1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 Sopru resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by David H, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Excuses, excuses......... too wet tomorrow? :rolleyes:

:p

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

NO progress. Too HOT! Too WET,.......welcome to my trade!!:eek:
    Getting too hard to organise!
    Weather used to have a reasonable pattern!:p
    Cheers,

3. Grantus

Got it...:oops:

Just trying to encourage progress, and stop you procrastinating about a task you clearly are not looking forward to......;)

4. David H

Carport & interior panel say No excuses but need 2 pr hands & wife at work. That's my excuse. Going to do some cavity waxing... inside seams & under chassis..tomorrow after dropping s/s tanks out.
    If it's not TOO hot!
    Cheers,

cbus likes this.
  5. David H

F**king door panels!:mad: Diverting once more to avoid the inevitable!
    At least I'm getting other stuff done in my avoidance!:D
    Cheers,

Grantus likes this.
  6. Grantus

I actually like the very neat clear look you've achieved to date. :)

Like the "rat look" others do, this may catch on, as the ubercool look for inside doors! :rolleyes:

When everyone else starts doing it, at least you'll be able to tell those "trendys", that you were the "trend setter"! :D

7. David H

Hey ..thanks very much for that comment & your view of what I was looking for . It's got a clean line to it... but wait for fitted 'bastard' front door panels.
    No 'trendsetter'... bit of a 'loner' but that lets my view be just that!
    Cheers,

8. David H

S**t Grantus,
    I thought that said "clean line". Now I see your rat rod humour with door 'not cards' & 'clear' line.
    Cheers,

9. David H

Hi Groovers,
    Costs always overrun as does time. Do it once...do it well!:D Be patient.
    Mine took a year & wasn't a full strip (cupboard kit didn't come out nor did pop top but due to provenance I know what's under it). Panel shop owner still working out final bill 2 weeks after bus left his shop.
    He's still got to cost it out & was always going to do a great job at the best price. I understand & trust him to do that.
    Initial quote $11k plus rust removal around window seals & LHF footwell/step $2k. RH step rust removal & pin holes in driver floor near accelerator, paint tunnel/seat backs/floor/dash/gas box cover & pop top roof $ yet to be discovered. I've given him $15k & he doesn't seem in a rush for more!;). I'm a bit relaxed about these things if I see the job progressing over time & that "fit it in when you can" works for him & is reflected in his price. Yet to see!:rolleyes:
    Very happy with result & panel shop owners relaxed approach that fitted mine! His price will show whether he gets Kombi Groover of 2016.:D

So final bill in today 15.3.17 from beater. I've given him $15k & was hopeful that $16,5k would do it. There were lots of extras. His bill $17k discounted from $22k for my relaxed approach:D & no pressure. My comment " I can live with that & put a smiley face on your wall for another happy customer....my guess was $16,5k........so I was close & thanks for taking care of me & 'Old Boy' ".
    Williams Body Works 6 Walker St Warners Bay Newcastle. Kombi Goovers of 2016.;)
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  10. David H

Finally worked out what I wanted as my signature!:D

This is to remind me!:p

Both s/s tanks out today. Frames scraped & rust converted.
    That's the inner rear of RH tank. & I see my Kombi's sub frame attached to it in small particles!:(
    Inside edge rear RH tank.jpg2.jpg
    Other side. Front end inner! Some more of my bus on the tank!:(

LHF inner.jpg2.jpg
    Frames
    Frames.jpg2.jpg

All done to be able to spray under floor with WAXOYL from JK.
    Is this stuff okay Cbus?

Thinking a bit more (after seeing where anodic argument has gone after 27 yrs) how to 'isolate tanks' a bit more.

Just diverting from doing door cards!:rolleyes:??

Will post some pics of sub frame ( & the other half of this anodic argument) after attending hoist at mechanics.
    Cheers,

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="David H, post:
    All done to be able to spray under floor with WAXOYL from JK.
    Is this stuff okay Cbus?
    Cheers,[/QUOTE]

I havent used that brand but seems its a wax thats more suited to application over new or sound surfaces.
    Unlikely to give the capillary action and rust inhibiting we need in that application.
    Even given the aerosol version is thinner.
    Do a google on peoples experiences.

I would suggest a degrease and thorough rinse with gernie.
    Thoroughly blow dry giving attention to folds and joins.
    Assuming light surface rust, pick your poison.
    More work equals better guarantee but all should do more good than just the wax or any black crap.
    Physicaly remove any rust and treat metal with phos acid . Rinse , then prime n paint with 2pac before a protective coating if desired.

Or run the POR15 system. (Good option.)

Or treat ( light surface) rust with tannic rust converter , rinse n scour, penetrol , tectyl aerosol.
    (Lazy but reasonably effective for small applications)

Personal alternative to POR 15
    I would degrease n gernie.
    Scour n sand, blast where necessary.
    Wax n grease remover wipe.
    POR15 into seams where its physicaly impossible to get to.
    (remember it only sticks well to rust/ rough surfaces. Not smooth paint or metal)
    Alternative would be rust converter then penetrol but I would give it a couple of weeks to fully harden and still remove from ' external' faces. (Overkill)
    Acid prep bare metal and rinse then light scour/ clean.
    Epoxy mastic applied to a finish that looks stock.
    Tectyl in places that the paint cant reach or any spots you think need it.

Logic being epoxy mastic his highly tolerant to surface prep.
    Looks similar to chassis black so I can see profile under the paint ( doesnt look like someone has tried to hide rust)
    Tough.
    Cheaper than POR15.

Time spent eliminating or treating rust is time well spent

David H likes this.
  12. David H

Thanks again cbus. Underneath not too bad. I'll post some photos. I did a test area with Waxoyl & googled it. Seems most unhappy when the product is cold & hard to apply. Cold is not the case in NSW ATM. Very happy with the way it converted rust but as I didn't pressure wash not as happy with stick but temp might change that.
    Your post changed three things for me.

1.WASH UNDER YOUR BUS.:cool:
    2. Penetrol inside beams
    3. Ease of job

Going to have to lay under the old boy tomorrow & gurney 12 inches from the ground. Only good part of that is it's going to be bloody hot & I'm going to get wet:D!

Here's the tank frames rust converted & painted & it just shows how good Lauren & I are at sharing!:rolleyes: The clothes line!

Cheers Tank Frames.jpg2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  13. Grantus

And I keep checking in to this thread to see how awesome the new door panels look..................:(

Very informative posts since...................and makes me come back each time.

I know it's inevitable, and they will happen one day, so I guess I just have to see which day.....o_O

14. David H

It's called "creative avoidance". Doing other stuff I find easier! We all do it....I just do it better some weeks!:D
    Cheers,

15. Grantus

Something to inspire you, and slow down that procrastination perhaps? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. David H

Sad:( to happy:D. Nice.
    Okay ...I'll get onto it. It may be the only thing done in the hot weekend predicted ahead.
    Working up a sweat to fit door cards with Lauren!
    Thanks for the motivation.
    Wow.. didn't realise you'd done a colour change on Kanga. Much better than white.
    Cheers

17. Grantus

Firstly, if your weather is going to be anything like ours this weekend, (40 Fri, 41 Sat), don't attempt the job. SERIOUSLY too hot!

Kanga Banga is still in original 2 tone Caravelle blue colours from new - those pics are from the SC. ;)

18. David H

Well thanks for giving me another excuse to delay!
    Will hide in the a/c.:D
    Cheers,

19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

At least David H If you do it this weekend being so hot. You have the plastic already there to stop the sweet getting into the doors. You might have to start early while it's warmish,before it gets too hot .You have it finished before the temp rises to high.Be positive you can do it,it's only a small mountain to climb over. all the best keep cool .Wayne

20. David H

Well I did gurney under old boy today after degreasing. cbus, it looked good (just chips & good surface) before I did this. Doesn't look like that after gurney! Photos coming. Bit of 'wear' where those S/S tanks were. Radiating outwards.
    So now I've got some work in front of me:( . A bit of phosphoric treatment. Etch primer & then paint. S**t cbus, why do I have to do it well? Why did you give me knowledge about how to do it well. Why did I **king ask.....Yeah...we want these buses done well but right about NOW I'm dissing the info!!:eek:
    Phosphoric tomorrow. 'Purple man' will thank you the day after tomorrow when the stain wears off my body!. Laying under bus 12" off the ground doing 'rust conversion' tomorrow.
    Thanks,;)
    At least it's better than putting door cards in!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019