1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADR Compliant Wheel Studs

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Harribo, Sep 13, 2021 at 3:29 PM.

1. Harribo

Harribo Member

Hi All (Again),

My new 15" wheels arrived and i test fit them and all seems well!

I need to fit some longer wheel studs to the back wheels and was about to order some from the UK until i googled fitting them and realised i'd need a mechanic.

Spoke to a mechanic and he said he could fit them but only if the studs were ADR compliant! Now obviously coming from the UK they aren't ADR compliant, does anyone know anywhere in Aus that sells them?

Or is it a job that i can undertake myself, it looks like in need a press to fit the studs.

I probably sound confused, which i am slightly as i only have limited mechanical knowledge!

Any ideas legends?

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021 at 4:42 PM
  2. Harribo

Harribo Member

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Those studs just screw into the disc on the front. maybe just use a bit of Locktite.
    The rear already have studs.
    The nuts have a different "mating face" to normal VW.

Shouldn't need a mechanic for that.

If you were putting mags on then you need thicker rear studs and you need to press the old ones out and press new ones in

This is all to suit the Mefro wheel - doesnt allow for mag wheels

5. Harribo

Harribo Member

Hey Barry, thanks for that.

Shouldve said that its a Mercedes steel wheel that i've got....when i fitted the wheel to the rear hub the nuts only went half way over the stud when tightened.

Are you saying that these nuts are different and take up more of the thread so to speak?

The front bolts seemed ok but just want to be sure!

Cheers

6. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

I use the studs from T3technique and they come with the specs stamped in the back of the stud just like the originals(10.9 from memory).

7. Harribo

Harribo Member

After more reading and research i believe the nuts in the mefro kit have a smaller ball / seat than the stock T3 wheel nut...

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's correct.

9. Harribo

Harribo Member

Awesome, finally i got something right!!

oldman likes this.
  10. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

If you order a mefro wheel fitting kit either from the UK or US that will work for you. The Mercedes steel
    Wheels have an R12 ball seat where as the standard nut is R14. The mefro kit is R12 with 14mm thread. Don’t forget to take the rear brake drum locating bolt out of the face of the drum (small bolt about 10mm) otherwise rear wheels won’t fit well ;). Once wheel is on the locating bolt is obsolete :?

KahunaKombi and syncro like this.
  11. Harribo

Harribo Member

Ok, so just to clarify that removing the rear drum bolt will have no negative effect??!!!

That would make sense as the wheels sat further out than than the stock rims when i did the test fit.

I ordered some small ball seat lugs and nuts yesterday from t3technique...

Dapom likes this.
  12. Harribo

Harribo Member