1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Sopru 'Old Boy'

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by David H, Dec 12, 2017.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Must be one of those angular T3's ( which I like) guys:p. Around here it's all about the T2 curves;):D.
    And I agree... each to their own.;)
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. David H

Gone camping. May the weather gods be kind:p:D.
    Cheers

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Won't matter - you'll still be feeling it :eek:

David H likes this.
  4. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Heard that somewhere before

Haha

5. David H

Hi Groovers,
    Does it get any better than this. Swimming hole at Bretti 50 metres away. IMG_0252.jpg2.jpg
    New awning performed perfectly. Got hit by 20 knot gusts, thunderstorm, very heavy rain & the magnets stayed attached:cool: (Lauren retreated inside, I stayed out to monitor the awnings first test!).
    IMG_0237.jpg2.jpg
    And the obligatory campfire;)
    IMG_0256.jpg2.jpg
    Took 15 minutes to put up & 10 minutes to pack up:D. My style of camping:).
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM
    Syncro27, OSF, chris taylor and 2 others like this.
  6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Nice ensuite! Can I suggest some of those rubber mats that join together to put at the sliding door? They have holes in them to trap the leaves etc before climbing into the kombi. Cheap from Kmart - even Bunnings probably have them ;)

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  7. chris taylor

Hi Dave .
    Just curios , is the awning attached permanently to underside of the canopy or is it removable.
    checked your previous pics and can see how you have done things but cant work out the fitting bit.how have you attached the metal bar is it glued somehow.
    when i had mine like that the caravan place gave me {sold } the special fittings but to attach them correctly one has to glue a back plate on the inside then attach the outside slide section with glue and pop rivets.The canvas edge had a 1/4 inch rope sown into it and that just slid along in the channel of the outer piece. worked well except it had to be removed , folded, bagged,then stored away inside the van till the next time ,Bit of a pain ...in the ,,,,,well you know what i mean.
    dont think the Gods were listening mate....o_O

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 9:06 AM
  8. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Love this Dave, looks like a great camp spot, and a fire, they're almost as rare as Kombis these days!!

David H likes this.
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I’m sure that “check in” and “check out” at the Meridian at Old Bar, took you way less time....:rolleyes:

10. David H

Sika Chris (is what the metal strip is attached with & it remains permanently) & was given confidence in it's security by Cbus' belief in the product & he's right ( I would never have attached this way without his information. Old school me:( needs a bolt & nut with washers. Side of poptop flexed lots...hinges retained position...was surprised at the amount of energy put into the side flex of the pop top but all good:D) Thanks Cbus for transferring your confidence in the product to get me to give it a try...bloody works Kiwi!!
    & the rest is just those fancy magnets Chris:D (google rare earth magnets 40x15x8 & see what they do:p) . Removable in no time. (Just drew away to one side from the magnets to slide them off. It's about where the force is applied:p). Fold up store under rear seat. Best kit comes from those who've done 76 Sopru camping for 39 yrs;)
    Held by sika.jpg
    I love getting new ideas from here & providing them.
    Love my upturned seat bench as it's at the right height & the collective rules @Jethro.
    That bench was just the best on it's second outing Jethro:D. IMG_0094.jpg2.jpg
    Yeah ...know the photo is a repeat but I love it as it makes my kitchen time so much easier;) as it's at the right height:).Measurements available for members;) to do this.

Maybe;) but they take a whole lot more storage space than that rug (8"x6"):rolleyes:. Got 2 picnic rugs under the back seat;).
    Have some metres of that stuff that's normally used for dash grip but works beaut outdoors under the shower & takes no space:cool:. This bus has a rear power position for the shower pump:p with on/off switch to prolong your 5 gallon allocation that dad collected from river/warmed on fire & set up:D. If we're doing warmed showers the ensuite is under the tailgate with the shower hanging off it inside the ensuite.
    P1000694.jpg2.jpg
    Yeah...same spot at Bretti 15 yrs later:cool:. Note the location of the barbeque! No kids with us now :(.
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 1:11 AM
    Syncro27 likes this.
  11. David H

Yeah ...did too but no one met me with a cold beer on my seat at Bretti;). It was actually longer checking out at Meridian to book for next year.
    Cheers

12. Grantus

Did you leave a beer in someone else’s fridge at Bretti? :rolleyes:

If so, they may also store and chill it, before returning it to you on your next visit.......;)

13. Grantus

Wish I’d known, coz I would have rang you, and asked you to get access to our vacated unit, and pick up a favourite orange silk scarf that Carole (stupidly) left in the top drawer of the dressing table, and didn’t check the drawer.

We emailed Meridian when we got home, and even rang a week later after no email reply.

It seems either the cleaning crew, or the next occupant have happily taken possession of a scarf they didn’t buy or own, and made zero attempt to find and return it to the obvious owner...:(

14. David H

Couldn't even give a beer away. Neighbours with Grey Nomad Vans & caravans were way over equipped:(. May have lost sight of how/why for them as some complimented us on how quick we set up & broke it down. They spend so much on 'getting the van/mobile home there & still have so much set up time:('.
    My view is if it's not easy you'll do it less;). This is easy & we're doing it more & sleep on 4cm of sheep skin underlay:D. It's actually as good as the bed at home:cool:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:49 AM
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

He's still feeling it :D;)

16. David H

In a better than good way:D:D:D.
    Cheers

17. chris taylor

Dave ,repeat the photo as many times as you want , you came up with a top idea that works for you and thats what is important,but i have to say it works for me too ,the only difference is yours doubles as a seat, work bench, mine doubles as a stove top cover come work bench. so one item two uses, I love new ideas and never get sick of looking at them and analyzing their potential . I noticed in one of your photos you have a bit of Aboriginal art .Looks good.

18. chris taylor

I bought a single burner portable gas stove last year before i went to Stanthorpe ,as it turned out i never used the big stove at all,if used properly , they are quite safe, cooked out side ,no smell inside , $25 and you can get your gas canisters from Bunnings real cheap. Much better than having to open the gas bottle storage area turn o the gas and then reverse the procedure when finished , the little stove is now part of my permanent cooking apparatus.

19. David H

Hi Chris,
    If you're talking of the paint on the side of the bbq/fireplace it was done by mates & my kids in early 2000;). We used to also paint the 44gl drums with scenes with spray cans:). Mate promised to bring some red (us organised dads) & it wasn't until after the kids had painted & we took them down to the river to wash them off did I realise mate was an idiot as the red was enamel. Those poor kids as we scrubbed them to get the paint off:(:oops:.
    Memories are made of these things (& the kids never forgot that memory:rolleyes:).
    Cheers