1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessories on ignition

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Rosscoe, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Hi, I have a 1975 Kombi and was wondering if the ignition switch has an accessories section, mine has what appears to be three sections, OFF then first click and then ON then start, nothing happens on the first click.
    Thanks for reading....

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Just a word of warning. I know my ignition does not have an accessory switch, and I am running a non oil filled coil. If I leave the ignition on for any length of time I fry the coil.
    The oil filled ones will still get hot but self cool enough that they don't burn out.
    So I have run a feed up from my dual battery and run my stereo of that with a toggle switch to cut power to it. And my usb chargers etc..

But the ignition is a 66, so yours might have an accessory switch it.

Mr Beckstar and Rosscoe like this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

No accessory position.
    And you will likely fry the coil same as Brad's.

If you leave it on and it happens to be in the charge up phase of the coil it gets very hot.
    If you have done this usualy the van won't start even if the coil isn't stuffed.
    Cool the coil and it will start unless stuffed.
    Bag of ice works.

Mr Beckstar, Rosscoe and oldman like this.
  4. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Thanks guys, I dont ever leave the ignition on unless engine running of course. Will also look at running a feed from second battery to run my accessories, Dash Cam, GPS, Stereo, UHF and anything else I hook up later, with an on off toggle switch.. Thanks again always great info on this site.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  7. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Be careful if you run a secondary power for accessories, think about it.
    If your running the extra power (accessory power) to stuff that's connected to your ignition switch then you my be inadvertently firing up the whole system again (ignition included ) from a different source.
    The way to fix this problem is to isolate the different power feeds with diodes.
    Some sound systems allow 2 power sources that are isolated from each other.

Mr Beckstar, Rosscoe and Wayne murray like this.
  8. David H

I now run both systems independent other than the charge side that comes thru the relay upon turn of ignition key. All parked up 'draw' comes from the second panel behind passenger seat;). So taking @rstucke point no power comes thru ignition switch. Got 3 switches on that 2nd fuse box now. One stereo, one porch light under tanks, one day running
    lights. Fuses as marked & plenty of capacity to add more:D. P1110564.jpg2.jpg
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar, TeeBee and Rosscoe like this.
  9. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Gday mate, i will have a cigarette power socket fitted, it has 3 sockets and 2 USB sockets, it will be powered from the second battery and the extras will be plugged into the sockets, the stereo will be wired up away from the ignition circuit and fitted with a cigarette lighter plug, they will all have an isolator switch and can be unplugged from the second battery if necessary. All the accessories will be able to be unplugged individually, the only thing i am not sure of is the memory power for the stereo, would that be ok to have powered full time from the ignition circuit and still run the actual power supply to the stereo from the second battery??

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  10. David H

Just will run down main battery if left idle over time. Mine's parked up for some time between use so didn't want to risk it!
    You can do that (yellow wire:confused:) & run power from 2nd battery;). I find (not using stereo radio presets or clock) that just running thru the switch works for us:D. Why not just run it all thru the second battery & independent. That way if it does sit for a while only the second battery is flat;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  11. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Mr Beckstar, Rosscoe and David H like this.
  12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Not even my new VW has accessories position.

13. johnvw

johnvw Member

Hey cbus.. Do you know if this potential over heating problem occurs for T3s? Just wondering. John

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It would for any points type ignition.
    Don't know how it would work with a points replacement unit or later type 3.

15. David H

Why don't VW favour an accessory position other then the obvious coil problem? Must be easy to isolate the coil?
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The new VWs you can't even turn the radio off with the ignition on!:mad:

TeeBee and Mr Beckstar like this.
  17. TasDevil

TasDevil New Member

Hi guys

Looking for peoples opinions on the Traxide DT90 dual battery kit or other maker suggestions.

Its a 76 T2 and just looking to run Engel, 12v Camp lights, 12v TV, 12v phone charger, 12v pump for inflating lilo and maybe even a little radio/stereo from it.

Also what size Aux battery could i fit on the rear left hand side and what is the better type of battery to use.

Dont really know much about them

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Have a read of this thread:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/battery-help.58548/

19. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

I've used Matson and Projecta voltage sensitive relays without any problems. In the Kombi, I've got a 100ah agm battery on the left hand side of the engine bay - just had to find one with the right dimensions and terminals in good positions so that everything squeezes in behind and slightly under the spare tyre well

David H likes this.
  20. David H

^^
    What Patrick said. Gone a little further tho'.
    Had a blocking diode that failed in the early 80's so I'm over cautious:oops:.
    I've got a cut off relay between both batteries that isolates both batteries when ignition off & charges both batteries when ignition on & engine running. Fully independent camping system (Usb, fridge, stereo, lights, water pump etc no TV but I'm sure it'd take it) off another fuse box (behind passenger seat) that runs from LH battery (180 agm). Always have RH battery full to start with with this set up;).http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/76-sopru-resto.54261/page-12
    Having said all that I know nothing of inverters!
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019