1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Sopru resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Sep 18, 2016.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Nice David, did you buy the whole kit (hi and low beam)?

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

All internal & external lights. The headlight beams are just one bulb with two LED bits for hi/lo. (illegal in NSW!!)

3. David H

P1100774.jpg2.jpg Hi Kombi Lovers,
    Another small step forward. Second battery coming back into play.

I apologise for the poor 'earth' job. Just playing & make better once I sort it. My son-in-law would not forgive me for this!

Did the last set up 30 years ago & have forgotten most of what I did re the stereos /Amps etc.
    All removed to get paint behind seats neat. Now doing a 2017 version that looks like the '80's.

So.. LH battery out, check rust areas & convert & then fish oil.
    P1100770.jpg2.jpg
    New battery in, new controllers & wiring from second fuse box. Yeah ....young guys I know there are many different ways but I'm old & keep it simple. Relay between batteries connected to ignition.

P1100771.jpg2.jpg

LH battery gets 'fed' when car is on & it's an 180 amp deep cycle battery only running interior lights & small 'pull' stuff.

And some glow finally!

P1100775.jpg2.jpg

I'm getting to love LED. With my sunglasses on!:D The white is so bright!
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

We have a lot of the dimmable panel LEDs inside, great when camping.. and use stuff all power. Good to see you got the double battery done, great thing is you can always jump start off it too, if the main battery dies.. :)
    Now you just need solar panel David and your set! :cool: Keeps it charged to the brim all day every day, so you are always ready to go. (or the fridge,...:rolleyes:)

David H likes this.
  5. David H

Yeah Dan,
    Solar next on the list but after Bus Stop. Give me something to do over winter! I do like your idea of the spare fridge stocked;)! Cold ones from the sun!

And your door cards look great!

Watched a new diesel Volvo burn down this week so I've taken your advice & brought help for others a bit closer than my engine bays blaze cut. This weeks experience led me to understand whilst my car is protected theirs may not be. Long time since I've seen a car burn! Fire ext kombi.jpg2.jpg

Extinguisher probably better than Glenn 20 to put out a fire!:rolleyes:
    Cheers

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    DanSA likes this.
  6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Its really looking good David H:). If you use Glen 20 it might at least keep the smoke smell to a minimum, but fuel the fire :confused:

David H likes this.
  7. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    Last LED in today & this light now negates 2 old fluros because it's up high. Bit of a challenge getting it where I wanted it but the rivets that go thru the pop top have 5 cent pieces as washers so the kombi is worth 10 cents more today. Don't tell treasury:rolleyes:! P1100789.jpg2.jpg
    Threaded the needle to get to this spot:)!
    Looked like a 'loser' at half time. Nice to win the game:D!
    P1100790.jpg2.jpg

Now guaranteed for Bus Stop 2017. We have water & lights. No stereo yet but not a high priority for me. Have to trim 2mm off that freshly painted dash. Nervous times for me doing thato_O.

I 'sorta' love this site. You 'put your photos up' & then 'have a look' & see the 'next thing' that needs doing! I'm going to paint the inside of that sky light. It just looks poor next to its cousins!:rolleyes:
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    melissa likes this.
  8. David H

I rewired the new stereo today that has adjustable colour in its face so I can match my dash colour! Did that after grinding out the right size gap on that new paint. 2mm needed. Just need someone smarter than me to be able to do the programming of the stereo!o_O Couldn't do it even with manual in hand! Must call on 20 yr old daughter to help!

A bit more 'secondary' wiring from second fuse box to under sink & beyond? (infinity & ?)

First battery 'locked in' with a latch/bolt.

Two steps closer!

Cheers,

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    melissa likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You know when your 8 year old niece shows you how to do something on an I pad you know you are getting to mature (old) for this, Works for me they know more then I do,Just give me a headache looking at it little lone working it out. You work it out David H thinks seam to work that way.:D:)

10. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    Nothing much done on the Kombi but.......went to Melbourne for the conferring of my partners Masters degree. I'm just reflecting in the 'shadow of glory' of what she has achieved!;) & what we have done as a couple to get there. Yeah..chief cook & bottle washer here for the last 2 yrs but look like an amateur when degree comes with High Distinction!:D
    She's awesome! Oh...& pretty good at what she does!:D
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  11. andrew

andrew Active Member

Fantastic to hear - a HD Masters is a great effort

David H likes this.
  12. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    Today was 'battery relay' day. Jumped a wire out of fuse box that's operated by opening the ignition circuit & ran to relay.
    Relay only opens 'whilst car runs' to charge second battery & most of interior is wired to second battery that disconnects as soon as key turned off. Should be fool proof but :rolleyes:.
    Learnt a bit about how important 'earth' iso_O:(. Lots of resistance creates heat:oops:. New earth strap back to other battery tomorrow:D!
    Relay.jpg 2.jpg
    This is how much I know about electrics.... O. Thanks to son in law who knows a lot more about electrics.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  13. David H

Certainly raises the average IQ of the room I'm in when she enters:D.
    Cheers

14. David H

Hi Kombi Groovers,
    Lots of fiddly stuff on 'old boy' today. Finished dual battery setup. Reinstalled gas system. Now have fridge & stove after checking operation & cleaning.
    Be able to keep beer cold at Bus Stop:);)!
    Fridge.jpg2.jpg
    Stove.jpg2.jpg
    Sponge is the anti rattle department. Best removed before lighting stove;)!!
    Lights, fridge, cooking ability. We'll see you at Bus Stop 2017:D
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  15. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

We have the same cooker with same rattle. Still goes well tho!

David H likes this.
  16. David H

Hi Kombi Groovers,

Meguiars wax yesterday. Oh my:D. Up one more level & easy to do .......just took 2 hrs. Why do they make bus so big:rolleyes:!!
    Looks like I'm finished this resto & now to enjoy the ride.

Bit like one relationship finishes & another starts. Bus Stop etc Not doing reno...out cruising:D!

All wiring done. Stereo in with matching light to dash!

I'd like to thank all 'watchers' of this thread. All supporters, contributors, advice givers & voyeurs:).

Thanks to you all.

Special thanks to Neil & Roy from The Bus Stop for their awesome sponsorship of this amazing chronicle of our Kombi journeys & the many parts they provided for my bus.

And to those very strong supporters THANKS. You know who you are!;)
    Radio.jpg2.jpg
    Finished.jpg2.jpg

Cheers
    David H

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Daz77, OSF and melissa like this.
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Finished? o_O

Ready to roll maybe, but finished? :rolleyes:

Like a house reno, that level only gets close, if you decide to sell.

Meanwhile, you just enjoy, and compile the next list of "little things still to do", when you get around to it. ;)

18. David H

Done dusted & finished for today & the next month:rolleyes:! Set the goal of Bus Stop & gunna achieve that. You've been a great supporter & motivator & kajoler cos you've been there 'done that'. Thanks;) Finished ?? ....prob never :D. But 'old boy' is schmick now. I'll post a daylight photo tomorrow as a swansong!
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the daylight pic. :)

Kombi owners generally, slowly accept the fact that "finished" only applies to the tasks you've taken on, not the vehicle as a whole. ;)

Otherwise, there'd be no postings in the "What did you do to your Kombi?" thread ........

Many are very close, but it's all part of Kombi ownership, that allows us all to enjoy the ride, in all stages of attempting that somewhat elusive "finished" goal. :p

The closer some get, the less the Kombi is used, and then risk only being just trailered to selected shows.:eek:

David H likes this.
  20. David H

Saw one today from North Coast Kombi (club) A very nice splitty ON A TRAILER!
    Just going to the next spot to be 'shown off'.
    No Dak Dak.
    Cheers