1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Sopru resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

At least you know you have clean shoes to enter your van. Know you can drive around the street with the hip hop boys.:cool:

David H likes this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

& pretend I'm 40 years younger:rolleyes:. Not!! Might just be accepted on the 'cruise circuit' tho.:cool::p
    Cheers

Pomboy64 likes this.
  3. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Or enjoy your machine because it's how you like it.....:confused:o_O;)

David H likes this.
  4. David H

Took me 30 years to be this confused Chris & I like the outcome:cool:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Mr Beckstar and Pomboy64 like this.
  5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Fully sic!

David H likes this.
  6. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

loving the LEDs, I just need a tank.

David H likes this.
  7. David H

Local boilermaker should be able to do a stainless tank for you. I can send dimensions if you like.
    Cheers

Pomboy64 likes this.
  8. David H

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    So Old Boy went in for some oil leak repairs on 2.7.17 & I got him back today after 3 weeks. New CV's, pushrod tube seals, rear crank seal, dipstick bellow, new front wheel bearings, steering column collar, timing marker etc etc. Most parts supplied by me...total cost $895. Got 1 km from shop when a cloud of blue white smoke decided to follow me homeo_O.
    :(:(:(
    Back in next week to see why it happened. Looks like pushrod & rear main seal/s.
    Not Cheers

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Poptop likes this.
  9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooooo

10. David H

Yeeeeeeeees. Bugger:eek:. You & I both know Kombi patience;)! Life & the universe is designed to see if you are truly the person to own a Kombi:cool: & know the Kombi groove.:D
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    OSF likes this.
  11. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Arrrggghhhhh! Sorry to hear Dave.

12. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Not what you want after giving him some costly attention, hopefully its something simple..

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Not what you want to see after the work that's been done,Hope that it is something that is an easy fix.

14. David H

Suspect 1.......crankcase pressure as dip stick proud of parking position by 4cm. Lots of oil above exhaust thus smoke:oops:.
    Suspect 2......blow by from pistons due rings sitting for so long. (again crank pressure & engine not dealing with excess)
    Interaction with mechanic....
    Me:"Did you adjust idle?"
    "No"
    "Idling 5oo rpm higher after pickup"
    "EFI has diaphragm in PCV valve to inform F/I."
    "So sucking air & idling higher & EFI not getting right info & crank getting pressure"?
    "Maybe... I'll investigate".
    Above...'Laymans interpretation'.
    Seems old boy just chose that 3 week period to fail PCV diaphragm that I didn't know existed after 30 yrs:confused:.
    Not heard from him after 5 days but a bit grooving that it's a simple thing due to age.
    The bus & me!;)
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  15. David H

Suspect 2 wins the prize:(. Oil rings 'gunged up'......diaphragm okay.
    Mechanic did 2 things other than check diaphragm. Drove it more whilst 'lugging it' (puts more fuel in & thus hopes to 'degunge' ring with excess petrol due to piston 'rattling' more) & put a tight rubber tube with cap to stop oil blowing up out of the dip stick tube & onto muffler. P1100977.jpg2.jpg
    Dip stick now hangs off LH battery mount:rolleyes:.
    P1100978.jpg2.jpg
    I love experienced mechanics & their 'work arounds'. He's now given old boy some time to decide if rings will free up (& I've been instructed to use him more.....oh the hardships I endure for Kombi love:p) or new barrels, pistons, rings etc (estimate $1800). Old boy been sitting too long!:oops: He now has best opportunity to behave well;). No charge from mechanic for this trouble spotto.:cool:
    Cheers

onetrackwonder and Syncro27 like this.
  16. Grantus

Here I was, prepared to not use 5th gear on the stint from Newie to Old bar, to cruise with the Bays.........but maybe Old Boy, needs to to do some running at T3 speed, to blow out those cobwebs? :rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  17. David H

Yeah.....He'll try to keep up & the exercise will do him good says the mechanic!;) Funny it didn't happen going to Berry. Yeah ...some oil up the back so you go where from (all those now repaired weeps) & how much usage (F/A) so you check oil level & dip stick not proud. But it seems 2 more months of being lazy (sitting in mechanics shop) has been the straw. He's going to get the flogging he deserves before Old Bar so we get there without a cloud of smoke..........or it'll be Hi Ho Silver:rolleyes: smoke:(.
    Cheers

Pomboy64 and Grantus like this.
  18. Grantus

Drive it like a workhorse......not a show pony! ;)

David H likes this.
  19. David H

I did to Berry & he loved it. I've been known for 'flogging' a bus & old boy loves to work hard! Just trying to get his old boy grooves back;). He'll be a daily drive around town for the next few weeks just to see if it helps his 'gunged rings'.:rolleyes:
    Please no jokes:oops:;)! Or you can if you must!;)
    Cheers

20. David H

For your Sunday laugh:D,
    Old Boy got flogged (mechanics recommendation) on a run to Hawks Nest (1 hour away). No fuel gauge for the last 20 years. Just done mileage numbers & 300km is safe. Yeah ......you know what's coming but let me justify a bit:rolleyes:!! "Lauren pls check last docket" & I work out mileage done since last refuel is 150km. He's good for over 300 so off we go.
    3km short of Hawks Nest he runs out of fuel. I'm embarrassed .....he's not;). "Old boy says the boss is a fool":mad:. Just 250km done. Could have saved that situation with a bit of 'didn't know how much fuel mechanic used to unclog rings' so refuel. Youngest daughter after return says "Rookie mistake Dad".:(
    NRMA save the day in 25 mins. Drive to servo. Fill tank. Now the fun bit? Fuel gauge actually read 1/3rd tank after 20 years not seeing the needle. We apparently even used the fuel 'inside' the fuel float:oops:;). Now that's some reserve....50ml. Def not the gauge;).
    Needless to say my thoughts were correct as we left the servo the fuel gauge needle continued to go south & then disappeared to his last 20 year slumber spot:rolleyes:. Very empty!
    New floatable fuel float needed;). Bought from The Bus Sop next day for $75 delivered.

& the engine ran like a swiss clock:D. Pulling strong at 130+.
    First time after reno I've felt like he was back to his old self. Balance was fantastic after new tyres & W/A with a well performing engine & chassis balance.
    I've had lots of 'let downs' in my life. Old boy is not one of them & I'm sorry I embarrassed him today:(. New sender to be fitted per club help doc that I've viewed so many times:rolleyes: & not done. Doing next:rolleyes:!
    Go on...smile now:p at least it wasn't you.
    I'm so bloody happy to have a bus that never lets me down (but allows me some space to do that to him):D.

One of the Best Kombi groover days :):D;). It's a balance thing!
    Cheers