1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to Buy a T3, but I may need to lower for parking

Discussion in 'New Members' started by UK Skippy, Sep 16, 2019.

1. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Hi All,

I’m another newbie hoping to join the team, I’ve been chasing a T3 for a while and think I have found the perfect one, my only issue is my car parks in my apartment are quite low and you drive down an angle to get in, the height of van is 195cm and my height of car park is 2.0 one side and 2.1 the other, sadly it’s the angle as I approach or drive out where I might have an issue. Does anyone have experience in lowering a T3, I don’t want to do it but I might need the 1-2 inches, any other options, looks like stick wheels and tyres.

Attached Files:

Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

Plenty of lowering options available, but not a fan personally, so have never done it.

Other more knowledgeable T3 pilots will no doubt have the answers for you.

Enjoy the ride........;)

3. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Cheers, don’t want to lower either, hopefully don’t have to but if I do maybe an inch or so won’t be noticed

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC UK Skippy, Hope you get the T3 you want and enjoy the ride wherever it takes you.

UK Skippy likes this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome UK Skippy to the Kombi Club;). Whilst some may go into trigonometry for this.... best answer is take it for a test drive to your apartment & if you can't 'get in' sue the architect:p. I had this a few years ago on another house & just took a 'leap of faith':eek:. Most under 2mtr spots also cope with the slope & give some latitude:)! I did learn not to reverse in with the poptop vent roof open tho'!
    May it fit & you get that new ride:cool:.
    Cheers

UK Skippy likes this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

They are dead easy to lower.

Easiest option is to take it to a spring person (eg Universal Springs in NSW) and get them to heat treat the springs

Make sure your shocks and in good condition and you are right to go.

Mine is lowered with H&R Springs and shorter Bilstein shocks and whilst it is very good - I dont believe the extra $$$ was worth it

My came with the Universal Springs and shot shocks.
    I should have just replaced the shocks with stockers and left it at that

Wayne murray, UK Skippy and Grantus like this.
  7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

You should get in if those SUV's can. Having said that I have lowered most of my vans and used most of the commercially available lowering springs. I have never been happy with any of them. The only set I have been completely happy with are genuine VW Carat springs. These springs are 25mm lower than Caravelle height and ride as good as Caravelle. I have always used lowering springs with Koni shocks which are highly recommended. Bad thing is Carat springs are not available in Australia. I have brought them in used from USA. Found them on TheSamba and its an expensive exercise. I have always done the work myself and the only special tools needed are spring compressors to do the front, rear are a doddle. Another much cheaper option is to stick with 14" rims with a lower profile say 60.

8. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Cheers David, I had the property manager do a physical measure for me, but like you say I think it will be a leap of faith which I am now waiting on response to offer. It will be a slow and stwady first drive in with towel on the roof and handbrake at the ready. You're not the first to make the mistake, and I'm sure I wasn't the second ;)

David H likes this.
  9. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Chers Barry this is good info, I'm in Brisbane but will sort something out, I don't want to lower but it is looking like I might have to.

10. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Cheers LuckyPhil, this is also good advise, typical though that all the good stuff we need is not in OZ, I have a mate who has a wheel shop so we will see how we go threre, last thing I want to do is ruin a comfortable ride, the 25mm maybe all I need, won't know the angle of the dangle until I enter the space, SUVs are fine as they enter their spaces flat, I'm the first at the ramp so have a gradient to contend with, first park it might be covered in bubblewrap :eek:

11. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

How much height did you gain Barry?

12. Grantus

Tyre pressures down to almost zero for the first attempt methinks? o_O

And quite a few bags of cement on board, also wouldn’t go astray.......;)

UK Skippy likes this.
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Mine is about 50 mm lower at front.
    Rear not as much.
    I find the pre-bought springs the car doesn’t sit flat.
    I find the heat treat way you can get a better answer

UK Skippy likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

@UK Skippy ..... welcome to the party that never ends :)

I was fortunate to lay my hands on a set of 30mm (lowered/shorter) factory springs which I fitted to my 1990 Caravelle many moons back ..... was happy with the ride and expect it gave me about a 25mm lowering.

15. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Thanks KahunaKombi, what size wheels do you run, any pics?

16. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Just for everyone’s info, I bought it and then checked it fits and I have 1/2 and inch spare on my best angle, that will do me, I’m stoked and spent the day cleaning her up and she is looking mint!!

17. Grantus

Congrats! :)

Post up some pics, when you get a chance. ;)

UK Skippy likes this.
  18. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Life has it's moments:D. Nice 'leap of faith' that worked with a smidge spare:cool:.
    Polish away!
    Cheers

UK Skippy likes this.
  19. UK Skippy

UK Skippy Member

Well here he is, 1987 2.1 WBX Trakka, it was modified in 1990 and as far as I'm aware there were no imports in 1987 so unsure the exact arrival into Aus but it may have sat around for a while in Germany. It is very original and still has original paint which made it a lot easier to check for rust (of which is only minimal and surface) has original Trakka seats and in good condition besides 1 small tear so I have covers on for now until I decide what to do next. My plan is to keep original for as long as humanly possible and just patch up in the meantime, Pop Top canvas has a few tears which I will repair, it won't be the prettiest fix but it is only cosmetic. The previous keeper looked after it very well and has been helpful with my questions so I think myself lucky, he named it Gary and like a boat I thinks its bad luck to change the name so Gary it is. Looking forward to more camping trips and enjoying the life, I have just returned after 3 & 1/2 years in the UK where we converted a transit and spent the last 4 months touring europe, the girlfriend and I loved van life and we hope to continue the memories here (this time I was smart enough to get AC), she returns to OZ in a month and I haven't told her of the purchase yet, she would probably say something stupid like "shouldn't you be looking for a job". I spent yesterday cleaning and trying to rejuvenate the plastic grill, not to bad thanks to Meguiars Exterior Trim detailer, will need a second coat, what does everyone else use for plastic?
    IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1730.jpg IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1699.JPG IMG_1727.JPG

Syncro27, TeeBee, prone and 2 others like this.
  20. Grantus

Great score! :)

Black plastic - I use Maguires Gold Class Trim Detailer, but with a small paint brush. I apply it thick, and leave it overnight to soak, then a second brush coat to top up where it has soaked in. Leave it again overnight, before removing the excess and buffing it dry. ;)

UK Skippy likes this.