beyond reusing.

David H and cbus like this.