1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'79 green machine

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by tinymcmassive, Oct 11, 2015.

1. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

G'day there kombi crew,

I finally thought it time to put up some pics of the resto on my 79 bus. Its been a long time coming.

This is how it started...... I found the bus ( with some help ) in the NSW Blue Mountains. it was in the the shed of a nice old bloke and hadn't been driven in a fair few years. changed the spark plugs, battery, fuel and oil. it started on the 3rd go and was driven onto the truck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

bodywork and paint. It was in pretty good nick with very minimal rust which was a nice surprise. I decided to go a bright green. when people saw the colour I mixed they said it was too much. but I had faith it would turn out all good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

back from painting being put together. I was able to keep and re-use all the original running gear. its a 2L fuel injected coupled with an auto gearbox.

[​IMG]

SunnyJim likes this.
  4. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

a fresh bus about to hit the road. and the wife and myself driving it out. first time in a kombi for us both!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

A stop at Gerringong on the long drive home for the first kombi landscape pic.

[​IMG]

this was how it was to stay for a year........ just threw a mattress in the back and went on a few camping / surf trips, over to Adelaide twice and used as a daily driver

Miss Rosie likes this.
  6. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

3 years and 2 kids later..........bus is running well with no issues and still have done nothing to the interior!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

I apologise for this being all at once, but I very rarely have the time to sit at a computer these days.

Earlier this year I got some awesome motivation ( I had a week off work and was extremely bored.......no surf! ). It was finally time to crack out the sewing machine and get some kind of interior in this baby.
    started by building a box to put behind the middle row seat. then covered the rear floor with closed cell foam camp mats for a bit of noise reduction. the ccf is in the walls as well. also got the first of the wall panels in place.

[​IMG]

bagman likes this.
  8. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

I then proceeded to put in the flooring. synthetic grass was my choice, i struggled to shape carpet to the contours earlier in the resto so i gave up on that. i found a fairly realistic grass that didn't look like shiny plastic.

i apologise for the terrible pic
    [​IMG]

9. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

got the door cards finished and installed. i plan to get some chrome or white door pulls and handle.
    [​IMG]

VZR69 likes this.
  10. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

the newly covered seats are put in the front and back, and the motivation runs out! that was a week of long days and late nights in the garage. but i was happy with what got done.
    At Christmas time i will pull out the dash and attempt to cover it. if it doesn't work well i might get a pro to do it as i am not sure if i can get the leather to follow the numerous curves on the dash. still not sure what i want to do with the roof as yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VZR69 likes this.
  11. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

and that's the story so far......albeit compressed down a fair bit. it has been a daily driver for the entire 5 years. so i have done little repairs here and there, but that's all the boring stuff. now the interior has taken shape the wife wont let it go! i get to drive it on the weekends if i'm lucky!

Cheers peeps! hope you enjoy this post.

12. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Looking very nice, you have done a great job :cool::cool::cool:

13. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I like your work! There is no such thing as too green:)

14. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

Thanks guys. A lot of blood, sweat and swearing went into it. Literally a lot of blood! I reached up behind the dash last year and a stray screw sliced my wrist / forearm 6 inches long. There was blood everywhere! Freaked the missus out. On the bright side it got me some Playstation time in for the next week.

15. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Love that green