1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessory activated fuse

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by David H, Mar 26, 2017.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Members,
    Test light didn't help. Can anyone tell me which fuse number is activated by the accessory key position.
    I can't find one. Did they have one?
    Thanks,

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

No acesssory position as far as I know.....
    However, the replacement, three pin ignition switches look as though they may provide a feed for accessories.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. David H

Thanks Mark.
    Funny that they would put a key position for acc but not any connections.
    But there are many :rolleyes: moments with these buses.
    Cheers

4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Ain't that the truth...:rolleyes:

5. David H

Here is my 'accessory activated circuit'. Very VW circa the 50's I think:D Accessory.jpg2.jpg
    Behind pax seat. Just to control radio power. A first for the old boy. Used to have a radio I could turn off! Can't kill power on the new radios ......they lose memory!:rolleyes:
    Now we're talking sophisticated Newcastle engineering with this switch.!!:rolleyes: Beats German "forgot to finish that" engineering.o_O
    Don't judge but do smile:). This is the 80's making a revisit but new (with old stickers that I''ll fix).
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think that radios, old or new, drew enough current to be a concern....?
    My bus has an old radio cassette that gets left on occasionally but has no effect on starting...
    I suppose if you're powering an amp & sub. it'd be a different matter, more equipment = higher draw.
    Cheers, Mark

7. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Many modern head units do draw power even when turned off via front panel as there is still a led light and a clock displayed. My unit has one input for the non-volatile memory that should always be powered up, and another that actually powers the unit and can (or should) be switched off via some kind of additional switch or via ignition circuit if you never want to listen to your system whilst parked up. If you just have a standard single battery setup and both these inputs always powered up you 'may' experience flattening of the battery between trips or when you leave your bus at the mechanics or panel shop.

8. David H

All the display light takes energy! Doesn't turn off unless accessories turn off. I was hopeful key would do that & your knowledge said "no". Thus the 50's answer!!
    Cheers

9. David H

Could have done it with an ignition circuit control. Just didn't want key in ignition position whilst parked to run radio! Not good for ignition circuit. Two batteries.......happy with 50's switch method.
    Repeat old comment.....Just when you thought those German engineers were perfect they prove you wrong!:rolleyes:
    Cheers

10. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

And modern stereo's need power to keep the memory for channel presets etc, would be a PITA to have to set them every day.

11. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

The T3s have a key in ignition sensor built into the later ignition switches which can be used as an accessory position. maybe there is an equivilent for the bay windows.

12. merrymike

merrymike New Member

My Sony stereo can be hooked up to a 12V hot wire and doesn't need an accessory circuit. You can also turn off the screen completely by holding down the on/off button for 3 seconds. You still draw a little current for the memory, but you're not drawing anything else.

oldman likes this.
  13. David H

Hi merrymike,
    Thanks for that. I'm still reading the manual!o_O
    Cheers

14. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes like to play radio/cd when engine off so have a 2 way switch to power the noise. One input from ignition and one direct from battery with in line fuse. As above also need full time power to device for memory.

15. merrymike

merrymike New Member

Mine is even simpler - no extra switches required.

Wiring for a stereo head unit loom usually is something like this -

Black - NEG Ground - wire to the car body.
    Red - +12V (switched if you have an accessory circuit)
    Yellow - +12V (hot wire on all the time to keep the memory)
    Blue - accessory power signal - ie. if you have an electric aerial, or an external amp - this tells the accessory you've turned on the head unit, so either raise the aerial or power on the amp.

Then you have 4 pairs of cables for the speakers.

In the case of my Sony unit, the red and yellow wires are both connected to a +12V hot wire. The radio doesn't come on until I touch the power button on the head unit. Because both red and yellow stay connected to a hot +12V wire, the radio and the screen doesn't turn off when the ignition switch is turned off. One short press of the ON/OFF switch turns the radio off, but leaves the clock on. A long press turns everything off.