1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AccuSpark Electronics

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Searl'e, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Skankles

Skankles New Member

I installed a 123 Ignition vacuum advance in my 2L two years ago and it runs really well. Very easy to install too.

2. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

Well the rotor that came with mine didn't last long, so annoyed.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Warranty Claim :rolleyes: was it the 123 or some other dizzie :confused:

4. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I didn't go with the AccuSpark

5. merrymike

merrymike New Member

I can testify to the awesomeness of the 123 TUNE - I went with the 123 TUNE + (Bluetooth version). I have a new phone now which synchs from the dash, so I get a little tachometer, GPS speedo and engine temp, advance, vacuum from my phone screen. When you think how much it costs to have all these gauges installed the unit is very good value.

Only issue I really have is I don't seem to get much vacuum signal from the Weber 40 IDFs I am running (using only the port over number 4) but I am going to try an anti pulse valve to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I may have to increase the unit's sensitivity to a vacuum signal from the stock spec.

I've also done some fun things with the ignition timing at the top and bottom of the range. Anything below 850 RPM, the ignition advances to about 12 degrees (makes for easier starting and regulates the idle).

I've also set the advance to drop back from 32 degrees (total) to 30 degrees beyond 4000 RPM, so when revving high in 3rd (say pulling up a hill, with foot to the floor) the engine timing is dialled back a touch.

1500king, PICT, Mordred and 1 other person like this.
  6. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

G'day all, any update from those using 123 TUNE over the past couple of years, be interesting to get a long term review.
    Has it been worth the investment to go to 123 TUNE?

Thanks

Steve

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@deeksy62

I only installed my 123 Tune a couple of weeks ago but I am very happy with it.
    The extra gauges are a definite bonus.

I have stock carbs and was not getting much response from vacuum. Turned out it was leaking at the hose connection at the manifold.
    Would not have picked it up if it wasn’t for the gauge.

oldman and deeksy62 like this.
  8. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I've had my 123 for a couple of years and happy with it.
    Dialed in a curve using the stop watch function (took some time).
    I have 2 ignition curves on mine, one for 98, one for 91.
    The model I have has no built in vw curves and connects to my computer through a long USB cable.
    The coil I bought with it shows an open circuit secondary, still works but I think not for long.
    It's the 3 ohm Bosch coil recommended by 123. I'm thinking of changing it to a 1 ohm Bosch coil I have (lowest resistance coil recommended).
    The manufacturers recommend a modified rotor button, whereby they remove the resistance and replace it with a copper rod.
    Also the rotor button they use has a step in it corresponding to a step on the distributor shaft. If you use a vw rotor (parallel shaft) it doesn't fit well (rocks back and forth on the shaft).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    deeksy62 likes this.
  9. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Been installing them on everything for a few years. Zero faulty returns so far. I have had a few cars through that already had them installed by others and found badly set up base curves and incorrect vacuum curves. The one thing they miss is that the 101kpa is atmospheric pressure as the graph is relative to absolute pressure.

For those running webers, You really need to just use the throttle lever screw as a throttle stop, but about 1/2-3/4 turn in from the throttle plates being fully shut, then get idle air from the bypass screws. this keeps the throttle plates in the right place for ported vacuum advance and also keeps the carbs off pulling fuel from the progression ports at idle. Vac advance needs to be fairly sensitive, but works well off of the single weber advance port. If your venturi's are too big(eg 36mm vents and 44 webers on a std 2.0), then you need to sort carbs out first.

They are completely electronic...no shitty advance weights etc, cap and rotor are both standard bosch/beru items.

Skankles, David H and deeksy62 like this.
  10. Skankles

Skankles New Member

No issues with mine. I just make sure the valves and carbs are set correctly every 6 months. By the way my carbs are 44mm Weber’s and I have the vacuum advance dizzy.

deeksy62 likes this.
  11. merrymike

merrymike New Member

I've had my unit for nearly 4 years now - once I fine tuned the advance curves, it's been set and forget.

I'm not sure if I'm getting much vacuum advance though - running Weber IDFs. Could probably dial up the sensitivity. No hesitation on light throttle so I'm guessing it's doing what it needs to do.

Before I made the switch I went through a dizzy every other year, so it's probably paid for itself now.

The best part is how smooth and quiet the engine is at highway cruising speeds.